It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

ownedbyapaint HB User
Question re: first visit/baseline urine test at PM clinic

I had my first visit to Pain Management a week ago. While I was there, i took a urine test for baseline. It is possible that i will test positive for vicodin, i had taken one 5 mg pill a few days before my visit from over a decade old dental RX. It never even dawned on me that I would get tested for that. I have never asked for narcotics, and have not been rx'd any since early 2000's. My question is, will I get dismissed if i test positive? That was my very first visit with them, I signed the PM contract, but the ingestion was obviously before I signed the papers and after years of chasing back issues and severe nerve pain this is what led me to finally see the PM doctor. Any thoughts on this? I hate to think i might get kicked out before I even get started.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User
Re: Question re:first visit/baseline urine test at PM clinic

Did you have the opportunity to tell them what, if any, meds you had taken? On one hand, if you had some meds that had been prescribed to you, they are yours. The problem arises when one says they have or have not ingested a medication when that statement is not true. Whether or not it will show up depends on several factors, but honesty is not only the best policy with pain management, it is the ONLY policy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

ownedbyapaint HB User

No, it did not even cross my mind. I had to write a list of my rx's but did not put that down since #1 it was only one pill taken days earlier and I had no more. I took dayquil days earlier too and did not report that. I did not even realize it was a narcotic until i googled it. I thought it was rx strength tylenol. I guess in a way it was. I am kicking myself now, big time. So now I dont know if I should call and say something or wait for my appt.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User

I hope you kept the old Rx bottle, take it with you to your next appt. if not, see if you can get a record of the Rx from either the dentist or pharmacy. Your 10 yr old pill probably had only 0 to 10% effectiveness. But I do not know how age affects its metabolites showing in an UA. You do not say exactly how many days earlier you took the pill. The PM and test lab set a level at which below they consider it a negative result. This level might show you clean for just one 5 mg hydrocodone in as little as 48 hours or as long as 5 days. There might be a slight trace for 7 to 10 days. The testing varies and the rate each individual clears the drug and it's metabolites out of their system can vary significantly.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

ownedbyapaint HB User

No, I did not keep the bottle. I certainly wish I had now. I have moved many times including several states since I got the rx, but I bet I could figure out who rx'd it by making a few calls monday morning. I took it on a sunday night and the test was thursday afternoon.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

If you really want and need a good PM program, honesty is the number one factor to receive help. All of the people here who are in pain management programs understand that there is no wiggle room -at all. Chances are one old expired pill is not going to show up, but if you thought it might help your pain when you took it, you should have mentioned it, and whether or not it had any effect. Did the one pill follow through all the moves? That is what a PM doc would ask. I do hope all works out, but this is a very difficult process and it takes a long time to build a trusting relationship on both sides. How did the appt go otherwise?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
(female)

ownedbyapaint HB User

Yes it helped some. I'm scheduled for si joint unctions in two weeks and I'm hoping that is going to give me the most relief. I'm guessing the test was negative because nothing was said to me. I did feel that the conversation was one sided and I kept getting cut off. Only one problem was partially addressed. I have severe facet arthritis and he only wants to treat that with opiates. I'd rather do injections. I can't function the way I need to on opiates. I have to say it's quite depressing knowing this is direction I'm going. I'm only 36, with two active boys.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

If you have a choice, there is no reason to stay with one particular doc. Again, an honest conversation as to your expectations and hopes is best. Sometimes it is very difficult to decide which way to go, but you should never be forced down a road you do not want to take.
Best on your decision. Have to ask, does that paint have 4 legs?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
(female)

ownedbyapaint HB User
Re: Question re: first visit/baseline urine test at PM clinic

Yep, that paint has four hooves which is one of the reasons I'm seeing PM. Lol There are several doctors at that practice and might switch to one of the doctors in the practice but a closer location to me. I should have researched this dr before I went to him. His reviews are terrible.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Re: Question re: first visit/baseline urine test at PM clinic

It is hard to find a good doc. But those reviews can be skewed by people with an axe to grind, so i try to take them with a grain of salt. I do wish you the best in getting the treatment you want. It is so frustrating!
I was injured by one of those 4 leggers too! He has been "re-homed."

Reply Reply