HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Are there any safe pain meds for people with liver problems?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/976363-there-any-safe-pain-meds-people-liver-problems.html)

mp71 03-10-2014 06:31 PM

Are there any safe pain meds for people with liver problems??

I have searched the internet and exhausted myself asking doctors about safe pain meds for people with liver problems. I was just diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease "NASH" Staeohepatitis. discovered during gallbladder surgery Dec 2013. I also have Scleroderma autoimmune, Spondylolisthesis, high blood pressure, migraines, lipomas in lower back and sleep apnea. My back hurts all the time, literally and migraines are usually weekly at least. I can't find a pain med safe for liver. It seems the Drs I have seen are just as lost. Is there anyone out there in chronic pain that also has liver trouble? Surely I am not alone in this dilemma. Praying for relief.

Shoreline 03-10-2014 10:08 PM

Re: Are there any safe pain meds for people with liver problems??

Hi John, I don't have liver disease, but once you get passed the pain meds with Tylenol or Motrin in them , pure opiates don't damage the liver. You can get oxycodone and hydrocodone without Tylenol or NSAIDS and all the long acting opiates don't contain these meds that do cause liver damage like Tylenol and NSAIDS. There are also different routes of delivery that can reduce first pass through the liver like transdermal delivery, their is intrathecal delivery with implanted pumps, But in general pure opiates don't cause or damage internal organs. Its the additives that harm the organs and the abuse on the street that exposes people to HEP C and other infections, But pure opiates are relatively safe when used responsibly.
Are you seeing a pain doc or a doc for your liver that really doesn't have a good understanding of pain management and what is available.
Welcome and good luck, Dave

mp71 03-10-2014 10:56 PM

Thank you for responding! I listed on my profile all of the things I have been diagnosed with and the meds I take. So far all the Dr's 4 so far act afraid to give me anything for pain. One clinic isn't even "allowed" to prescribe any. I suppose because of all the people who abuse them. It sure makes it bad for people who need pain relief to get through life. I have MRI scheduled Wednesday with ortho because of the spondylolisthesis. But I also have scleroderma, chronic fatigue and migraines. So pain is a daily part of life for me. Can the opiates be taken long term? Why are they hesitant to help people in pain? If people abuse the meds then, stop prescribing. I could understand that. So tell me more about the implanted pump? I am so desperate for relief I'll do anything! I even started acupuncture. I read about lidocaine IV's seriously need relief.

LadyBassPlayer 03-11-2014 09:38 AM

Hi mp and welcome to the boards! I am sorry that you are dealing with so many illnesses and have to deal with NASH as well. I have "fatty liver" which is similar to but not the same as NASH and just wanted to add that losing weight, or more specifically body fat, can be helpful, if that applies to you. Fat in the liver usually but not always is associated with being overweight as in my case. So making some common sense diet changes -- nothing drastic -- should help...and help your chronic pain as well. Things like eliminating most sugar and processed foods and bad (animal sourced) fats. Concentrate on eating lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy and good fats like in nuts and olive oil and moderation with portion sizes. This is good advice for anyone with liver or pain issues-- a healthy diet. Also, as important as avoiding Tylenol is to avoid alcohol as that stresses the liver too.
I've lost over 10 pounds in the past couple months just from diet changes like these...it helps NASH as well as chronic pain, whatever the source. Best wishes and God bless you as you wind your way through the maze of complicated medical conditions! I can relate all too well. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

mp71 03-12-2014 06:55 PM

Hi! Thank you so much! I went to MRI today, it was cold & loud. Lol. I get results on 24th. I made a trip to ER got migraine Monday and he prescribed Methocarbamol maybe tension is causing migraines. Still am hurting so much. Bending over is the worst. Also sweeping/mopping in that position just takes my breath. I did go to a "Healer" she does chiropractic and acupuncture. She put me on some natural supplements. The brand is "Standard Process" I'm now taking Livaplex, Choline and Hepatrophin PMG. All are supposed to help with the fatty liver. Yes I also need to lose about 20-30 pounds. I'm really short so fat has nowhere to go but out!! Lol I am going to look for a pain management Dr. I have a list now and will call tmrw to get appt. Do I need referral? Wish me luck. And I'm so sorry all of you are going through pain too. It's miserable. Praying for you all. I'll talk to you soon.

mp71 03-29-2014 11:53 PM

Results from MRI on my lower back shows a birth defect. A bone didn't form bottom of spine. It's called spondylolisthesis and I'm supposed to try shots first. If that doesn't work he said surgery was the only other option. The problem is that surgery isn't a guarantee fix. Sounds pretty risky. I'm hoping shots help. I don't think I want surgery.

LadyBassPlayer 03-30-2014 08:41 AM

Hi mp...glad you posted again, and I'm sorry that you may be in a position to decide whether to have surgery or not. That's almost always a very tough decision especially when the surgery is considered particularly risky .... I pray that you get good relief from the injections and that you won't need the surgery! Keep us posted!