It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
xanax, ibs??

alright.. if you have read my previous posts.. i just went to a gp doctor who prescribed me a script of 20 xanax.. no refills.. well my question is... w/ ibs.... when i go to a psychiatrist.... i wanna tell them about this.. as my anxiety and panic comes a lot when my ibs acts up... or switched.. my panic and anxiety caused my ibs to act up..... do you think she/he would me more willing to give me a presciption to a benzo, to take as needed... than a general practice doctor??? b/c they always shove anti-depressants down my throat... i don't wanna take a medicine everydya.... just when i need it.... any thoughts on this matter?

Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Cool Re: xanax, ibs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletinboard25
alright.. if you have read my previous posts.. i just went to a gp doctor who prescribed me a script of 20 xanax.. no refills.. well my question is... w/ ibs.... when i go to a psychiatrist.... i wanna tell them about this.. as my anxiety and panic comes a lot when my ibs acts up... or switched.. my panic and anxiety caused my ibs to act up..... do you think she/he would me more willing to give me a presciption to a benzo, to take as needed... than a general practice doctor??? b/c they always shove anti-depressants down my throat... i don't wanna take a medicine everydya.... just when i need it.... any thoughts on this matter?
Your panic and anxiety causes your IBS to act up. Panic attack does not cause IBS. Do you have IBS or Bile reflux? IBS, diarehia, etc. or a feeling of heart burn, sinus drainage in throat, things coming back up the throat being a reflux? The bile reflux is common with panic attack and would be more justifiable to use xanax to treat it, because regular ant-acid medications usaully don't work for the type of reflux caused by panic attacks. Xanax also would help with IBS because it would calm the spasms to the large intestine during attacks. I don't think that doctors like to give medications on an as need basis and I guess you are unusual to be able to have panic attacks and take them that way. Although I don't believe in taking them as needed, that does not matter and I can't see why a Psychiratrist would not let you take them that way. You can't really be abusing them unless you take a bunch at once and you could do that being on a regular dosage. You might suggest that if He is not comfortable with giving you refills on the bottle, that you call into his office and come pick up a new perscription as needed. This is how drugs like morphine, etc. are refilled. This way He would see that you are not abusing them. One other thing if you are only tying to treat the IBS or bile reflux ( which ever you have ) there is another medication that you might consider asking you Psychiratrist about. It is called Carafate (Sucralfate generic name). It is a super ant-acid that coats the stomach and weights down the bile so it will flow out through the intestine properly. Also by coating the stomach and intestines it lets ulcers, lesions in the intestings and such heal. It is safe and does not enter the blood stream. Just some suggestions. Hope this helps in any way. Good luck

Sickman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: xanax, ibs??

thanks a lot for the reply.. although i disagree w/ one of the things that you said.. you said panic can't cause ibs.. i know it can't cause it... but i do disagree and feel, if i get in an uncomfortable situation where i panic, it definitely can effect my ibs, and make me have an ibs episode... ibs-d is what i have battled.... being worried there is no bathroom, only adds on to the ibs...
but i don't have the reflux kind.. no heartburn.. however a long time ago i was given a script for hmm... nexium, and prilosec.... when they didn't know what it was.... thought it was just an ulcer.. but the gastro ruled that out...
i understand what you are saying about htem not liking to fill a prescription for as needed basis..
thats what i have done w/ my prescription to donnatal.... for mys tomach... one of the ingredients in donnatal is a sedative, and its used for its calming effects... he gave me 120... to take 4 times daily for a month a year ago..... i didn't take them all.. but they expired.. so this year i called him and asked him for another prescription for it.. and he called it in..

i doubt thought my general practice doctor would do that w/ my xanax.....
i guess its just tough since there are a lot of people out there who abuse this type of medicine.... and then theres those who truly can benefit from it...

Old 12-04-2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

"Although I don't believe in taking them as needed"...... can i ask you why you don't believe in taking medicines as needed....?? that does not make sense to me...

Old 12-05-2003, 12:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Thumbs down Re: xanax, ibs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletinboard25
"Although I don't believe in taking them as needed"...... can i ask you why you don't believe in taking medicines as needed....?? that does not make sense to me...
I did not mean that panic attack does not give you IBS symptoms, I just meant that it does not create IBS.

As far as you question, you basically answered it yourself in your previous post. So many people have abused this type of medication. Most people will tend to have more "as needed days", then "not needed days". Some people think this stuff is candy, just pop one and what a fine day it is. This is unfortunate for those that truly need it, because it is this that makes it so hard to get. I think, "As needed", creates an immediate flag in a Doctors mind toward abuse. My main reasons that I do not like the idea of as needed is: Benzos, especially xanax is very powerful. It takes time for the body to adjust to the sedation side effects that make it safe to function properly while driving, etc. The other reason is that one might be having a very bad few weeks or month and take it everyday and then feel better and just quit. I was on an srri drug, that is not a powerful or additive as xanax and I went off of it with a Doctors advice to fast. I am totally disabled to work at all now and have been for over 2 years. I was asleep for 8 days during this episode and I could and almost did not make it. I need xanax now, because nothing else works for me, but I take it on a regular schedule and I will for the rest of my life. Someone can tell you, "I quit xanax cold turkey and I didn't even get any withdrawals". That may be true, but who wants to be the exception to the rule. Like I said, "This medication is very powerful, can cause withdrawal seizures and can be life threating if stopped cold turkey. I take it every 6 hours and it is certainly not candy or something to be taken lightly. Be careful, I don't want this to happen to anyone else. You really don't know what it is like to have to set alarm clocks to wake and take your medication, until you have no choice. No medication that alters the central nervous system is non-additive in one form or another and is dangerous stopping cold turkey. Believe it or not, you may start and stop several times and then one time it just catches up with you.

Sickman

Old 12-05-2003, 12:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

My GP has given me xanax with refills for years, but xanax does not help me as much as Klonopin. I have recently switched to a pdoc & he gave me Klonopin with 3 refills to take as needed. He said once my AD kicks in good, I probalby won't need the Klonopin on a daily basis. I also have had in the past 2 ulcers, now have IBS & reflux. Isn't it fun how panic just tears up our bodies?????

Old 12-05-2003, 07:24 AM   #7

luvmyboys HB User

Hey guys,

I have had lots of stomach problems for at least 20 years. They were bearable and I didn't need much medicine except like tums or rolaids until about 8 years ago. After my kids were born, I got worse. I freaked out at every little sniffle or problem they had. Eventually I got depressed and of course they started giving me antidepressants. I couldn't tolerate any of them. Tried some in each different class. I have IBS-D so the ssri's made the diahrrea worse. I would dehydrate and wind up in the hospital. The tricylics made my heart go crazy. Then I tried Remeron. Hated it. It made me a zombie, but at the same time so jumpy I couldn't sit still. They kept telling me to give it time so I did for 5 months. Then they said if it wasn't better by now (side effects) to just stop taking it. I asked about tapering. They said with remeron you didn't have to so I didn't. I got so sick I was in the hospital for 6 days and don't remember most of it. That's when my panic attacks started with hyperventilation and many trips to the ER. I also had to start xanax at that time. My stomach problems which include bile reflux gastritis, delayed gastric emptying and IBS have gotten much worse and it is due to the panicky feelings that I almost always have. I take prevacid and carafate. The carafate works well. It has pretty much stopped the diahrrea. I also take xanax on a regular schedule. Very low dose of .25 usually about 4 in the morning and 1/2 if that (.125) two more times during the day, usually about noon and 7 pm. Hope this helps. I really want to get off the xanax, but every time I start trying, I start feeling sick. Thinking it's withdrawal. I guess I need to find a proper tapering schedule.

Closed Thread