It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #1

shellbell1282 HB User
Exclamation Need Help/Advice- Please read!

I was diagnosed three years ago with having anxiety/ pannic attacks. I was bullemic for about two years in high school and when my parents found out they drilled into my head that I damaged my body and I got so scared and started to believei t..thats when I had my first "anxiety" attack. I felt dizzy , like I was going to pass out, my heart was racing, I was having difficulty breathing, etc, and I made my mom call 911. These attacks started happening every day and it was very frightening- I didnt feel better unless I went to a hospital and was checked out and everything was ok. I was put on ativan for anxiery and zoloft. THis helped alot but the "attacks" still happened at least once a month. I felt so out of control when they did, becasue every time I thought I was going to die. No matter how many times something similar happened before and I lived, I was always afraid that there was something wrong that they never caught, and I was going to die that time. Sometimes my heart rate went up very high- one time it was up to 200. The paramedics were very worried and insisted that I should go to the hospital- my parents were so frustrated with this and always said it was just anxiety. Every time I had a physical symptom of something, like headaches, I would worry that I had a disease or something and that I was dying. Death is my biggest fear- or at least dying young (Im 21 years old now) and thats what made this so scary for me. Sometimes I would be sitting in class and all of a sudden my mouth went dry, and I felt like I couldnt swallow and my heat started racing, I felt chest pains and very disoriented. This scared me because it wasnt like I was thinking about anything to make me feel anxious. When it happened at times like that it would convince me even more so that something was seriously wrong with me. I went through so many tests, mainly the doctor just wanted to put my mind at rest- MRIs, CT scans, EKGs, echocardiogarms, blood tests, and they found nothing wrong. Well actually, one time it was found that I didnt have enough fluid in my blood- something syncope...and I was prescribed a type of steroid but I never really took it. I went for a second opinion and that cardiologist didnt think I had that even though he didnt test me for it. They thought that I had tachyarchadia at one point but even that was eventaully ruled out after wearing a monitor for a month. I always felt better after being told that I was healthy, but every time I would experience another phsyical symptom it would upset me and I would think something was wrong. I get thses "attacks" about once a month now. When it happens it completely takes control over me and I cant think about anything else. I get so upset and afraid that something is physically wrong with me and that I mgiht be dying and no one knows it and no doctor has made the right diagnosis. It just doesnt make sense to me that I keep feeling these things. Some of these symptoms I have often are twitching/fluttering near my eyes..tingling sensations throughout my body...dizziness, feeling as though Im gonna faint..feeling as though Im gonna fall when Im walking...lightheadedness.... The feeling that most recently has been bothering me is the dizziness...I feel it practically every day. I broke my nose a year ago and since then one of my nasal passges i blocked so im not breathing properly and on top of that i have slight asthma suppsoedly- Ive been coughing all the time....so Im hoping...that because Im not breathing right, its causing dizziness. But I still cant help but worry that something is wrong. Then yesterday the back of my head was hurting and I noticed a very small lump. Its only been there for day so far but it really hurts and of course this is worrying me too. I started to think that maybe all of it is somehow connected- like I have a brain tumor.. My grandfather died of a brain tumor..... I dont know waht to do anymore. I cantt talk to anyone about it cause they are sick of hearing it. But Im restless. Does anyone have any advice? Please help! Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Need Help/Advice- Please read!

My advice is to go to a psychiatrist who understands that your panic attacks are real, that the symptoms you feel are real. That being said, the physical symptoms are a result of the panic, and not an indication of some dreaded disease. I would say from reading your post, that you also suffer from OCD possibly because of the panic attacks. There are meds they can give you to help you to not obsessively worry about your health. Many of us do and meds do help to keep those thoughts from taking over in your mind. I can relate to your obsessive worry about health, my meds have helped me to control it. Now, if a thought enters my mind, I can push it aside & not dwell on it. That is what you need, something to help you do that, because at this stage, it sounds like this obsessive worrying has taken over your life.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

i was just getting ready to reply w/, i would advise you to see a psychiatrist, who can sit through and sort out the problems you are dealing with..... sometimes its tough to do it alone.... especially if your parents are frustrated with it.. that may make things more difficult... but the advice from lori is great advice... and just read these boards, and know you are not alone.....

Old 12-10-2003, 03:26 AM   #4
(female)

Madj HB User

Your problems sound very much like my problems. I've been having these problems for 10 years myself and I have been on medications ever since. I also think you should talk to a doctor about this and maybe he will need to give you different medication or a bigger dose. I am sure with the right medication you will feel much better.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

zoloft is an antidepressant and these meds sometimes stop panic attacks and sometimes dont, sounds like zoloft isnt helping you much at all, maybe the dose could be upped, otherwise swap to another antidepressant med

breathing is omportant, rapid shallow panting and breath holding can bring on a panic attack, deep slow breathing relaxes and can prevent a panic attack

panic attacks have never hurt anyone so dont fear them
carry a few valiums or other benzo tablets with you and disolve 1 under the tongue when a panic attack starts, it will calm you quickly

get more exercise, this relaxes you

Old 12-11-2003, 08:14 AM   #6

Havisham HB User

I know exactly what you mean - I'm worried constantly that it's not a panic attack but is actually a heart attack and I'm going to die and leave my children without a mother - and because I worry about it, it makes the attack worse and then I worry more - catch 22!!!
Anyway, I have found that if I take an antacid (maalox with anti gas is excellent!) then I burp and I feel such a release of pressure in my chest that I find I can relax. I know it sounds insane, but it really helps!!
Just an idea.
Hang in there!!
Not everything you do is going to be a masterpiece, but you get out there, and you really try, and sometimes it really happens. The other times you're just stretching your soul..... Maya Angelou.[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Indigo]

Old 12-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #7

amym HB User

You sound very similar to me - I don't take any medication at all. Just thought I'd let you know that panic attacks are very common in people our age (I'm 21 too) especially females. Sometimes I feel I'm so wrapped up in myself and my thougths that I wanna scream - but I normally just call someone to take my mind off of it.

Just wondering if you spend alot of time by yourself because this is what does it for me. I come from a family of 6 where our house is always hectic and lively but now I live with my boyfriend and his mum and fiancee which means I spend alot of time by myself and after a few hours I go mad because I've spent the whole time thinking about ME. Which is very boring.

I also have been getting really bad derealization and find myself constantly wondering if its me thats talking everytime I open my mouth or if its me that walking it does my head in but I keep telling myself ITS ALL IN MY MIND - you may want to look at the panic ... humor thread its so funny and its feels so good to just laugh at yourself when you realise that loads of the people on this board have the same weird thoughts or think the same weird things as you.

Closed Thread