It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 03:34 PM   #1

mcQuigg2002 HB User
Birth control pills and Panic attacks...

Pill Control Pills and Panic attacks........My story could save somebodys mind....if you will take the time to read this and hopefully it can help you or someone you know.

In 1992 I tried the birth control for a few weeks....and when I was onit I had a severe low blood sugar attack....so I thought. I had never had one before but I was hungry and shaking, trembling all over, my heart racing, my mind wasnt in reality. I felt like I was going crazy. I got off the pill for whater reason and never connected that horrible feeling to the pill.

Five years later I got on the pill again to regulate my periods. I didnt seem to feel anything different right away but as time went on I started feeling like something was depleting all the good stuff out of me. I started losing weight ( I didnt mind that though), my lips were dry all the time, I became very tired. Suddenly....out of no where I got the same low blood sugar attack that I had years ago.....I ate sugar and I was fine. Then I started waking up during naps with a pounding heart and a feeling I gotta get to food now. I thought food was the answer to my strange feelings because it instantly took my attack away.

Then one day I was in McDonalds with my family and I had an attack so bad I thought I was going to die. My body was so nervous..I kept messing with my hair, my heart pounding out of my chest, my mind feeling like I wasnt alive. I kept saying take me to the hospital I am going crazy! Thank God I didnt go .......they would have addmitted me to the 4th floor...NO DOUBT!!! My sister looked at me and said you are having a panic attack. I said NO I am not and she said yes you are. That night I went home and prayed with my mom for the answer to why I was having these attacks. She asked me if I was on any drugs or medications she was unaware of. I said yes and I told her the truth. I have not had a panic attack since December of 1996. Wow! My sister was right! I did talk to a doctor once and he said I needed to see a shrink.....I was so mad at him for saying that to me. SO after we figured it out I was so scared for months that I would have another one. I carried food everywhere I went. And I was scared that when I got pregnant my body would go crazy and I would have one again. Thank God I havent and i want to help others that might be in the same boat as I was in and havent figured it out yet. To be honest I am a very anxious person and I think the pill induced them in me.

See now adays a doctor wouldnt look at my situation and say Oh your having a side effect of the pill...but he would give me an anti depressant for my attacks. I much rather stay off the pill and take an anti depressant if I need one. I hope I can help someone out there. God bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 09:57 AM   #2

wren79 HB User
Re: Birth control pills and Panic attacks...

i can actually vouch for this!!!
i suffer from panic attacks and anxiety attacks and for years the docs couldnt figure out what was going on. i was on the pill for awhile but stopped it because i didnt need it and i notced and progress into feeling better and the panic attacks going away but last week i met someone and started taking it again after 3 days my attacks were back in full force so i stopped taking it and im starting to feel a bit better. i feel dizzy and anxious all the time.
i dint think the pill was the cause of them but i think it aggrivated mine.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:36 PM   #3

mcQuigg2002 HB User

I am an anxious person to begin with but I have never ever had a panic attack not being on the pill. I guess you could share with your doc your info and try to find maybe a low dose pill or find out why the pill was making you worse....you might be able to find one compatable with your body chemestry. Now in my case I am married now with three children and I will never have to ever need that nasty stuff again. I feel for people that have attacks and cannot figure out why. I would be so unhappy if I had to live like that.

Old 01-02-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User

I am just the opposite. My hormones are so messed up I need the pills to regulate them or I have severe panic attacks. I'm glad you found what works for you also! I know panic attacks are frightening and it also took me a long time to realize I wasn't going crazy. Take care!

Closed Thread