It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User
going to start Buspar on Lorazepam when needed for now

Hi, I know this question has most likely been asked but I can't find it after doing a search of the boards.
I will be starting Buspar when my doctor gets back. I tried paxil did not like the weight gain. BTW sickman! you were right, NEVER go off cold turkey because let me tell ya it was not pretty!
my question is this, if Lorazepan only lasts in the system for 6-12 hours, Why does it tell me to take at bedtime for anxiety? I mean I have no idea if I am going to have anxiety on any given day.
However, I can go to bed and wake up with exteme anxiety. So, is that why it says bedtime?
I took one ealier but tried cutting it in half even though the doses is low 0.5MG.
Cutting it was not the way to go because it crumbled so I just dumped it in my hand and took what there was left of it. I don't feel a thing.
I am also hoping I have better luck with the buspar. I really want to move forward not backward.
best wishes for you all.
DBW

Old 01-03-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Unhappy Re: going to start Buspar on Lorazepam when needed for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonballwizard
Hi, I know this question has most likely been asked but I can't find it after doing a search of the boards.
I will be starting Buspar when my doctor gets back. I tried paxil did not like the weight gain. BTW sickman! you were right, NEVER go off cold turkey because let me tell ya it was not pretty!
my question is this, if Lorazepan only lasts in the system for 6-12 hours, Why does it tell me to take at bedtime for anxiety? I mean I have no idea if I am going to have anxiety on any given day.
However, I can go to bed and wake up with exteme anxiety. So, is that why it says bedtime?
I took one ealier but tried cutting it in half even though the doses is low 0.5MG.
Cutting it was not the way to go because it crumbled so I just dumped it in my hand and took what there was left of it. I don't feel a thing.
I am also hoping I have better luck with the buspar. I really want to move forward not backward.
best wishes for you all.
DBW

Dear dragonballwizard,
Lorazepan or Ativan is to be taken in divided doses, the largest being at bedtime. For anxiety the usual initial dosage is 2mg to 3mg a day. Increases are usually given at bedtime before daytime keeping the bedtime the largest dosage. 1mg of Lorazepan is approximately 0.5mg equivilant of xanax. Your current dosage is not enough to do anything for extreme panic (or anxiety) if that is your pleasure. You think that you are moving backwards because your doctor apparently does not know the dosage requirements and the duration of the medication. If you want a benzo to last for 24 hours then you need Klonopin which is 0.5mg equal to 0.5mg of xanax. Only the effects stay with you for the full 24 hour day. The ativan will probably work for you if you were given enough to actually work. You might as well take and asprin at the dosage you were prescribed. When you cut medication you need to buy a pill cutter, very cheap. I would not switch to Buspar over a benzo by any means for extreme anxiety because of your Doctors ingnorance to the medications. If your doctor does not know anything about this drug he or she probably knows nothing about any mental drug. I tried buspar years ago and after two days I was so dizzy that I could not raise my head up off the pillow until 4 hours or so after taking it. It did nothig for my panic and it was not nearly as extreme as it is now. The benzos work if you really want to take away the panic or anxiety symptoms. This is up to you but I think you are making a mistake in either not educating your Doctor or seeing another that knows something of these medications. Good luck with this.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: going to start Buspar on Lorazepam when needed for now

I dont think any benzo laste more than 4 hours, but some docs think the long acting ones last 24 hours and say take them before bed
I think no benzos should be taken before bed if you can fall asleep without them
buspar is a different type of tranquilliser that must be taken daily and doesnt do much for panic attacks

lorazepam carried with you and a tablet disolved under the tongue when anxious will help a lot

Closed Thread