It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
Inactive

Simon Clarke HB User
Angry Buspar - Bad initial side effects!

Recently been put on Buspar (Buspirone) 3 x 5mg per day to help with my general anxiety and panic attacks (disturbed to read many posts on this forum that say Buspar doesn't work for PAs?).

Took first tablet at 4pm. By half past four my legs where twitching like they had electric shocks shooting through them. Felt dizzy as hell, like I'd been hit with a stun-gun. By 5pm I was feeling incredibly nauseus and spent the next hour sucking mints like crazy, desperately forcing myself not to hurl.

This has been the reaction, although not quite as severe, every time I take the tablet (three days so far). I've found I don't feel as sick if I take the tablet with a meal. I really hope the side effects settle soon as my panics are mainly based around emetophobia (fear of being sick, especially in public) so you can imagine how I feel about a tablet that puts me in that state three times a day!

Has anyone else had a bad start-up to Buspar? If so, how did it affect you and how long did it take to settle down? I've had dibilatating panic attacks for over five years so don't want to give up on the drug too soon if it can help. Being in Great Britain means the chance of getting my Dr to supplement it with Klonopin or Xanax is remote to say the least!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Buspar - Bad initial side effects!

the side effects of buspar are generally mild so I suggest its not for you
any valium type med would be better for you
buspar is heavily promoted as a cure all but a prescribing handbook issued by the american association of psychiatrists says its not effective against panic attacks, valium is, I know that getting valium type meds is difficult in the UK but try an older doc or perhaps a psychiatrist, or perhaps consider an internet pharmacy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User

Simon,
Hi, I am also on Buspar (buspirone). I have been on it for 5 days now and I take 1/2 a tablet at 15mg twice a day. I just cut it in half. I am feeling great so far on this med. I was on paxil before and the weight gain is what made me get off that. I would never want to take paxil again because the withdrawl was nasty.
Infact sickman told me I should have came off of it slowly. Did I listen? No!
Anyway, I to have had twitches here and there, however, not enough to bother me. I hope you find something that works for you. I to have PA's, I however have not been on it long enough to say it has helped with PA;s or my anxiety for that matter.
Take care and best of luck!
DBW

Old 01-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #4

Natasha1981 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonballwizard
Simon,
Hi, I am also on Buspar (buspirone). I have been on it for 5 days now and I take 1/2 a tablet at 15mg twice a day. I just cut it in half. I am feeling great so far on this med. I was on paxil before and the weight gain is what made me get off that. I would never want to take paxil again because the withdrawl was nasty.
Infact sickman told me I should have came off of it slowly. Did I listen? No!
Anyway, I to have had twitches here and there, however, not enough to bother me. I hope you find something that works for you. I to have PA's, I however have not been on it long enough to say it has helped with PA;s or my anxiety for that matter.
Take care and best of luck!
DBW
I notice people complain more about coming off paxil than even the benzos. And the makers of this drug say it isn't addictive? Your body becomes dependent on it, that's why you have these "withdrawal" symptoms.

Old 01-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran

KayT HB User

I took Buspar about five years ago, it did calm my anxiety, the only thing I noticed was it made me feel nausea...........after about 2 months on it I seemed to drop a bit low.........so the doc switched me to Paxil........but it did work for me........I just felt a little to low on it........maybe the dosage should have just been decreased though........hindsight........

DBW,
You aren't kidding about the Paxil and coming off slow. I have been going through a rough time with the withdrawal..........been a month tomorrow and I am still trying to get back to my old self.........how long did it take for you to feel better? I was switched to Zoloft but still have the withdrawal..........of course I took Paxil before for a year and a half then switched directly to Celexa for nearly three years (no problem doing it either, no withdrawal or anything), then went over to Paxil for about five weeks then stopped taking it after I was a mess going from 20 to 10mg in a week............so the theory is that I have just experienced Celexa and Paxil withdrawal............what a mess..........Yeah, Sickman warned me as well about the Celexa withdrawal and not to change meds so fast..........but the Paxil was making me ill and feel horrible so the doc figured either way I was feeling bad......so let's get it out of me and get me on the road to recovery...........tapering it was not going to work for me.........

Kaytee:-)

Old 01-25-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User

Natasha,
I agree with you! If in fact it is not addictive why is the withdraw so nasty? It doesn't make since to me.
take care
DBW

Old 01-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User

[Kaytee,
I would say it took me about 2-3 weeks with the first week being the worst. I could not left my head off the pillow without feeling sick. The room was spinning even when I was not moving. I also had bad headaches along with that. I didn't eat for about a week because I didn't want to move. It made me feel worse. I was only on it for about 4 months to! I didn't think I was on it long enough to go through that but boy was I wrong.
Did you take any type of benzo with your buspar when you were on it?
take care
DBW

Old 01-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran

KayT HB User

HI Simon, how is the buspar working out for you today? I hope you are feeling better.

Hey Dragon,

The Paxil withdrawal for me was pretty bad, but I had been on Paxil to Celexa to Paxil again for nearly five years all together........

I had sweating, palpatations, shakiness, nausea, lost 25lbs because I had not appetite (although I made sure I kept myself healthy by eating three times per day and drinking a lot of water), racing thoughts, brain fog type feeling, agitation, just basic all around mood swings.........down one minute, up the next, anxious the next then back to agitation.........It felt like I needed to crawl out of my own skin......

I am better then I was but it is still there........hasn't quite let go of me yet..........it has been one month today since I took my last dose of Paxil....of course I was switched to Zoloft and the last two days have been calmer for me........I'm not 100 percent but feel about 60 percent or so better then I was feeling..........I am on Xanax as well........which helps......

Did you experience any of the side effects I listed? Did you withdrawal slowly go away or did it just dissapear one day? Mine seems to be going away very very slowly.......but at least it is going away........

Sickman helped me a lot through this as well,

Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Ed1944 HB User

I have not been on Buspar for an extend period of time, only around four months. When the side effects outway the benefits it time to change. That is what I hope to do on Thursday with my doctors appointment. The side effects never seemed to be the same each time I took the medication. It seemed to be worse if it was taken when my anxeity level was high. My eye movement generated electrical type shocks. I would have to stop what I was doing and wait for an hour so. I saw no benefit for myself. The panic attacks were alive and well.

Going to ask the doctor about Paxil and Xanax. I am currently on Remeron with Buspar. I keep trying to find the right combination. Question to others: When you switch from one antidepressant to another can this be done cold turkey? Or do you have to take both for awhile? Maybe I should start with changing only one and go with Remeron and Xanax. Remeron is ok, gives me a good nights sleep, raises my mood a little but does nothing for panic attacks.

Xanax is a class 4 controlled drug. Which means getting a new Rx each month. Thats a real pain, but those type drugs do work. Plus at 60, so what if I am addicted to it as long as it works.

Again, for me Buspar was a wierd drug. Hard to describe the side effects.

Good Luck,

Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran

KayT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1944
I have not been on Buspar for an extend period of time, only around four months. When the side effects outway the benefits it time to change. That is what I hope to do on Thursday with my doctors appointment. The side effects never seemed to be the same each time I took the medication. It seemed to be worse if it was taken when my anxeity level was high. My eye movement generated electrical type shocks. I would have to stop what I was doing and wait for an hour so. I saw no benefit for myself. The panic attacks were alive and well.

Going to ask the doctor about Paxil and Xanax. I am currently on Remeron with Buspar. I keep trying to find the right combination. Question to others: When you switch from one antidepressant to another can this be done cold turkey? Or do you have to take both for awhile? Maybe I should start with changing only one and go with Remeron and Xanax. Remeron is ok, gives me a good nights sleep, raises my mood a little but does nothing for panic attacks.

Xanax is a class 4 controlled drug. Which means getting a new Rx each month. Thats a real pain, but those type drugs do work. Plus at 60, so what if I am addicted to it as long as it works.

Again, for me Buspar was a wierd drug. Hard to describe the side effects.

Good Luck,

You should always taper down off an AD before beginning a new one. Paxil is a great med, but like most ADs it does have it's withdrawal symptoms once you discontinue taking it. Some experience it worse then others, but the key is to taper. Paxil does have the bad rap for being one of the more difficult ones to stop taking. But I've read withdrawal stories on most of the ADs, so again it depends on the person. As for the Xanax, I agree that it is worth taking if it helps the symptoms, but like my buddy Sickman always says, never take more then you need and try to stay at a consistent dose.

As for the Buspar, it made me feel Nausea and it dropped me low after taking it for a couple of months........I went in to my counselor crying and she told me that the Buspar had droppped me and the doc switched my meds.

Good luck with your changes,
Hope you are feeling better soon,

Old 01-29-2004, 11:25 AM   #11
Inactive

Simon Clarke HB User
Question Re: Buspar - Bad initial side effects!

An Update....

Thanks for the words of support. I've now been on Buspar for a week and am glad to report that the really bad side effects have settled down. I still feel like my head is on a rollercoaster (albeit a smaller one) for about twenty minutes after taking a 5mg tablet, so I time it to avoid driving straight afterwards. I've also found that if I take the tablet and eat a bowl of cornflakes (with milk and sugar) then I don't get the sicky tummy. Strange but true!

I've just bought the Panic & Anxiety Workbook which lots of people have recommended (ordered through Amazon as live in the UK). Jumped straight to the medication and it confirmed what so many of you guys have stated - Buspar is useless for panic attacks, and valium (which my Dr has also given me) is out of date.

I'm due back to my Dr after one month on the Buspar. If the symptoms havn't inproved, I'm going to directly suggest different medication. I know Doctor's hate this, but I hate being unable to run my small graphic design business fully becuase of my panics even more. What do you guys suggest might suit me, based on your experience? I have:

Panic attacks (based mostly on fear of being sick in public) about 3 times per week

General high anxiety (usually based on fear of where I have to go and worry of possible attack).

Medically, I have high blood pressure (take Atenolol) and Hypothyroidism (take Thyroxine and Leothyronine T3).

I wondered if an SSRI (like Prozac) with Klonopin?

Thanks for your support and help.

Closed Thread