It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran

KayT HB User
Hi all...........Kaytee here

How is everyone doing? I missed the forum so much.

I want to remind everyone to read over all of the guidelines and rules. The moderators are gracious enough to volunteer their time to make sure we have a safe place to discuss our issues so we owe it to them to know the rules and respect them.

I am doing better today. My doctor tried to put me on Zyprexa, I took it one night and ended up feeling way out in the twilight zone the next day...........kept messing up my words and forgetting peoples names etc..........so I have not taken it since..........she was trying to make it so I could take less Xanax.........she had upped it to 6mg.........and I was pretty relaxed..........to say the least..........plus I was trying to get up around the clock to take it...........

I am sticking to the Xanax XR and the Zoloft 100mg..........I have to say that today was one of the best days I've had in a while.......I felt a little low but no huge withdrawal spikes..........

I did realize how much the forum means to me and the help that you all have given me. It is hard to find people that understand fully if they have not gone through it or been there done that.............so having you all is a huge part of my support system...........even being able to just vent a little or say how my day went helps............

And on the other hand it is nice to help others by giving them support and advise as well...........

Just wanted to say Hi
And Sickman, you cracked me up with your BS line..............

Kaytee:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Unhappy Re: Hi all...........Kaytee here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT
How is everyone doing? I missed the forum so much.

I want to remind everyone to read over all of the guidelines and rules. The moderators are gracious enough to volunteer their time to make sure we have a safe place to discuss our issues so we owe it to them to know the rules and respect them.

I am doing better today. My doctor tried to put me on Zyprexa, I took it one night and ended up feeling way out in the twilight zone the next day...........kept messing up my words and forgetting peoples names etc..........so I have not taken it since..........she was trying to make it so I could take less Xanax.........she had upped it to 6mg.........and I was pretty relaxed..........to say the least..........plus I was trying to get up around the clock to take it...........

I am sticking to the Xanax XR and the Zoloft 100mg..........I have to say that today was one of the best days I've had in a while.......I felt a little low but no huge withdrawal spikes..........

I did realize how much the forum means to me and the help that you all have given me. It is hard to find people that understand fully if they have not gone through it or been there done that.............so having you all is a huge part of my support system...........even being able to just vent a little or say how my day went helps............

And on the other hand it is nice to help others by giving them support and advise as well...........

Just wanted to say Hi
And Sickman, you cracked me up with your BS line..............

Dear KayT,
Just how is it that you let yourself be put on 6mg of xanax when a week ago 4mg was making you droggy? And by the way, I not going to answer anyone for someone else under another user name anytime and there is a good reason for that. In fact I may even post the reason why and I don't want you to take offense because it would not be directed toward you personally in any way. I'm going to have to give you my real opinion here since to me this has gotten out of hand and I hope you take this without insult and only an opinion since I spent a month, two or three times a day with you on this. First of all even if your Doctor is your best friend or your sister, I think that she doesn't have a clue in what she is doing and you should see a Psychratrist for this or at least another doctor. Putting you on 6mg of xanax to cut the edge of of paxil withdrawals and going onto Zoloft is just plain incompetant. Then there is giving you ZYPREXA ( OLANZAPINE ) which I have taken so I know the effects. This is an ANTIPSYCHOTIC, and many use the word mood stabilizer to make you feel more comfortable or they will even tell you it is a mood stabilizer and not tell you it is an antipsychotic. These drugs are for specific symptoms, like manic depressant or schizophrenic. Just something you should know: Never use this drug to treat chronic aggression, anxiety, or agitation or as a sleeping pill. Also if you do not have certain symptoms that require this, these types of drugs can work in reverse and make you have a hard time distinguishing right from wrong. Don't anybody get me wrong here, there is a very good place for the working of these drugs but I do not see where you fit any of these symptoms. If you got to the point that you needed 6mg of xanax so fast and this drug, your doctor should have admitted you into the hospital because you would have to be so screwed up that you were not able to function on your own. Now lets look at the Paxil withdrawal. That is history. If you require so much benzo then you are a benzo candidate all along and are going to have to face up to it. Xanax XR was design to work around the clock to be taken once a day. It is still in testing and is showing only a few hours of lasting effects over regular xanax. Finally, in conclusion to all of this is: Go see another doctor, stay on the Zoloft because it calms you, and get the h off the Xanax XR and onto Klonopin where you once were before it is to hard to change over. This is nothing to panic over, you are fine where you are at, if it takes you a few weeks to get into another doctor, so don't freak out. This of course is just my opinion but your doctor sure would not get very far with me before I told her what I thought of her experimentation techniques. I don't let doctors prescibe anything to me unless I ask for it myself anymore, of course this is only my opinion and I have more experience in being a test specimen then you do. Have a nice day, and I really mean well with this. I am mad at your Doctor, not you. They are suppose to admit when they don't know jack and send you to someone that does. Be well KayT and think about what I have said. A second and even a third opinion does not hurt.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-25-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran

KayT HB User
Re: Hi all...........Kaytee here

Sickman,

You are right about the 6mg..........what I did was drop down to 3mg and then after about two days I felt horrible..........much of the withdrawal came back.........so she told me to take the Xanax around the clock for a day or two to get it going good........then she was going to taper me to 5mg then to 4mg then to 3mg..........she meant well.........but I told her it was to much........and she backed off.........She was only going by what I told her.........and I was pretty upset when I called her that night.........she did have me come in the office and my nurse friend had mentioned Zyprexa and I told her no way, I'm not Psychotic.............but she asked me to talk to the doctor because it is used to calm peoples racing thoughts........and thought it would help with my fear and racing thoughts.........anyhow, I asked thinking the doc would say "no way" and instead she said "that's a good idea" I can lessen the Xanax and the Zyprexa will help calm you and it is not habit forming...............and I thought, good grief, what now..........

So I agreed to try it, and I did for one night and the next day I felt like a goof ball........could not think straight all day and felt strange........like I was off in space or something............so I knew there was no way I was taking it again.........although my friend (the nurse)said to half it the next night (last night) I did not..........I took my Xanax and the Zoloft and that was that..........

The XR seems to work okay............but I have regular Xanax as well.........do you think it's a problem to take the XR? I am taking three 1mg a day until next week and then I see the doc again and will begin to taper down.........she just wants the Zoloft to kick in good before I taper off the Xanax........even you told me I need the Xanax for at least four weeks to get through this...........it's only been 2 for the 100mg of Zoloft........so I am going to stick with the Xanax for now............

I felt calmer today then in a long time...........and I felt better........not great..........but okay...........I didn't feel like crawling out of my skin like most days lately............I think the Zoloft is beginning to work better for me and that is a good sign.........also, I'm sure the Xanax is as well...........

My doctor has known me for years........and she admitted that she could refer me to a psych but she thinks I am almost through this now and will be better soon...........and I agreed...........when I did go see a psych he asked me what I wanted to do..........and basically also threw Zoloft my way..........or he wanted to increase the Paxil.......which was not going to happen............he was very aloof and weird about it........

I am still conversing with my counselor friend and she is pretty on track with this stuff..........she to does not like the Xanax but says if I stick with a steady dose and don't keep raising it then I should be fine taking it, she is all for the Zoloft as well, says in time it will help me with my anxiety..........

As for Klonopin............I took it before and the withdrawal was terrible........I had it down to a *** before I could stop taking it..........so it scares me a little........although I know that Xanax can probably do the same thing to me...........also I was cut cold turkey off of it because I found out I was pregnant and the psych just told me to stop the imipramine and xanax right away.............I will consider the Klonopin and have decided to make an appt with a psych if I don't begin feeling better this week...........I know it is anxiety and I do believe that the withdrawal is still there.........just slowly easing up as my body adjusts...........so I am hanging in there and hoping to feel much better real soon........

My friend the counselor checked with her psychs (of whom I may go see one of them since I trust her judgement in doctors) and they said for the time I've been on the Paxil to Celexa then to Paxil it can take 4-8 weeks for the withdrawal to be gone...........I know the difference between my anxiety (I have had this for years) and how it makes me feel verses how Paxil made me feel while and after I stopped taking it.......I've got a mixture going on........we have withdrawal, then my own anxiety in there then the Zoloft adjusting as well............so it is a mix of these things that have been making me feel such a mess..........

Taking the Zyprexa once is not big deal right???

Better get going,
Also, you mentioned once a day on the Xanax XR.........the pharmacist and doc told me it was meant to last 6-8 hours at a time and not all day??

Thanks for the info Sickman,

Old 01-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Veteran

KayT HB User

PS Sickman,

I read a post over in drug interactions that you would not ever take Zoloft. I hope this isn't a bad sign for me...........

I know there are a lot of posts over there about it, but most are about withdrawal and then many people jumped in and said it worked great for them..........so I didn't find anything that bad about it......just that you withdrawal from it........but all of these drugs have withdrawal..........I'm surprised there's not more over there about Paxil withdrawal.........

Anyhow, I noticed that the other day so I wanted to ask you about it..........I wondered if you are concerned that I am on the Zoloft???

Thanks,

Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran

KayT HB User

Okay, thought of one more thing.

The benzo issue.......I know that I have anxiety.....have had it for years......but the Celexa kept it in check for a long time.........and now it has resurfaced..........so I know that I need something to help me with the anxiety.......not in denial about that........just didn't realize when I asked the doc for a change that I was going to go through all of this to get to where I am now........and again I do believe the withdrawal is still there..........but easing up as I go.........but I will remain on something once this is all calmed a bit.........whether it be Zoloft and Xanax or a benzo alone I'm not sure yet........I will cross that bridge when I get there.........

I am going to call my counselor friend and ask her to set me up an appt with one of her docs and see if maybe I can change to Klonopin or if I should stay with the Xanax...........

and I am going to keep taking the Zoloft..........every health professional I have seen has recommended it.......including the Psych I saw, my friend the counselor and my doctor...........

And my friend the counselor she is good.........been doing this for over 20 years and has seen me as a patient before.......that's how I met her years ago......so she knows me well.........and sees me often......because my son is in counseling for Anxiety on a weekly basis.........and I asked her if she was concerned about me and she said no, that it is just the anxiety resurfacing and the Zoloft will kick in and to be cautious about the Xanax.............not to take to much of it.......just enough to take the edge off...........and to get off it if the Zoloft works without it.......she talked to me for a long time last week at her office and I think I should stick with her recommedations...........I tried to call her on the Zyprexa but she was out, maybe gone for the weekend. I'm sure she will tell me when I see her this week that it was a mistake...........she' s good.........and she is cautious about who she gives advise to......some doctors don't like others that aren't licensed MDs jumping in there..........but I listen to her and find a way to relay the info without it coming from her.......that keeps her out of it........and me in the know.........

Good night,

Old 01-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User

Quote:
PS Sickman,

I read a post over in drug interactions that you would not ever take Zoloft. I hope this isn't a bad sign for me...........

I know there are a lot of posts over there about it, but most are about withdrawal and then many people jumped in and said it worked great for them..........so I didn't find anything that bad about it......just that you withdrawal from it........but all of these drugs have withdrawal..........I'm surprised there's not more over there about Paxil withdrawal.........

Anyhow, I noticed that the other day so I wanted to ask you about it..........I wondered if you are concerned that I am on the Zoloft???

Thanks,

Dear KayT,
No, taking the dose of Zyprexa won't effect you. No I am not concerned about you taking the zoloft because of what you said, "That it calmed you". I have not taken it, I read that a lot of people reject it right off. Others it helps. You supplied the feelings you had from it to me, so I can only assume it is right for you. I would not take it but I would not take any srri or other medication other then what I take now. I am just though with trying stuff and what I have to go through is what it will be. My only concern is if the zoloft is going to be enough for you alone. If it is not I just would rather see you on Kolonopin rather any form of xanax unless it is the only thing that works at all. And Xanax XR was designed for around the clock effects not what the pharmacist said. If it was designed for that short of a duration, why the effort, it makes no difference then regular xanax. The potency effect is the same only suppose to be slower releasing and much longer lasting. Look, I think a lot of your problem is you need to suck it up on a lot of these symptoms and quit messing around with your medictions. You have made enough changes as it is to get used to. Everytime you go up or down or add or subtract, you go back to square one. Do you understand what I am saying here? Your Doctor to me is still to fast in my opinion to make a change and especially make the ones that you are requesting without telling you that you have to just try to deal with some of this. You keep messing around and you are really going to find out what symptoms are. It is your decision but you need to ask advice from the one or ones you believe are really in your best interest. I can only say what I know from my own very bad experiences. I know a lot of things are important to you in your life but nothing is more important for your own self then getting a handle on this. Quit running for help unless it is a real emergency, not a panic attack or symptoms that don't require anything other then an ear. This isn't easy but it will get better if you quit messing around with your nervous system. And I would see the Psychratrist but if he starts wanting to change from say zoloft because he prefers something else or doesn't want you on a benzo at all, see another. Don't get caught up with a preference Doctor or Psychratrist that wants all of his or her patients on the same drugs. This simply does not work because everyone is different and that is how I was taken off the srri to fast and became disabled. There is just so much to know it is overwhelming and scary I know. Just use good judgement yourself when you see someone and remember you don't have follow like a sheep when seeing any Doctor of any kind. I wish you well and I hope you don't suffer to much getting though this.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User

Quote:
Okay, thought of one more thing.

The benzo issue.......I know that I have anxiety.....have had it for years......but the Celexa kept it in check for a long time.........and now it has resurfaced..........so I know that I need something to help me with the anxiety.......not in denial about that........just didn't realize when I asked the doc for a change that I was going to go through all of this to get to where I am now........and again I do believe the withdrawal is still there..........but easing up as I go.........but I will remain on something once this is all calmed a bit.........whether it be Zoloft and Xanax or a benzo alone I'm not sure yet........I will cross that bridge when I get there.........

I am going to call my counselor friend and ask her to set me up an appt with one of her docs and see if maybe I can change to Klonopin or if I should stay with the Xanax...........

and I am going to keep taking the Zoloft..........every health professional I have seen has recommended it.......including the Psych I saw, my friend the counselor and my doctor...........

And my friend the counselor she is good.........been doing this for over 20 years and has seen me as a patient before.......that's how I met her years ago......so she knows me well.........and sees me often......because my son is in counseling for Anxiety on a weekly basis.........and I asked her if she was concerned about me and she said no, that it is just the anxiety resurfacing and the Zoloft will kick in and to be cautious about the Xanax.............not to take to much of it.......just enough to take the edge off...........and to get off it if the Zoloft works without it.......she talked to me for a long time last week at her office and I think I should stick with her recommedations...........I tried to call her on the Zyprexa but she was out, maybe gone for the weekend. I'm sure she will tell me when I see her this week that it was a mistake...........she' s good.........and she is cautious about who she gives advise to......some doctors don't like others that aren't licensed MDs jumping in there..........but I listen to her and find a way to relay the info without it coming from her.......that keeps her out of it........and me in the know.........

Good night,

Dear KayT,
I hope that I did not offend you or your Friends in the medical field that you trust. Now you are managing your condition correctly. You are choosing who you trust and going with that. You can't have to many cooks in the kitchen with this. Only one can handle your therapy and only one can administer you medication. It has to be the one you trust. I am glad you trust them more then me, I am not your therapist nor your Doctor. If you feel the ones you are with are in your best interest, then it means nothing what I say about it. I am only an ear. It is only my opinion and they are seeing you face to face with these symptoms. I can only give an opinion based on what you tell me and what I know in my own case or have seen or read. Go with you gut but remember that you are stuck with whatever you do, so consider everything carefully that anyone tells you. Good night to you also and I hope it all works out for you.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-26-2004, 01:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

KayT, been wondering where you have been! I'll let sickman advise you on the meds, he's much more familiar with them than I. I have enough trouble getting my own straight, but so far, this combo that I'm on is working, but still have the awful dry mouth thingy! Some days it's not as bad as others, so knowing most meds have side affects, I'm trying to live with this one.
Glad to see you back.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran

KayT HB User

HI Sickman,

I agree, chaninging my doses around is not a good idea. I decided on Saturday when the Zyprexa messed with me that it is time for me to deal with some of this and not let it scare me so bad and just stick with the plan and accept that I may not feel my best but that the meds will kick in and the withdrawal will eventually go away.

As far as my doc is concerned, I think she is just trying to give me as much relief as possible. But the last time I saw her she said each times she sees me I am better, that I may not see it yet, but she and others do. She did say that this is what she wants me to stick with for a month and we will see how I am from there............

Of course, I ditched the Zyprexa, and will continue with the Xanax and the Zoloft 100mg..........

If you don't think the Xanax XR or the Xanax make a diff I can go back to the regular three times a day...........right now I am taking the XR three times a day........that won't cause any problems because it's the XR will it???

Otherwise, I had a better day yesterday, am headed to work today and am going to work hard to keep my chin up and get to feeling better...........

PS I know that my doc got a bit extreme with the Xanax and Zyprexa, but I think she was just trying to help me through this and to feel better..........but when I tell her no Zyprexa and that I don't want to change anything again she will listen............

Talk to you later my friend,

Old 01-26-2004, 10:21 PM   #10
Veteran

KayT HB User

Hi Lori,

I meant to post back to you this am and didn't get the chance. I have to say that each day I do seem to be doing better. Glad to hear your meds are helping...........I have been quite a mess and it's good to have a few good days here and there..........these last two days have been better........not great.........but I have noticed improvement.........so I am going to stick to the course and hope each day brings me closer to feeling even better then the day before..........I hope the same for you.

Goodnight,

Old 01-26-2004, 11:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Hi Lori,

I meant to post back to you this am and didn't get the chance. I have to say that each day I do seem to be doing better. Glad to hear your meds are helping...........I have been quite a mess and it's good to have a few good days here and there..........these last two days have been better........not great.........but I have noticed improvement.........so I am going to stick to the course and hope each day brings me closer to feeling even better then the day before..........I hope the same for you.

Goodnight,

I'm realizing just how much trial & error there is in prescribing AD meds. It sure isn't as easy as getting an anti-biotic!!! I think we need to communicate our wants & feelings to the doctors, not let them always dictate to us. With the internet, we are as knowledgeable about some of these meds as the doctors, so we should have a say in our treatment. Glad you're having some good days, me too.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #12
Veteran

KayT HB User

I agree Lori,

And Sickman is right when he tells me to try and stick with one plan for a while. I talked with my doc today and she told me that when I took the Zyprexa and it made me feel that way it was the right thing not to take it again (she was off until today so I couldn't talk to her about what it did to me until now). She also agreed that we need to stick with one plan. I told her I didn't want to go changing anything and to just stay where I am at for now. I thanked her for her patience with me because this has been pretty scary for me and I think maybe I was looking for a quicker fix to this and that wasn't going to happen. Like Sickman said, sometimes you just have to suck it up and hang in there and just know that it will get better. That's what I am doing now. And actually I have calmed a lot. I've been on the Zoloft 100mg for about 15 days now..........and am still on the Xanax...........but that's it.

Better get going,

Great to hear you are also feeling better,

Old 01-28-2004, 12:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

KayT, for sure, there are no quick fixes in the long term. You can take a xanax & it's a quick fix, but only for a few hours. I am also sticking with this vivactil, which has the dry mouth side affect, but I guess others could have worse side affects. It's been over 4 weeks now & I do feel it's helping my depression & PA. These conditions are not anything that can be measured with a test, so all of our treatments are trial & error, not easy, but like you said, at least we have hope of getting it right.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #14
Veteran

KayT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori j
KayT, for sure, there are no quick fixes in the long term. You can take a xanax & it's a quick fix, but only for a few hours. I am also sticking with this vivactil, which has the dry mouth side affect, but I guess others could have worse side affects. It's been over 4 weeks now & I do feel it's helping my depression & PA. These conditions are not anything that can be measured with a test, so all of our treatments are trial & error, not easy, but like you said, at least we have hope of getting it right.

I should consider myself fortunate in that I have never had the depression element, just plain old anxiety.........with some panic in there at times.........but not that often.........I am DXd GAD.

Anyhow........I do feel better then I did, but noticed I still a bit emotional........when I read Sickmans goodbye it brought some tears to my eyes.......but I did feel connected with him and he helped me a lot......so I guess that was a normal response.........but even today I feel emotional........not bad though........hey better then I was and that what's counts for me right now............

What type of drug is vivactil? I have not heard of that.

Anyhow, good day to you and all,

I have been on the Zoloft for about 16 days now at 100mg so I'm sure it hasn't kicked in fully........I am probably just feeling the beginning of it kicking in...........

Old 01-29-2004, 04:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Hi Kaytee, I was saddened to see Sickmans post that he was leaving, too. I hope somehow he will be able to come back & post.

I was on amitriptyline for 7 years and it finally quit working for me last spring, but I really didn't do a thing about it til this last fall. About Oct. I went to my doc to see about getting on something new. Well, he put me on Lexapro (SSRI) and I had awful reactions, then he tried effexor & same thing. Finally, I got an appointment with a psychiatrist (figure he is more familiar with this type of med) and I told him this whole story. Well, amitrip. is one of the older tricyclic meds for depression and since I did well on that for a long time, he decided to try me on another tricyclic and that is what vivactil is, other name for it is protriptyline. Then he tried to up the dose after 4 weeks, but the one side affect, the dry mouth & nasal passages & throat were too much, so he had to keep me at the lower dose & only option he had was to either try another med or add to this one. So, he added luvox to it, he said it is a med for OCD, well I obsessively worry about everything when my meds aren't working. So far, they both seem to be working for me, I'm not obsessing like I was & not feeling the dark hole of depression. So, that is why I'm on these older meds. I can't seem to tolerate some of the newer ssri's...

Closed Thread