It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #1

Mandy904 HB User
so stupid almost funny!

Hello Everyone,

Got sort of a funny stupid story. For the past 3 almost 4 days now i've had none stop panic about something so stupid. The other night I was eating combo's and feeling great, when all of the sudden i felt like one was stuck in my throat. I drank hot tea, water, ginger ale, and even wet bread and ate that. Nothing seemed to be helping. Well last night i still felt like something was stuck there and went into a mega attack. I was shaking so badly and couldn't barely breath. I haven't eaten anything except pudding, drinking water and juice for the past 3 days. It doesn't feel like anything is stuck anymore but i am still very affraid to eat. Its almost funny how stupid this is, but man oh man i can't force myself to chew up and swallow. This is so ridiculous. and i even know that is the sad part. But i guess i just wanted to share with you and maybe someone might have something to say that might either make me laugh or feel better.

Mandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Re: so stupid almost funny!

Hi Mandy,

Don't feel bad. I have went into panic mode over many silly things myself!
I have a major fear of spiders. If I see one, I won't go anywhere near it and usually yell for someone to come kill it for me. Anyway, several months ago, I was in the bathroom blowdrying my hair at my mom's house and I spotted a huge spider on the wall. I was the only one home, so immediatly I start to panic. My first idea is to point the hairdryer at it...I thought maybe the heat would kill it. Well, this just knocked it off the wall- now it is crawling on the floor. So, then I decide to spray hair spray at it. I start spraying the hairspray at it like crazy(standing as far away as I possibly could). This didn't seem to be working and it was starting to crawl back up the wall. So, then I grab a bottle of body perfume spray...thinking maybe this would kill it. Standing about 2 feet away, I start spraying perfume at it as fast as I could as it continues to crawl up the wall. Finally, it fell to the floor and wasn't moving..of course I assumed it was dead. So, I continue to dry my hair. About 5 minutes later I turned off the dryer and saw something dangling out of the corner of my eye. The d*** spider had come back to life and came to attack me! So, I fall backwards onto the floor screaming, shaking all over. I kid you not, I sat there on the floor for about 45 minutes, shaking with my heart racing, watching it on the ceiling until my sister got home and was able to get it with the vacuum. I was panic stricken for the next week all over that stupid spider!! My sister still asks me if I've had anymore encounters with the killer spiders!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #3

Mandy904 HB User

Hey Hilery,

Thank you so much for the reply. I dislike spiders and bugs myself. I've called people in to rooms to get rid of the myself. These fears are so irrational, it just makes you drive yourself up a wall. I still havent eaten anything. But i'm sure that within a few days i'll be fine. I'm drinking fluids and eating things that are easy to swollow but nothing really solid yet. But thank you again your post made me feel alot better

Old 01-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #4

aimazing HB User

This is a serious problem. I'd advise you to see a doctor pretty soon before it gets any worse.

The most ridiculous thing I've had a mad phobia over is a picture of a parrot that bore a definate resemblence to the person who my attacks centre around. It's seems to be wearing a huge white wig. I did have a picture of it after I thought everything was over but I got rid of it when I realised it wasnt and I couldn't have it in my room.

Hope things get better for you.

((hugs))

Aimee

Old 01-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy79
Hey Hilery,

Thank you so much for the reply. I dislike spiders and bugs myself. I've called people in to rooms to get rid of the myself. These fears are so irrational, it just makes you drive yourself up a wall. I still havent eaten anything. But i'm sure that within a few days i'll be fine. I'm drinking fluids and eating things that are easy to swollow but nothing really solid yet. But thank you again your post made me feel alot better
Mandy,
I'm sure you'll be able to eat again (without panic) within a few days. I get the sensation of something being stuck in my throat every now and then. And, this is when I'm not even eating anything. It is a weird feeling though.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #6
(female)

worrygirl HB User

Mandy,

I did the exact same thing with a peice of popcorn. This is no joke. I was eating popcorn and the little hull or husk or whatever it is got stuck in my throat (which is not uncommon). Instead of realizing it couldn't kill me I started freaking out when I couldn't get this little pest out of my throat. I got all out of whack was shoving my fingers down my throat, everything I could think of because I swore it was still there. I mustured up enough courage to go to sleep and first thing in the morning, went to my doc. He examined me and said nothing to worry about, there was nothing in my throat. He then explained that I had actually scratched my throat and was obsessing about it. He said when you scratch your throat like that or a peice of something gets stuck, it may irritate the esophagas and feel like it is still there, even though its just irritation. Don't worry about it......HA.....like that could happen.....hehehe....from one panic victim to another.....hang in there.

Worrygirl!!!!

Old 01-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #7

Mandy904 HB User

Hey WorryGirl,

Thank you so much for the reply. That does make me feel better. My mother has tried to tell me this all 3 days now. That i just scratched it, but my mind is so overpowering sometimes. So i've been eating things that go down easier like pudding, soup, and liquids. Figure if i let me throat rest for a few days it would help. Last nights panic got really bad and my mom actually did that thing where you grab a person from behind and try to make them get whatever you of their throat, and nothing came up. She said see your fine.. so i'm just giving it a few days to heal. Thanks again that was comforting to know

Old 01-26-2004, 10:31 PM   #8
Veteran

KayT HB User

One time several years ago I had this feeling in my throat, like a lump or something was stuck in it.......anyhow, I went to an ENT doc and he stuck this thing in my throat and moved it all around..........and it was very uncomfortable and told me that nothing was there or wrong.........well, that long gauze thing he stuck down my throat made if feel much worse then when I went in to see what it was..........

So my throat felt worse for a while because of the doc visit to be told I was okay..........

Go figure,

Kaytee:-)

Closed Thread