It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #1

Butterfly8 HB User
Unhappy Here is my story....help!

So, let's see, I'm sorry if this gets wordy, but I need to get this all out. I have posted here on and off when I have issues, but am ready to become a regular.

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety when I was 8 years old and started having panic attacks as a freshman in high school. I was in therapy and on Paxil for about three years doing fairly well. Then I was med free until my final year of college (when I was 20) when I started back in therapy and went on Celexa. I jsut stopped my Celexa in November and things were going so well....I am now 23 and refuse to let things get back to the way they were. I could barely drive a car or go anywhere before starting on Celexa. The pattern of panic attacks has started again, but I am pretty sure I know why, I just need some advice to try an stop it in it's tracks.

I just moved out of state, the first time leaving my family and friends, to be with my boyfriend. That is itself if very stressful, it has been almost 2 months. I am getting into a life style down here that I am just not used to and trying to adjust....looking for full time work, dealing with missing my family and financial problems, so I'm not surprised the attacks are back...I am stressed.

Deal is, all my attacks stem from fear of death. Every pain or funny feeling I get, I think I am dying.....strange!! I know that I am very healthy, so I jsut don't get it. I used to have mainly chest and breathing symptoms...it has switched to all symptoms in my head, light headed, my head feels numb, for lack of a better term, and I feel like I'm going to pass out. It could be from tension or I could be making it happen, in any event, I need to beat this. Once I start thinking about it, it just gets worse. I don't know a lot of people down here yet, so it is scary!

I will stop now, thanks for sticking with me if you did

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
Veteran

KayT HB User
Re: Here is my story....help!

HI butterfly,

Have you considered going to the doctor and maybe going back on meds? There are other alternatives as well, such as therapy. I think change always makes our anxiety worse. My son has anxiety and ocd and any big change is very hard for him. At school, especially when he was younger, if they changed the schedule around it really disrupted his day. It made him more anxious.

It sounds as if you feel out of your element.........you have moved and now need to adjust to your new place and surroundings......the increased anxiety may ease up once you feel like you're at home again...........

I am planning a vacation in March and know that I will be all out of sorts, because we are leaving the country as well as flying........which both raise my anxiety..........

Hope you are feeling better soon,

Kaytee:-)

Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran

KayT HB User

PS

I meant to tell you that I have had anxiety since I was in the fifth grade, I guess that would be maybe 10 or 11 years old........and mine comes and goes as well......It seems like I will be fine (not fine, but much less anxious, very tolerable) for maybe five years then it will hit me harder again..........meds have helped me........but so has counseling............Kaytee:-)

Old 01-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi butterfly, perhaps you had the wrong type of therapy?

the fear of death and some hypochondria is fairly common but panic attacks dont kill anyone or do any permanent harm

celexa/cipramil or some other antidepressant should help you again, some valium is also helpful at the start of a panic attack or when very stressed or anxious

feeling numb abd lightheaded can be from anxiety or tension, learning relaxation and more exercise always relax people, perhaps join a gym and/or take long walks

stay with us

Old 01-28-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly8
So, let's see, I'm sorry if this gets wordy, but I need to get this all out. I have posted here on and off when I have issues, but am ready to become a regular.

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety when I was 8 years old and started having panic attacks as a freshman in high school. I was in therapy and on Paxil for about three years doing fairly well. Then I was med free until my final year of college (when I was 20) when I started back in therapy and went on Celexa. I jsut stopped my Celexa in November and things were going so well....I am now 23 and refuse to let things get back to the way they were. I could barely drive a car or go anywhere before starting on Celexa. The pattern of panic attacks has started again, but I am pretty sure I know why, I just need some advice to try an stop it in it's tracks.

I just moved out of state, the first time leaving my family and friends, to be with my boyfriend. That is itself if very stressful, it has been almost 2 months. I am getting into a life style down here that I am just not used to and trying to adjust....looking for full time work, dealing with missing my family and financial problems, so I'm not surprised the attacks are back...I am stressed.

Deal is, all my attacks stem from fear of death. Every pain or funny feeling I get, I think I am dying.....strange!! I know that I am very healthy, so I jsut don't get it. I used to have mainly chest and breathing symptoms...it has switched to all symptoms in my head, light headed, my head feels numb, for lack of a better term, and I feel like I'm going to pass out. It could be from tension or I could be making it happen, in any event, I need to beat this. Once I start thinking about it, it just gets worse. I don't know a lot of people down here yet, so it is scary!

Nikki
Hi,
I just responded to another post of yours, but I just read this and had to respond to this one, too.
I am 24 and can definatly relate with your anxiety symptoms. Most of my panic/anxiety has always stemmed from a fear of death. I obsess about my health constantly. A few months ago, my symptoms were all to do with my heart, chest pains, breathing, etc. Over the last couple months, my symptoms have mostly had to do with my head(headaches, numbness, tingling, lightheaded, etc). I also get a feeling like I'm going to pass out several times a week.
Anyway, I'm sorry I can't give you any advice, but I just wanted to let you know my symptoms are very similar. I am looking into some type of counseling next. I have tried a few different meds, but none of them have really helped me. Valium does help when I have an attack, but I haven't found anything to help ease my everyday anxiety symptoms.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon~
hilery

Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

I have depression, plus I obsess about illnesses too, my doc just put me on Luvox for OCD, and it is helping a lot. I can block out those thoughts as soon as they pop in my head. My suggestion would be to talk to a pdoc & get some meds to help you break this cycle of worrying.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly8

Nikki
Nikki-
Fear of death and health related fears are some of the most common probs for people with anxiety and panic problems, so you are not alone
I was on meds for many years before discovering Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which eventually enabled me to get on with my life and get off of all the meds. It takes a lot of effort at first but is well worth it in my opinion. There are plenty of CBT resources out there if you are interested in giving it a try or exploring it further. My favorite introductory CBT book is Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge. Take care and keep us posted

Closed Thread