It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Lightbulb Fear of taking Medications

I have noticed that a lot of people are afraid of taking medications and also afraid to even start taking them. We tend to make any excuse we can think of such as addiction, later withdrawal, side effects and so on to not use the word, "just plain FEAR itself". Actually this is the way a person should be with taking mental medications. You should start out being just as afraid to take them as not to take them. This can an will cause panic, but it is only panic and will go away with time. It is like working with power tools. Once you no longer have any fear of them, you are sure to have an accident. Some things you must retain enough fear to be safe. When you are as afraid to take your medications as you are not to, then you are less apt to abuse them and will only allow yourself to be on the least amount necessary to control your disorder. Eventually you will not be afraid of taking your dosage and it will just be a daily chore that you must do and the fear will be more of respect for the medications and the panic will stop. This is just a phase with all of the medications and unfortunately the more medications you try or have problems with, the more intense the fear. A lot of this is caused by the natural desire to be medication free and we all wish this. The problem is that most of the time people tend to want to get off when they are not really ready or their condition is such that they can't, even though they feel fine. They feel fine because they are taking the medication and it is working, not that they are cured and should go off. Then the cycle begins again only the fear of going back on is greater because of all of the memories of the other time or times of going on and the withdrawal problems of getting off. This is when the real fear of the medication starts and it is natural to have panic attacks and symptoms going back on medications again. It is only the fear that is causing the majority of your problems and you have to learn to except it for what it is. I truly believe that fearing taking your medication as much as not taking it is safe management of your disorder and should always be practiced in this manner. It is always easier said then done but when fear turns to respect you are on your way to a safer and better management of your condition. Possible future recovery is when you are truly ready and not by med free desire alone.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2004, 10:37 AM   #2

montreal1951 HB User
Angry Re: Fear of taking Medications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickman
I have noticed that a lot of people are afraid of taking medications and also afraid to even start taking them. We tend to make any excuse we can think of such as addiction, later withdrawal, side effects and so on to not use the word, "just plain FEAR itself". Actually this is the way a person should be with taking mental medications. You should start out being just as afraid to take them as not to take them. This can an will cause panic, but it is only panic and will go away with time. It is like working with power tools. Once you no longer have any fear of them, you are sure to have an accident. Some things you must retain enough fear to be safe. When you are as afraid to take your medications as you are not to, then you are less apt to abuse them and will only allow yourself to be on the least amount necessary to control your disorder. Eventually you will not be afraid of taking your dosage and it will just be a daily chore that you must do and the fear will be more of respect for the medications and the panic will stop. This is just a phase with all of the medications and unfortunately the more medications you try or have problems with, the more intense the fear. A lot of this is caused by the natural desire to be medication free and we all wish this. The problem is that most of the time people tend to want to get off when they are not really ready or their condition is such that they can't, even though they feel fine. They feel fine because they are taking the medication and it is working, not that they are cured and should go off. Then the cycle begins again only the fear of going back on is greater because of all of the memories of the other time or times of going on and the withdrawal problems of getting off. This is when the real fear of the medication starts and it is natural to have panic attacks and symptoms going back on medications again. It is only the fear that is causing the majority of your problems and you have to learn to except it for what it is. I truly believe that fearing taking your medication as much as not taking it is safe management of your disorder and should always be practiced in this manner. It is always easier said then done but when fear turns to respect you are on your way to a safer and better management of your condition. Possible future recovery is when you are truly ready and not by med free desire alone.

Sincerely,

Sickman
Your points are well made. I think all medications are " little poisons". However, if I do not take them - I will get such a panic attack that the quality of my life will not be worth living. So I take my effexor xr. But the antipscyotics are a really horrible class of drugs. The cause parkinson's disease. Furthermore, the SSRI antidepressants that are used for panic disorders have not been used that long...what will I get after using antidepressants for 20 years?
Then when you add another two drugs to this antidepressant - to offset its side effects - what do you know about the interaction of these three drugs over the course of time? Add to that tylenol and a host of other non-prescrition drugs that we add to this concoction.....
Not to mention other drugs our doctors want us to take:
statins - for hight cholesterol
blood pressure pills,
etc.
Some elderly patients (and not so elderly) take 10 pills a day....
It boggles the mind and body!

Old 02-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Re: Fear of taking Medications

Sickman,
I really appreciate your input, as I am in the middle of fighting with myself to take my Ativan. I am also on Zoloft which I have been on for quite awhile and Atenelol for symptoms from a heart condition. I accepted a long time ago that I would probably be on Zoloft forever. It wasn't my true intention to stop taking it but through expenses and the fact that I was on a low dose I stupidly stopped taking them(last October), which may or not be related to the spells and panic attacks that coincidentally started November.
I do not want to take Ativan, I hate the thought of taking it, and I of course like you already know-am terrified of taking it. However, that said, my life is a mess right now, I have hardly left my house in three months, I have 2 kids which I am not taking very good care of, I spend half the day in bed and the other half dwelling on what is wrong with me. So I know I need to take the Ativan, the 1st dose will be the hardest for me. I didn't mean for this to sound so pathetic, I merely wanted to thank you for your insight into our relationships with our medications.
Thanks
Abbygirl

Old 02-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Hi, I did it, I took 1/2 an Ativan. It's been an hour and a half, and although I feel tired(could be due to lack of sleep this past week) I don't feel any better. I still feel tense and panicked.
Even though I was scared to bits about taking it, I was also hoping it would 'cure me' , but alas, I am not any better off than I was earlier(except I am not so afraid of taking my next dose). Am I expecting too much?
I am thinking of taking the other half at bedtime and maybe I will actually sleep for more than 3 hours. I feel a bit dizzy too, which may or not be related to the Ativan. The most I can take is 2 a day, I hope 1mg will be substantially better than .5mg.
Abbygirl

Old 02-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Fear of taking Medications

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
Hi, I did it, I took 1/2 an Ativan. It's been an hour and a half, and although I feel tired(could be due to lack of sleep this past week) I don't feel any better. I still feel tense and panicked.
Even though I was scared to bits about taking it, I was also hoping it would 'cure me' , but alas, I am not any better off than I was earlier(except I am not so afraid of taking my next dose). Am I expecting too much?
I am thinking of taking the other half at bedtime and maybe I will actually sleep for more than 3 hours. I feel a bit dizzy too, which may or not be related to the Ativan. The most I can take is 2 a day, I hope 1mg will be substantially better than .5mg.
Abbygirl
Dear abbygirl2, Good job !
Yes I think you expecting to much to soon. Although you are not afraind to take it now and that is a great accomplishment, you still are tense and not relaxing with it. The dizzyness is probably from it but that will go away. As I told you before, you are on a very low dosage and should not be afraid. As you continue to take it, it will catch up with you and you will start to feel better because you will stop being in the high adenaline rush state of taking it. Your are still in the anticipation of something state. You will be fine, give it sometime. You may need to have your doctor eventually up it to 1mg twice a day. That is only 1mg of xanax a day. That is the lowest general dosage for anxiety not panic attacks for xanax. I guess what I am trying to assure you is that you are on very low dosages of this medication at either level and should not fear it. Attacks are caused by you, not the medication. You have made a big step today, you should feel better at least getting past the first step. Now all you have to do is relax and let it do the work for you. You will be fine and you will find relief. Good work abbygirl2.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-07-2004, 10:33 PM   #6
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

thank you Sickman, it was really your words that calmed me enough to take it. My Rx is 1mg twice daily, so I could take more if I want...eventually. You seem to know alot so I have a question for you. Years ago I had panic attacks , but I have been panic free for 3-4 yrs. This past November it all fell apart. I went to the ER 3 times because of these spells. they have ran several tests and I wore a 24hr holter twice. They couldn't find any cause so they believe it is panic. My question is that these "spells' are not like the panic attacks I used to get. For example I just had a pretty bad spell. (almost 7 hrs after taking the low dose of Ativan). I get ill feeling, I feel weak, and warm inside, like I am fevered(but I am not) I feel really nauseous, and feel like I could faint. My heart didn't pound, my pulse didn't rise, my blood pressure stayed normal, I wasn't having a hard time breathing or having chest pains..none of the classic symptoms. Should I pass this off as a panic attack? I can't make sense of this. What do you think?
Thanks, Abbygirl

Old 02-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Smile Re: Fear of taking Medications

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
thank you Sickman, it was really your words that calmed me enough to take it. My Rx is 1mg twice daily, so I could take more if I want...eventually. You seem to know alot so I have a question for you. Years ago I had panic attacks , but I have been panic free for 3-4 yrs. This past November it all fell apart. I went to the ER 3 times because of these spells. they have ran several tests and I wore a 24hr holter twice. They couldn't find any cause so they believe it is panic. My question is that these "spells' are not like the panic attacks I used to get. For example I just had a pretty bad spell. (almost 7 hrs after taking the low dose of Ativan). I get ill feeling, I feel weak, and warm inside, like I am fevered(but I am not) I feel really nauseous, and feel like I could faint. My heart didn't pound, my pulse didn't rise, my blood pressure stayed normal, I wasn't having a hard time breathing or having chest pains..none of the classic symptoms. Should I pass this off as a panic attack? I can't make sense of this. What do you think?
Thanks, Abbygirl
Dear abbygirl2,
Panic attacks are like shift changers. They are nothing but brain tricks that are out of place. They will continue to change. Sometimes the changes are better, sometimes worse. Generally the shift is to what scares you the most. Of course this is what you are fearing so the brain natually works on that. If you get a warm feeling, say like fever inside or heating up and you think to yourself I am heating up inside. This thought was already in motion because your brain realized that you feared it and were going to think it. The data is processed and sent out before you even realize that you thought it. Then you will heat up even more because now you feel it and as long as it is getting to you it will intensify. When you finally except it for what it is, it will change to another symptoms or feeling, searching for something that startles you. It could just be a twitch in your arm. You feel it, you think about it, but your natural instincts built into you have already went into action and you beginning to panic. The problem is that panic attack is also nothing more then an adenaline rush. When you need it to alert you to danger or do something to save your life or anothers, it is like it was always there turned on and ready. Your brain is now doing this at the wrong time when you don't need it and it scares you. When you can finally feel it, accept it and ingnore it, you will be able to manage it much better. The medication will help with this by slowing down the rush but you also must learn to accept it as fear and nothing else. I'm not going to tell you that you will not ever get panic attacks again, it is an up and down roller coaster, but when you can manage it and learn to relax and ride though it, it will pass faster with less intensity. You have not stated anything that I have not had during several panic attacks and I heat up like fire, so I would not worry about it. I also have normal blood pressure during a lot of these attacks. When my blood pressure goes up is at any medical facility because I have white coat syndrome. My thought about not having high blood pressure goes into action so fast, I always have it at that time. I take it before I go into the facility and it is fine. Very hard things to learn to control but if you can get rid of the majority of this, then you will eventually just except the rest and ignore it also. I hope this helped you, and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-08-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

thank you very much, I am having a terrible day today, but I wanted to come on just to read your reply. I will be back later,
thanks

Closed Thread