It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #1

klexicon HB User
Linden Method

Just curious, has anyone tried the Linden Method? I'd like to try it but it's pricey. If anyone has tried it give me some feedback. Sounds interesting. Also, would it be considered a CBT?

Old 02-20-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Re: Linden Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by klexicon
Just curious, has anyone tried the Linden Method? I'd like to try it but it's pricey. If anyone has tried it give me some feedback. Sounds interesting. Also, would it be considered a CBT?
Tell me more about the Linden method and then I can tell you if it would be considered CBT. Thanks!

Billy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 01:43 PM   #3

klexicon HB User
Question Re: Linden Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy7772
Tell me more about the Linden method and then I can tell you if it would be considered CBT. Thanks!

Billy
I'd post his site but i can't. Doesn't say much except that it consists of cd's and books. And there's 7 steps to it or something?

Old 02-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
I'd post his site but i can't. Doesn't say much except that it consists of cd's and books. And there's 7 steps to it or something?
Definitely don't post the site.... I'll try and look him up in a search engine and get back to you

Billy

Old 02-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Definitely don't post the site.... I'll try and look him up in a search engine and get back to you

Billy
I went to his site and it was full of hype/puffery but no real details about how it does what it does? So I can't say whether it is CBT based or not; sorry.
I did notice some inconsistencies in the materials and biography that make me skeptical and make him look like an amateur self promoter. He claims to have been diagnosed at 24 and is currently 36. He shows a picture of himself in 1996 that is presented as being pre Linden Method, yet he says that he developed the method over seven years and claims to have treated over 5000 people for panic attacks over ten years??? The numbers don't add up.
It certainly sounds like it could be based on CBT and he is just commercializing it to make money. CBT has been around much longer and has a much more impressive track record than he is claiming his has, so personally I would take advantage of the many free CBT options available before I shelled out any money on this, but if it works for you that's all that matters in the end

Billy

Old 02-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran

KayT HB User

Hi Billy and all,

I also looked in to this and even emailed this guy. He emailed back and said after you buy the program if you need assistance or have questions he works with you one on one via email and or telephone.

He even gave me a phone number to call to talk to one of his psychologists but it was not in the United States..........I'm not sure where he is located........but the number had a country code at the beginning.........it was 44........if anyone knows what country code that is for long distance...........anyhow, I didn't call...........

There was a guy on here who swore by it, and claimed to have worked directly with this man, but I am also skeptical and not sure I want to spend that kind of money.

Just my two cents,

Kaytee:-)

Old 02-22-2004, 09:07 PM   #7

klexicon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT
Hi Billy and all,

I also looked in to this and even emailed this guy. He emailed back and said after you buy the program if you need assistance or have questions he works with you one on one via email and or telephone.

He even gave me a phone number to call to talk to one of his psychologists but it was not in the United States..........I'm not sure where he is located........but the number had a country code at the beginning.........it was 44........if anyone knows what country code that is for long distance...........anyhow, I didn't call...........

There was a guy on here who swore by it, and claimed to have worked directly with this man, but I am also skeptical and not sure I want to spend that kind of money.

Just my two cents,

Hmm, all very interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'm gonna shell out the money for it but just thought it was interesting. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Hmm, all very interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'm gonna shell out the money for it but just thought it was interesting. Thanks.
Hi KayT and Klex-
After reading the site I think you guys are wise to spend your money elsewhere. I think buying a couple of good CBT books (or better yet getting them free at the library) and getting involved in a free CBT group would be a lot more effective and would not cost a penny

Take care and keep in touch!

Billy

Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #9

klexicon HB User

Quote:
Hi KayT and Klex-
After reading the site I think you guys are wise to spend your money elsewhere. I think buying a couple of good CBT books (or better yet getting them free at the library) and getting involved in a free CBT group would be a lot more effective and would not cost a penny

Take care and keep in touch!

Billy
Thanks Bill

Old 02-26-2004, 10:40 AM   #10
Veteran

KayT HB User

Thanks Bill,

The man that runs the Linden emailed me, but I was still a bit skeptical. He even gave me a phone number to call..........but like I said before...........still skeptical........

I have ordered Been there Done that Do this............will have to wait a couple weeks to get it.........right now am read "Be Anxious For Nothing", it has more of a religous twist to it........but it is comforting to read............there was another book you recommended besides the Sam Orbitz book..............what was the title of that one?

Thanks,

Old 02-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Thanks Bill
My pleasure. Keep in touch

Billy

Old 02-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT
Thanks Bill,

The man that runs the Linden emailed me, but I was still a bit skeptical. He even gave me a phone number to call..........but like I said before...........still skeptical........

I have ordered Been there Done that Do this............will have to wait a couple weeks to get it.........right now am read "Be Anxious For Nothing", it has more of a religous twist to it........but it is comforting to read............there was another book you recommended besides the Sam Orbitz book..............what was the title of that one?

Thanks,

Hi KayT-
I think staying away from Linden for the time being anyway is warranted. IT could be great, but it just sounded fishy to me with it's claims and inconsistencies.
I'm glad the book you are reading is giving you some comfort My copy of the Obitz book came in less than a week, but I live in California. I posted another reply to you about the lost tapes and you were making one of the most common thinking errors called "Blowing Things Outta Proportion." So I think you will enjoy the TEA form as that is what you need to use to counter the thinking errors you are making
The other book I would highly recommend is called "Feeling Good" by David Burns. It is based on the same stuff in the Obitz book but goes into much greater detail. Read and see how you like the Obitz book and practice the tools in it before you get the Burns book as it has so much info in it that it often overwhelms people so I always wait to recommend it to people until they have been introduced to CBT and are having some success with it.

Take care and keep in touch

Billy

Old 02-27-2004, 08:40 AM   #13

amym HB User

telephone numbers starting with +44 are in the UK. I also saw the linden method a while ago and posted about it, my point was - If I found a cure for panic attacks I would not be charging for it, as a panic sufferer he should know how horrible the are and shouldn't be making money out of it

Old 02-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym
telephone numbers starting with +44 are in the UK. I also saw the linden method a while ago and posted about it, my point was - If I found a cure for panic attacks I would not be charging for it, as a panic sufferer he should know how horrible the are and shouldn't be making money out of it
You are on the money with that last comment Amym
There are so many people out there (and even many therapists) that are more interested in their livelihood than in curing your problems. I enriched many therapists and pharmacies over the years before finding CBT. The thing I like most about it is how cost effective it is and how it almost always never last more than 12-weeks even if you are paying for it. Plus there are some great free and inexpensive resources available for CBT that I try and point people to. In the been there book Obitz coined a phrase for what many therapists create called "Therapist Junkies." I think that is exactly what I had become prior to my CBT experience
Take care and again excellent point about Linden.

Billy

Closed Thread