It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #1

AnnieO HB User
Unhappy Help, they're starting again

Hi everyone, this is my first time here. I'm so desperate for any kind of help will be greatly appreciated. My first episode of anixety/panic attacks happened the next day after my hysterectomy(still have 1 ovary) 4yrs ago at the age of 36. My doctor prescribed 20mg. of Celexia and .5mg. of Adavan. Everything went back to normal after 3 months when I was able to return to work. I was even able to go off the adavan but stayed on the celexia. Now here I am laid up again from a foot injury. Low and behold anixety and panic attacks are back. My mind is swarming with questions: Could it be premenopause? Could it be not having a routine of working(attacks only happen at home) I also have an inner ear disorder, could it be that? I have an appointment this week with both my therapist and dr. If anyone has felt this way please help. I feel like I'm losing my mind.
Thanks

Old 02-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Help, they're starting again

welcome,
are you still taking the celexa, this med reduces anxiety and panic attacks sometimes but the dose can eventually need upping and even then it can stop working, I hope doc can figure out what is wrong,
ativan is a valium type med that reduces anxiety and panic attacks and can be taken as needed, goes well with celexa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #3

AnnieO HB User
Smile Re: Help, they're starting again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
welcome,
are you still taking the celexa, this med reduces anxiety and panic attacks sometimes but the dose can eventually need upping and even then it can stop working, I hope doc can figure out what is wrong,
ativan is a valium type med that reduces anxiety and panic attacks and can be taken as needed, goes well with celexa

Hi thanks for writing back. Yes I'm still on the celexa. But I was hoping the dr. will agree on 40mg. instead of the 20 I'm on. The weird thing though is that about 45min after I take my Ativan .25 mg. I actually feel more panicky.
I think I'm just all screwed up

Old 02-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #4

pattycake HB User

Hi

My adoptive mom started having panic attacks during menopause which started at 40. She started Zoloft and has been fine ever since.

I have another friend who's just had 2 emergency room visits, her Dr. suggested panic due to menopause as well; she's 42. She's still battling against taking any meds though, but from what I'm hearing from my lady friends that are going through this stage, anti-depressants are becoming popular for menopause as opposed to hormone therapy.

I read it on CNN too.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:09 PM   #5

Martica HB User

About the Ativan, I had the same experience; about ten minutes after taking it, I began having a severe panic attack. The dr. had no idea why but gave me some different, milder one instead.

Good luck and you are not going crazy! ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Cindy

Old 02-23-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Smile Re: Help, they're starting again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieO
Hi everyone, this is my first time here. I'm so desperate for any kind of help will be greatly appreciated. My first episode of anixety/panic attacks happened the next day after my hysterectomy(still have 1 ovary) 4yrs ago at the age of 36. My doctor prescribed 20mg. of Celexia and .5mg. of Adavan. Everything went back to normal after 3 months when I was able to return to work. I was even able to go off the adavan but stayed on the celexia. Now here I am laid up again from a foot injury. Low and behold anixety and panic attacks are back. My mind is swarming with questions: Could it be premenopause? Could it be not having a routine of working(attacks only happen at home) I also have an inner ear disorder, could it be that? I have an appointment this week with both my therapist and dr. If anyone has felt this way please help. I feel like I'm losing my mind.
Thanks
Dear AnnieO,
I think it is a good idea to have this checked out with your Doctor and seeing a therapist is a good idea also to help you get though this. I just wanted to add something to what Hry33 said about Celexa. I take 20mg a day and I really don't know if it does much of anything for my panic attacks but I am on xanax also, so it is hard to determine. My Psychratrist prescribes the Celexa as for depression for me or at least to help. I don't really feel that it does much for that also but having had a mishap going off a seritonin drug I don't plan on messing around with it. I have tried raising it twice to 30mg. Both times I got so emotional in the first few days, I could not stand it so I went back to 20mg. Another Psychratirst did tell me and I am only quoting what he said: That sometimes when this happens you need to up it a little more, not lower it. I don't know if that is an opinion or something that He had true knowledge of. I just wanted to tell you to be careful with seritonin drugs like Celexa. Just an opinion but might be better to go back to what you were doing with the low dosage of ativan and celexa at 20mg and see if you can go back off the ativan and stay at 20mg celexa. Least amount of medications that will work. Just a thought. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-24-2004, 01:53 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Thanks

Hi Annie,

You said you had an inner ear infection, could you maybe have Vertigo? It causes all kind of symptoms and some are simular to Panic. The doctor would know for sure. It's also weird that you just have them at home. You should read about inner ear infections on the net, and also allergies. You can find alot of interesting things. Maybe you are allergic to something in your room? I'm just shooting ideas out in the air, but it's worth researching. I hope you feel better soon hun.

Chantel

Old 03-13-2004, 04:42 PM   #8

AnnieO HB User

Hi Everyone Thanks For Replying. I've Been Doing Really Good Lately. Me, My Physician, And Counselor Believe The Panic Attacks Were Coming From A Diet Supplement (all Natural) I Was Taking From This Diet Center I Belong To. I Stopped The Pills And The Panic Attacks Have Stopped. I Still Feel Somewhat Anxious So I'm Going To Discuss With My Physician About Increasing My Celexia To 40mg. My Counselor Feels That Would Be A Good Idea Also.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Hi Everyone Thanks For Replying. I've Been Doing Really Good Lately. Me, My Physician, And Counselor Believe The Panic Attacks Were Coming From A Diet Supplement (all Natural) I Was Taking From This Diet Center I Belong To. I Stopped The Pills And The Panic Attacks Have Stopped. I Still Feel Somewhat Anxious So I'm Going To Discuss With My Physician About Increasing My Celexia To 40mg. My Counselor Feels That Would Be A Good Idea Also.

Glad to hear you are feeling better hun

Chantel

Closed Thread