It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User
Re: Had another one today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzykim00
Hi again Chantel

Your right, the dye didn't hurt at all, it was just a freaky feeling. I had a really nice older gentleman who did mine and he explained everything as he was doing it. That always helps to keep you from going crazy They didn't have stickers to look at so I would focus on a spot on the ceiling.

As for meds, I am not on any yet. I haven't been able to get up the nerve to call and make an appt. Pretty sad, huh? I know that I need to, have been trying to do it for a week now. I get so disgusted with myself sometimes

Hope you are doing well. I have housework that needs done today....yipee

Kim
Well, at least you are keeping busy, even if it is housework I don't think you are sad at all for not taking medication. I didn't want to take any either. I hate even thinking about taking medication every single day, but I had no choice. My attacks were so severe, I could not function. I would have them all day long. It seems like it never let up and if it did, it was only for about 30 minutes to an hour or so. I felt like I was going totally crazy. Not to mention the withdrawals I was going through from my old doctor taking me off and putting me on medication. Either way you choose, I wish you the best of luck hun. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Chantel

Old 03-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #17

dizzykim00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantel2003
Well, at least you are keeping busy, even if it is housework I don't think you are sad at all for not taking medication. I didn't want to take any either. I hate even thinking about taking medication every single day, but I had no choice. My attacks were so severe, I could not function. I would have them all day long. It seems like it never let up and if it did, it was only for about 30 minutes to an hour or so. I felt like I was going totally crazy. Not to mention the withdrawals I was going through from my old doctor taking me off and putting me on medication. Either way you choose, I wish you the best of luck hun. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Chantel
Just wanted to let you know I dug up enough nerve today and called the doctor. Not even sure that he'll be able to help me, but at least I am taking that first step. I haven't had a full blown attack in a week, but things just aren't right, you know? I'm always on edge, scared of being home alone, scared to eat when I'm home alone for fear that I'll choke or something, afraid to fall asleep at night.....always feel like I have a GIANT lump in my throat. Its a never ending cycle.....ugh! I have a week till my appt., so I'll be worrying about that too.

I want to thank you for all the responses, it really does help to have someone to talk to who understands. Hope you have a good evening.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #18
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know I dug up enough nerve today and called the doctor. Not even sure that he'll be able to help me, but at least I am taking that first step. I haven't had a full blown attack in a week, but things just aren't right, you know? I'm always on edge, scared of being home alone, scared to eat when I'm home alone for fear that I'll choke or something, afraid to fall asleep at night.....always feel like I have a GIANT lump in my throat. Its a never ending cycle.....ugh! I have a week till my appt., so I'll be worrying about that too.

I want to thank you for all the responses, it really does help to have someone to talk to who understands. Hope you have a good evening.

Kim
Hi Kim,

You don't have to thank me hun. I am just trying to help. I had a lot of help when I first came in here and I want to do the same. I am also glad you are trying to get some help. Maybe the doctor can give you something to take the edge off, even if it's just a nerve pill. I know what you mean about being scared to sleep and being home alone. My husband had to take off of work because I couldn't bare to even think about being alone. That was weird for me because before my attacks...I loved being alone, lol. I was so independant and not scared of anything. These attacks just take over your life and that is very frustrating. The meds helped me get a lot of my life back. I'm not my "old" self completely, but I am very darn close and that is wonderful for me. If you had seen me before, you wouldn't believe I was the same person. I wouldn't have even been able to come online and type, that's how bad off I was. I could not even concentrate. Anyway.......I wish you the best and let me know how the doctor's visit goes.

Chantel

Old 03-04-2004, 01:33 PM   #19

dizzykim00 HB User

Quote:
Hi Kim,

You don't have to thank me hun. I am just trying to help. I had a lot of help when I first came in here and I want to do the same. I am also glad you are trying to get some help. Maybe the doctor can give you something to take the edge off, even if it's just a nerve pill. I know what you mean about being scared to sleep and being home alone. My husband had to take off of work because I couldn't bare to even think about being alone. That was weird for me because before my attacks...I loved being alone, lol. I was so independant and not scared of anything. These attacks just take over your life and that is very frustrating. The meds helped me get a lot of my life back. I'm not my "old" self completely, but I am very darn close and that is wonderful for me. If you had seen me before, you wouldn't believe I was the same person. I wouldn't have even been able to come online and type, that's how bad off I was. I could not even concentrate. Anyway.......I wish you the best and let me know how the doctor's visit goes.

Chantel

Sounds like you have/had been suffering from this for quite some time, how long has it been for you? You mentioned being married, how does your husband cope with this? Mine tries his best but its hard for him to understand how I can feel so afraid of being alone. I love him to death, I really do, but it has always been hard for me to express myself....I was metally abused all during my first marriage (14 years), that crushes what self esteem you THOUGHT you had. I was doing so well, I got out of that situation, I learned to be independant, and now this has happened. I hate feeling like such a failure and a huge let down to my family.

Sorry, the past few days have been an emotional roller coaster and I tend to ramble more during those times. I hope you are doing well....

Kim

Old 03-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #20

purrsia HB User

Quote:
Sounds like you have/had been suffering from this for quite some time, how long has it been for you? You mentioned being married, how does your husband cope with this? Mine tries his best but its hard for him to understand how I can feel so afraid of being alone. I love him to death, I really do, but it has always been hard for me to express myself....I was metally abused all during my first marriage (14 years), that crushes what self esteem you THOUGHT you had. I was doing so well, I got out of that situation, I learned to be independant, and now this has happened. I hate feeling like such a failure and a huge let down to my family.

Sorry, the past few days have been an emotional roller coaster and I tend to ramble more during those times. I hope you are doing well....

Kim
Hi Kim...I agree that being mentally abused by your spouse will diffinately do damage to not only your self-esteem, but your confidence. I also understand when you say how its so hard for your husband to understand. Do you see a doctor for your anxiety and if so, does your husband go with you? My husband goes to all my sessions and this has helped him so much in understanding what I've been going through. The doctor also lent my husband a book to read "Understanding Panic and Anxiety" so he could understand a little more. My husband supports me 100 percent and not til recently did I tell my family of my mental illness. After I sat down and explained everything, they all seemed sympathetic..especially my mom cuz we are so close. I realize that not everyone or every family will understand, I'm just very lucky. One thing you need to understand thoroughly is that your are not a failure Kim! And, I'm sure your family doesn't feel that way either. Do you take any meds or are you in any kind of therapy?
Gosh, after rereading your post, I hope your talking about panic attacks. If not, please disregard this and I'm sorry..LOL

Old 03-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #21

kallebach HB User

Hello everyone, I am new to the boards. I see there is another Kim on here too. I have been on paxilCR for 6 weeks. I was initially on the 12.5 mg dosage and totally lost it 2 weeks ago so they upped my dosage to 25mg. Which is the next dosage up form 12.5. I seperated from my husband in July of 2003. I have 2 children. I was completely fine for the first 6 months after the seperation and then started having chest pains, a pain in my ribs, crying panic, shaking, anxiety. I went to the doctors who said maybe it was my gallbladder so I went and had an ultrasound and this dye injected into me to see how quickly my gallbladder was emptying. Well guess what everything came back normal. I call the doctors office 3 times that week in a total panic. Finally I went into see the doctor again and she referred me to a counseling group saying it was anxiety that I had been through a lot in the past 9 years...... Emotionally abusive relationshipI won't go into that right now....

Anyway I met with the psychatrist who put me on the paxilCR 12.5 dosage, the first 9 days of the medication I vomited everyday, my head felt tight, I felt distant, couldn't sleep and felt terrible. I called the psychatrist who told me to try to stick with it, this is really the best thing for panic and anxiety disorder. So I decided to stick with it for 5 more days. Miraculously I stopped vomiting and felt the best I had in years for about 10 days. Then out of the blue on a Monday, and I was supposed to get my period the following saturday, I had constant panic attacks. I was also taking Lorazaprem (generic Ativan) as I needed it to help until the medicine took it's full effects in 4-6 weeks. However this time the Lorazaprem really didn't help. Went back to the doctor's office the following Monday after a week of hell and they upped my doseage to the 25mg. Well for the first 10 days of being on the 25mg I felt great again and now on the 11th day I am so dizzy, my fingertips are tingling and feel like pins and needles, I have a rash on my palm, which is so itchy.

Does anyone have any advice as to why theses meds make me feel so good for a short period of time and then so crappy. Do you think I could just be experienceing the side effects of the 25mg and it will take me another month to get over this?

I am now getting paranoid that this is doing something really bad to my body.

Any advice would be great.

PS My doctor prescribed Thorazadone to sleep at night. You take 25mg-50mg which is apparent not that strong for this type of medication. Take if 45 minutes before you go to bed and then you sleep like a baby. Again I have 2 small children and was afraid to take it in the beginning because if an emergency happens in the middle of the night I needed to be able to function. The other night my 6 year old woke up throwing up and I was fine getting up and taking care of him and then fell right back to sleep after he was situated again.

Old 03-06-2004, 05:59 AM   #22

dizzykim00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrsia
Hi Kim...I agree that being mentally abused by your spouse will diffinately do damage to not only your self-esteem, but your confidence. I also understand when you say how its so hard for your husband to understand. Do you see a doctor for your anxiety and if so, does your husband go with you? My husband goes to all my sessions and this has helped him so much in understanding what I've been going through. The doctor also lent my husband a book to read "Understanding Panic and Anxiety" so he could understand a little more. My husband supports me 100 percent and not til recently did I tell my family of my mental illness. After I sat down and explained everything, they all seemed sympathetic..especially my mom cuz we are so close. I realize that not everyone or every family will understand, I'm just very lucky. One thing you need to understand thoroughly is that your are not a failure Kim! And, I'm sure your family doesn't feel that way either. Do you take any meds or are you in any kind of therapy?
Gosh, after rereading your post, I hope your talking about panic attacks. If not, please disregard this and I'm sorry..LOL

Hi

Yeah, I have been talking about panic attacks, so no need to be sorry

I have not seen a doctor yet, so obviously not on meds either. I did finally get up the nerve to call one, and I see him on the 9th. He is a family doctor so I'm not even sure he'll be able to help me. Guess I'll find out My husband is taking time off work to go with me, which I'm thankful for. I'm nervous already, I'll be a basket case on the day I go lol

Your lucky you have such a close relationship with your mom. I've never really been able to talk to mine, or my 2 sisters. My mom has her favorite (my youngest sis) and she doesn't hide it. That's a long story I won't go in to though. I started having these in Oct. and I didn't tell any of them till last week, and that was only because I was having one, hubby was working late and I couldn't stand being here alone. I had my sis come get me (she still lives at home, with her 5 year old) The only thing said to me was "why didn't you tell anyone".

My current husband and I have been married 7 years, and I know he supports me in this also. Not the fist time he has had to deal with something like this, I also have an inner ear disorder. (have gone to therapy for that). I think if it comes to going to therapy again, I would love for him to go with me this time. I know this has been hard on him too, my first one happened as I was falling asleep in bed, now I'm afraid to sleep there and spend a lot of nights on the couch

Oh wow, I hadn't realized I had been rambling so much LOL Hope you have a good weekend

Kim

Old 03-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #23
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:

Kim
Hi Kim

I had my first panic attack in August of last year. It really hasn't been that long, but I have suffered from anxiety and depression for years. My husband has been good to me. He has been there since the beginning. It is hard for him to understand too, but I do a lot of research and I sit down with him and explain things. I was also in an abusive relationship with my first husband. I had very low self esteem and I could barely do things on my own. When I met my 2nd husband, I always thought he was going to cheat on me because my first husband did this. As the years went by, I noticed he was always there for me and the only thing he ever does by himself is fish and hunt, lol. We have been together for 11 years and I am so glad I met him. I don't care what anyone thinks of me now. I tell everyone I suffer from panic and if they don't like it....that is their problem. I like to let people know just in case something happens. I think if you sit down with your husband and let him read some stuff off the internet, he will understand more. Hugs to you.

Chantel

Old 03-07-2004, 04:08 PM   #24
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallebach
Hello everyone, I am new to the boards. I see there is another Kim on here too. I have been on paxilCR for 6 weeks. I was initially on the 12.5 mg dosage and totally lost it 2 weeks ago so they upped my dosage to 25mg. Which is the next dosage up form 12.5. I seperated from my husband in July of 2003. I have 2 children. I was completely fine for the first 6 months after the seperation and then started having chest pains, a pain in my ribs, crying panic, shaking, anxiety. I went to the doctors who said maybe it was my gallbladder so I went and had an ultrasound and this dye injected into me to see how quickly my gallbladder was emptying. Well guess what everything came back normal. I call the doctors office 3 times that week in a total panic. Finally I went into see the doctor again and she referred me to a counseling group saying it was anxiety that I had been through a lot in the past 9 years...... Emotionally abusive relationshipI won't go into that right now....

Anyway I met with the psychatrist who put me on the paxilCR 12.5 dosage, the first 9 days of the medication I vomited everyday, my head felt tight, I felt distant, couldn't sleep and felt terrible. I called the psychatrist who told me to try to stick with it, this is really the best thing for panic and anxiety disorder. So I decided to stick with it for 5 more days. Miraculously I stopped vomiting and felt the best I had in years for about 10 days. Then out of the blue on a Monday, and I was supposed to get my period the following saturday, I had constant panic attacks. I was also taking Lorazaprem (generic Ativan) as I needed it to help until the medicine took it's full effects in 4-6 weeks. However this time the Lorazaprem really didn't help. Went back to the doctor's office the following Monday after a week of hell and they upped my doseage to the 25mg. Well for the first 10 days of being on the 25mg I felt great again and now on the 11th day I am so dizzy, my fingertips are tingling and feel like pins and needles, I have a rash on my palm, which is so itchy.

Does anyone have any advice as to why theses meds make me feel so good for a short period of time and then so crappy. Do you think I could just be experienceing the side effects of the 25mg and it will take me another month to get over this?

I am now getting paranoid that this is doing something really bad to my body.

Any advice would be great.

PS My doctor prescribed Thorazadone to sleep at night. You take 25mg-50mg which is apparent not that strong for this type of medication. Take if 45 minutes before you go to bed and then you sleep like a baby. Again I have 2 small children and was afraid to take it in the beginning because if an emergency happens in the middle of the night I needed to be able to function. The other night my 6 year old woke up throwing up and I was fine getting up and taking care of him and then fell right back to sleep after he was situated again.
Hi kallebach

I understand where you are coming from. It takes a little while for your body to adjust to this medicine. We all have been through the ups and the downs. You just started and like your doctor said, it takes from 4-6 weeks to feel the full effects. Any SSRI I've ever been on has made me nauseated for the first 2 weeks. It will just take time for you to adjust. Some of us have to try a few different ones before we find the right one. I would stick with it for a little while longer and see what happens.

I also suffer from small panic attacks before I start my periods. I guess it's from hormones or something. I get it every single month. They are not as bad as my first attack, but they last all night long. Very frustrating to say the least.

I would let your doctor know about the rash on your palm. You may be allergic to something in the medicine and she/he may want to change you. I have no clue why you have tingling. I've never had that before, but I have had the dizzyness and a few other things. You may want to tell your doctor about that too. Hope you feel better soon and welcome to the boards

Chantel

Old 03-10-2004, 02:01 AM   #25

dizzykim00 HB User

Quote:
Hi Kim

I had my first panic attack in August of last year. It really hasn't been that long, but I have suffered from anxiety and depression for years. My husband has been good to me. He has been there since the beginning. It is hard for him to understand too, but I do a lot of research and I sit down with him and explain things. I was also in an abusive relationship with my first husband. I had very low self esteem and I could barely do things on my own. When I met my 2nd husband, I always thought he was going to cheat on me because my first husband did this. As the years went by, I noticed he was always there for me and the only thing he ever does by himself is fish and hunt, lol. We have been together for 11 years and I am so glad I met him. I don't care what anyone thinks of me now. I tell everyone I suffer from panic and if they don't like it....that is their problem. I like to let people know just in case something happens. I think if you sit down with your husband and let him read some stuff off the internet, he will understand more. Hugs to you.

Chantel
Hi again Chantel

Well, here it is, 3:30 in the morning and I just can't sleep. I get to the point where I'm ready to fall asleep, and then my breathing scares me. I feel like I am on the verge of an attack, but it just won't happen.

I went to the dr. yesterday. He basically confirmed that I have a panic disorder, which is what I expected. He wants me to try Lexapro, but honestly, I'm too scared. I told him this, but he tried to convince me otherwise, saying if I didn't this was going to consume me. I understand his point, but it doesn't make me any less scared. He also suggested therapy, which I was already thinking about.

The night before the appt. I finally sat down with hubby and told him everything that has been going on. I felt a lot better doing that. I also told him my biggest fear was of him getting fed up with me and leaving.....even tho he has told me a million times he would NEVER do that. He also wants to to give the meds a shot. Said if I didn't, it would be like I was giving up. I don't feel that way.

Well, I just wanted to update you on what the doctor had to say.I really need to try and get some sleep, I just hope I can stay calm enough. Hope you are doing well.

Kim

Old 03-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #26
(female)

Madj HB User

Dear Kim,

I just wanted to say that maybe you should try the therapy first before beginning any medication. Who knows? Therapy might work for you. It didn't for me when my problem started, but not everyone is the same. Give it a go. I have now started therapy again and I am feeling very positive.

Madj

Old 03-10-2004, 07:32 AM   #27

dizzykim00 HB User

Hi Madj

That is probably the path I will take....therapy and no meds. In the past I have tried meds, such as paxil, buspar, wellbutrin, and have always had such a bad reaction to them. That is why I am so afraid now. I just don't want my family thinking I don't want to get better, cause I don't want to try them, you know? Thats not the case at all, I know I can't continue to live with so much fear.

I have appreciated all the help and support I have received here. You guys are the greatest

Kim

Old 03-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #28
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Hi again Chantel

Well, here it is, 3:30 in the morning and I just can't sleep. I get to the point where I'm ready to fall asleep, and then my breathing scares me. I feel like I am on the verge of an attack, but it just won't happen.

I went to the dr. yesterday. He basically confirmed that I have a panic disorder, which is what I expected. He wants me to try Lexapro, but honestly, I'm too scared. I told him this, but he tried to convince me otherwise, saying if I didn't this was going to consume me. I understand his point, but it doesn't make me any less scared. He also suggested therapy, which I was already thinking about.

The night before the appt. I finally sat down with hubby and told him everything that has been going on. I felt a lot better doing that. I also told him my biggest fear was of him getting fed up with me and leaving.....even tho he has told me a million times he would NEVER do that. He also wants to to give the meds a shot. Said if I didn't, it would be like I was giving up. I don't feel that way.

Well, I just wanted to update you on what the doctor had to say.I really need to try and get some sleep, I just hope I can stay calm enough. Hope you are doing well.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I am sorry I am seeing this post so late. I think I told you I was back working, but now I am working full time again. It is keeping me pretty busy and tired to say that least. I have to drag myself on here to visit with my friends

I get the exact same thing you get at night. It feels like an attack is right there and nothing. Sometimes I think it's going to start and I do some deep breathing. I have been off of my benzo(klonopin) now for 2 weeks, and I am determined to stay off of it. I keep it by me when I sleep just in case though.........but I have managed not to take it.

I am also on Lexapro and I have to say that it is a good drug. I thought it was making me tired a couple of weeks ago, but I found out it was the Klonopin. I feel good again, and as you know I am working.........so yes, it has made me feel like myself again. I still get those days that I feel like I'm going to panic, like right now, but I think it's from drinking too much caffeine. I feel like I am on the edge right now. My stomach is churning and I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I guess if I would stop the caffeine, I would feel better huh? Well, it helps me wake up in the morning, lol.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and if you decide to take the Lexapro.........I will be here to help you if you have any questions.

Chantel

Closed Thread