It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #1

tomcat1658 HB User
Unhappy Pins and Needles in face and head!

Hello, this is my first post. I have had anxiety and panic for about 8 years now. It has pretty much cost me everything, my job, finances, house, now all I do is obsess about how I feel while friends and loved ones support me.

Introduce depression: lol as this is not how I want my life to be; I wish to return the the productive and vibrant person I once knew.

The main problem that is slowing me down is the pins and needle sensation in my face and scalp. It drives me crazy, and I just simply can not deal with it. Even something as minor as this odd sensation has sent me to the ER many times.

It occurs when I am not in panic and when I am, its almost chronic. It does have periods where it is not there though which I do try to recognize as positive. However it has been really bad lately and my hand is always poised over the phone ready to call the ambulance. I have researched my brains out...from allergies to MS to everything inbetween, I simply can not find a link to the head and face. Mostly what I read is related to the hands, feet and so forth. MS is the only one that resembles, but I am confident it is not the case and I did have a MRI a few years back at the onset that was neg.

Desperate to know if others suffer this same condition, if and how it was treated and so forth. My meds do not affect it, although I am only 1 week on zoloft and scared to death to increase the dose in the next day or two as instructed lol. I have been on klonopin for about 8 years...perhaps I am haveing tolerance to it, which alone is scary as benzo is the only thing that has somewhat "saved my life." The apprehension of upping my Zoloft dose is not the culprit as I was in the ER for this before being prescribed it...it just simply has not gone away

Thank you for any help you can offer. :-)
P.S
where is the spell checker? Lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #2

jeff8 HB User
Re: Pins and Needles in face and head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat1658
Hello, this is my first post. I have had anxiety and panic for about 8 years now. It has pretty much cost me everything, my job, finances, house, now all I do is obsess about how I feel while friends and loved ones support me.

Introduce depression: lol as this is not how I want my life to be; I wish to return the the productive and vibrant person I once knew.

The main problem that is slowing me down is the pins and needle sensation in my face and scalp. It drives me crazy, and I just simply can not deal with it. Even something as minor as this odd sensation has sent me to the ER many times.

It occurs when I am not in panic and when I am, its almost chronic. It does have periods where it is not there though which I do try to recognize as positive. However it has been really bad lately and my hand is always poised over the phone ready to call the ambulance. I have researched my brains out...from allergies to MS to everything inbetween, I simply can not find a link to the head and face. Mostly what I read is related to the hands, feet and so forth. MS is the only one that resembles, but I am confident it is not the case and I did have a MRI a few years back at the onset that was neg.

Desperate to know if others suffer this same condition, if and how it was treated and so forth. My meds do not affect it, although I am only 1 week on zoloft and scared to death to increase the dose in the next day or two as instructed lol. I have been on klonopin for about 8 years...perhaps I am haveing tolerance to it, which alone is scary as benzo is the only thing that has somewhat "saved my life." The apprehension of upping my Zoloft dose is not the culprit as I was in the ER for this before being prescribed it...it just simply has not gone away

Thank you for any help you can offer. :-)
P.S
where is the spell checker? Lol
I don't really have any answers for you but I just want to let you know that I get the pins and needles in the head and face too but only when waking up in the mornings after some stressful nightmares. It goes away later however. It's probably stress related but I have considered going to a chiropractor and or getting sacral-cranial (specialized massage technique) work done just in case it has something to do with pinched nerves.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi,
You're not alone. I have had the same sensation for the past 9 months off and on. It is like a tingling or pins and needles sensation over my entire face and scalp. I just had an MRI last week(turning out normal), as well. I have many other symptoms along with this and have been searching for answers for the last several months. My Dr. had me convinced for awhile that it was all anxiety related, but I no longer believe this.

A lot of times anxiety sufferers tend to be shallow breathers and end up hyperventilating during an attack. This can cause that pins and needles feeling in the face and/or hands. My Dr. tells me this over and over. He won't listen to me when I tell him I am breathing just fine and am not having an attack when I get this weird sensation. Also, it will last for days at a time and I highly doubt I would still be here if I were hyperventilating for days.lol I am seeing a Neuro now who is actually listening to me, but I'm not getting any answers. Every test I've had done so far has turned out normal.

I can definatly relate. I have also researched for hours trying to find some answers.
Take care~
Hilery

Last edited by hilery79; 03-07-2004 at 09:28 PM.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
(male)

sts22 HB User

If it is a nerve lesion, it's probably the Trigeminal (CN V), which provides sensory innervation to the face,scalp,and cornea, and motor innervation to the jaw muscles. Do you have any other symptoms, like jaw muscle weakness? Is the pins and needles sensation on both sides of your face?

One way to find out if it is a Trigeminal lesion is to take a piece of tissue paper and twist up one end so that you have a fine point. Then lightly touch the colored part of your eye with the pointed end. If the nerve is intact, you should blink. If it is damaged, you won't blink.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:59 AM   #5

Tony1 HB User

I had this for the first time the other day. Woke up with my back sore again in which I am thinking the worst and got back in bed. I was just laying there and all of the sudden this *****ly (pins/needles) feeling starts at my neck and up my whole face. I didn't even think I was worrying about anything too. I thought o.k. now I am having a heart attack! Grabbed my xanax and was about to call an ambulance but thought I should wait. That was my first time with that. I have felt it coming on again but I was able to distract myself and think of something else. Funny thing is, even if I think I'm not thinking about something I find that sublimaly I am.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to tomcat
the pins and needles may be from the fight or flight response which reduces bloodflow to the edges of the body, causing numbness or pins and needles

look up fight or flight response on the net, stress and anxiety causes it, the zoloft should reduce your anxiety a lot

Old 03-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #7

MSH HB User

I just posted a similar question on Sleep Disorders a few days ago. Please see that quetsion and tell me if you think its similar. I have had anxiety attacks for about three years now and this sensation comes and goes.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #8

franjava22 HB User

Anyone ever thought about hyperventillation? You can do it without even knowing. I don't know why a doc wouldn't pick up on that one, though. My Lamaze teacher warned us that if we felt tingling in our faces, we were breathing to quickly and hyperventillating. Just a thought...

Old 03-15-2004, 07:18 PM   #9

fairchild HB User

I get this same sensation but I get this tingling sensation on my left and right temple. It really freaks me out, I get this feeling like I'm gonna have a stroke. I've had this sensation multiple times and it went away after I slept. Just been really stressed out lately. I'm going to the doc on Monday to get a physical. The body can do a lot of weird things and someone with anxiety can freak about every little thing that happens to them. Anyways, maybe its just me stressing. But I'm still getting the physical, its always a good idea to get your body checked.

Old 03-20-2004, 08:40 AM   #10

tomcat1658 HB User

Thanks alot everyone It is nice to know that I don't suffer from this alone. HR33 originally inspired me to join this board as I saw her post on a simular topic while searching the net in general for this symptom. Its been hard, I have had horrible debilitating anxiety with panic for 8 years. Of course more things get piled on top like agoraphobia, now I have a new one OCD tendencies...."realated to worry" Im always worried about how I feel and the things going on in my body....classic hypochondriac. Can't work, can't have relationships with other people<<<cause can't go out. Oh, if I could just only have the panic attacks...but my symptoms are 24/7 which can lead into a panic attack when they get bad enough.

Now, I get the pins and needles at home as well...my living arrangement is a little stressful, im reduced to living in a house of a lot of people with my ex girlfriend and her boyfriend lol. However, I notice I have extreame pins and needles in the face and head while driving, so I have only about a 3 mile driving window now. It can also happen at my destination, like in walmart. So yes, I think it is just a constant state of worry, even when I am not "thinking" im worrying.........I am pretty sure that I am.

Im resolved to try something new. I have been a Dr. Jumper, never seeing the same one more than 1 or 2 times, and just kept getting the klonopin which now seems to have less effect. Stopped the zoloft, was prescribed that while in a hospital stay but without insurance...o man, just long long story.....without being able to work, I just flat out have no money so all they gave me was the trial pack, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get more.
Going on medicade, should have it next week. And going to a new doc to 1, tell him I don't want to be automatically cast aside that my symptoms are panic/anxiety I want to be medically checked out, and since most of "my" symptoms are nerologic, I wan't that checked out to. This will bring some piece of mind. Then off to a psychiatrist for med treatment. I shall purchase the book Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz I have never had any counseling to deal with this, it was always the drugs and run.

When the agoraphobia subsides, I shall seek traditional CBT.

I pray for all of you, I am so in your boat...if anyone stumbles upon this post. I do know how you feel..and I empathize. What a terrible thing we live with, I find strenght in those that have beat it, and may we all be on the road to good mental health once more.

"im sick and tired of being sick" :-)
I hate this condition soooo much, that if I ever can get on my feet again, Im devoting a large portion of my life to helping others. There is enough pain and disease and unhappiness in the world without something like this to be thrown on top.

To those new to the wonderful world of GAD Panic Dissorder Agoraphobia and the like...you are not alone, even though sometimes you feel that you are.

Also, i have done some further insight into the troubles of pins and needles, expecially in the face and head...im looking into allergies, posture or back related, sinus and anything else that could possibly affect the head in such a manner.

IF you guys have anymore thoughts or insight, or have recieved a viable explanation from dr's and so forth..please keep continuing to post....to me this is my most crippiling symptom...well that and I also get this throat closing sensation even during non panic situations....that I think may be allergies thought, and smoking :-)

sorry for the lack of spell check, im tired and lazy feeling today.
take care, and see you on the boards soon

Closed Thread