It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

starr21 HB User
Question Can a psychiatrist prescribe meds???

It's been awhile since i posted, but i went to the doctor and he prescribed prozac 10 mg. I made me feel terrible. I puked and couldn't eat for days also it made me very dizzy. So i stopped it and he gave me another script for depakote. The made me feel even worse. So i ended up going to the er feeling like i was going to have a nervous breakdown. They gave me enough xanax for 5 days. I now need to go to a psychiatrist for treatment. The only thing i'm worried about is i was told that a psychiatrist can't prescribe me any meds. Is this true? Because i'm afraid that my doc won't let me get them anymore. This is a wonderful pill that just takes it all away. I wanted it only until i can go talk to a pshchiatrist about helping me deal with them.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Can a psychiatrist prescribe meds???

A Psychiatrist can prescribe medication it's a Psychologist that can't.
Don't be surprised however if the Psychiatrist won't give you Xanax and instead wants you to take an SSRI like Zoloft or Paxil.
I'm not saying they are all like this, but it was my experiance with everyone I went to see.

I'm not putting Xanax down in any way...I took it for my panic disorder and I never had any trouble whatsoever with it.
I took a very low dose....1/4MG twice a day....I never took more, never felt the need to and never felt shakey between doses.
When my panic attacks stopped I weaned off of it with no trouble...but not everyone is the same.
Some people develop a tolorance to it or a dependence...not addiction...on it.
Some people feel that they have to keep upping their dose and they have trouble getting off of it.
Like I said I had none of those problems, but everyone has different reactions to any medication.
All I'm saying is....if you keep taking the Xanax just be careful and if at anytime you feel like you need to take more than the prescription says...dont' do it...call your Doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I suggest you find another doc, he should have given you some xanax or similar med, prozac helps sometimes but can have strong side effects for a few weeks

depakote is unsuitable for panic attacks and anxiety, doc may have wrongly diagnosed you

xanax as needed is safe and wont make you feel bad, try to find a doc who will prescribe it, its a valium type med and the others work as well.see a psych if you want to but its doubtful they help much, IMO. also theres usually a long wait for the first appointment.

as mentioned, psychiatrists can prescribe, they qualified as docs then did additional training

psychologists learned at university and never did medicine and generally cant prescribe

OTC travel sickness pills are calming, if you cant get any xanax or other benzo

Old 04-25-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
(female)

starr21 HB User

I don't know what i will do if i don't get the xanax. It is very comforting to me since it's the only thing that has worked. I don't want to go back to experimenting with the other meds. I'm not addicted it's only been 2 days on it.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
Inactive

westin4 HB User

starr,
I too take Xanax. I have been on the same dose for over 6 years now. I take .50 in the morning, .25 in the afternoon if I need it, and .50 at bedtime. I have never needed to adjust my dose and have never felt the need to. The key is sticking with the dose and not playing around with how much you take. It works so well, I think sometimes people are proned to take more than prescribed. My psych ( yes, they can prescribe ) insisted that I try Xanax. He saw that all the ssri's were giving me horrible side effects but I was afraid of Xanax. He assured me that my concerns were good but told me if I was responsibe with it, I could take it for life without problems. It was a true blessing for me and I hope if that is the med you need you can take it. Good luck.
Karen

Old 04-26-2004, 09:57 AM   #6

Tanki HB User

Psychiatrists are the only doctors that can perscribe medications for anxiety, depression etc...

Last edited by Tanki; 04-26-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Good luck, but I will never go to a psychiatrist again. The 1st one that I went to wanted to wean me off of 1 MG of Xanax & wouldn't prescribe any. She put me on neurontnin & some other b.s. ssri. I felt horrible the next 2 days. The next one that I went to said that he doesn't prescribe xanax or any benzo. They seem to be on an anti-benzo kick, which is ridiculous. They love to prescribe the SSRI's.

I now go to my doc who prescribes me xanax 1 mg. per day. He said that if it works & I don't abuse it (which I proved to him) then why change.

Psychiatrists are terrible from my experience.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #8

Tanki HB User

I've been with my psychiatrist for 7 yrs now, i am still seeing her, and she has helped me out.

Guess I'm lucky, not too many people can say they are with the same doctor for therapy after all these years.

Closed Thread