It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 02:07 AM   #1

Idgiebay HB User
Sick feeling in throat...

This is an odd question and I don't know how to phrase it quite right, but does anyone ever get a sick feeling in their throat? Not like something is stuck there, but... maybe like there's blood in the back of your throat? Something like that. I get that feeling a lot and, of course, start to think, "Oh gosh, now I'm bleeding internally!" But I figure if I was, I'd be dead by now because it sure happens a lot...

But I still can't stop myself from panicking over it because I don't know what it is. Does anyone else have any similar problem at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 04:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User
Re: Sick feeling in throat...

Could it maybe be acid reflux? You know how you get that nasty stuff that comes up in your mouth after you eat? Maybe it's coming up, but only staying in your throat. Not really sure what it could be, but I would rule out blood. If it was blood it would probably be coming up into your mouth and/or sinuses. Just a guess, but I'm sure there is nothing to worry about. Does it hurt at all?

Chantel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 05:16 AM   #3

Idgiebay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantel2003
Could it maybe be acid reflux? You know how you get that nasty stuff that comes up in your mouth after you eat? Maybe it's coming up, but only staying in your throat. Not really sure what it could be, but I would rule out blood. If it was blood it would probably be coming up into your mouth and/or sinuses. Just a guess, but I'm sure there is nothing to worry about. Does it hurt at all?

Chantel
Thanks for responding. I thought about it being acid reflux, but doesn't that usually burn? My rational mind tells me to rule out blood, too, because I would have been coughing it up if it were in the back of my throat, but still.. you know.. panic and all.

No, it doesn't hurt at all. It's just a weird, sick feeling that sometimes extends to my chest... I've been getting it for a while and I've been fine thus far, but I started panicking tonight, for some reason.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Oh believe me....I know what you mean about panicking. I do it a lot! I start feeling funny and my mind doesn't recognise this feeling as something I've had before.....then before you know it, I'm beginning to panic.

Acid reflux doesn't always burn. I get it a lot and sometimes I feel like my throat is "raw". Sometimes it doesn't come all the way up for me either. I would still have it checked cause it can be a number of things. Either way, you may have to take medication for it. You just want to be on the safe side.......yanno? I know when I had thyroiditis, my throat felt real funny. I can't even explain the feeling. Maybe go get it checked out.

Chantel

Old 04-29-2004, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

This may sound over simplistic but...is it possible that your sinuses are draining down the back of your throat?
Mine do that all the time...and every once in a great while I think I taste blood...but like you said if it was blood I'd be coughing it up.
This may not be your problem, but just thought it was worth posting..if you have sinus or allergy problems maybe that's what's causing it.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Thanks for responding. I thought about it being acid reflux, but doesn't that usually burn? My rational mind tells me to rule out blood, too, because I would have been coughing it up if it were in the back of my throat, but still.. you know.. panic and all.

No, it would not actually burn. I have acid reflex, had it before anxiety and it can make you feel like you're choking and that's all a part of anxiety too, because you feel this strange feeling in your throat, so what do you do? you panic! It sometimes feels sour or just strange. Sometimes you'll cough or cough up flem, etc. Any burning in the stomach or pains in the chest or feel like a screwdriver just went through you? Any upper back discomfort or pain?

Old 04-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran

KayT HB User

I had to respond, because I went through the throat thing about five years ago. My throat didn't hurt, but it felt strange, as if something wasn't right with it. Very similiar to what you described. Like there was something stuck in it.

Anyhow, I went to an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor and he stuck some thing down my throat and said everything was fine. After the exam, my throat felt worse, and I had to laugh at myself, because I was fine, but after leaving the ENT doctor I felt worse for a few days then the feeling went completely away. I told my husband that it was so ironic that I needed to hear that I was okay and in order to that I ended up feeling worse.

Anxiety, it's so fun.

The throat thing has a lot to do with anxiety. But if it continues, I would go get it checked, but wait and see if it eases up first, give it a few days.

Kaytee:-)

Old 04-29-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

What meds are you on? Sometimes the side effects of some meds give you that weird taste & that nausea feeling in your throat! Also, other than reflux have you done a search for hiatal hernia (not sure of the spelling) but my dh gets a feeling like something is caught in his throat, I told him he has hiatal hernia & he won't go to the doctor.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #9

Idgiebay HB User

The only medication I'm taking right now is Xanax.

You know, it could be my sinuses draining, now that I think about it.. I've been feeling a lot of sinus pressure lately.

Closed Thread