It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 05:23 AM   #1

Idgiebay HB User
St. John's Wart and Melatonin?

My regular doctor has me on Xanax and wanted to put me on Zoloft, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. I talked to a psychiatrist, though (I'm not his patient, he's merely a family friend) who seems to be against prescription drugs and suggested I take St. John's Wart and Melatonin for my panic disorder. I was just wondering if anyone else has used these and if they've been any help? Thanks.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #2

geekette:) HB User
Re: St. John's Wart and Melatonin?

Hi Idgiebay,

Have you tried cognitive therapy for your panic disorder and/or have your doctors looked into what may be causing this? The reason I ask is because there are many different reasons/causes for one to have panic disorder or to experience anxiety. There may be chemicals just a little bit off in your body or in my case, I had allergies that went undiagnosed for some time that made me feel anxious, rapid heartbeat and all the other terrible symptoms that made me nervous and panicky. You can do alot with a few little changes, ie your diet and behavior therapy. I have alot of compassion for you because I know how it feels and I just want to let you know that there are ways to help improve your condition. As for St. John's Wort, I was also told to try it. I had a bad reaction that made me feel spaced out and my heart raced so I'm not a big fan of it and neither are many doctors these days. If possible, try the natural approach first. You may see a noticable improvement. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to share with you whatever I know.
God Bless, gg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi, a cheaper generic version of zoloft may be available, if not its very similar to prozac which is available as a cheap generic, xanax always helps also
CBT is always helpful

the psych is unusual, most psychs load you up with about 4 meds, I havent heard any evidence that his combo is effective for panic disorder

the other meds are.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:32 PM   #4

roberta01 HB User

Idgiebay,
Ive tried St. Johns Wort and L-Theanine. St. Johns Wort is good for occasional insomnia and L-Thenine has a sedating effect. It really curbs panic attacks quickly within 30 minutes. There are other homeopatic remedies also . If you go to a reputable health food store and speak with the apothocary they can help with other remedies. Just make sure you buy a good brand that doesn't use animal by-products in the packaging. Almost all the remedies come from plant based products.Hope this helps.roberta

Old 05-21-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

why_did_you HB User

Hi,

Snt Johns Wart I didn't find a lot of use. It was given to me for depression though and not panic attacks but when I had panic attacks it made little difference. It doesn't work for everyone but if you chose to use it, I hope it works for you. ((hugs)). Take care xXx

Closed Thread