It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #1

Rsspro18 HB User
Does anyone take Fluvoxamine/Luvox for Anxiety/Panic or OCD?

Does anyone take Fluvoxamine/Luvox for Anxiety/Panic or OCD?

I'm currently only taking Alprazolam to reduce the anxiety. It works a bit but I still have some Anxiety attacks. Also, it doesn't do much to help the OCD, I'm also doing CBT and ERP. I tried Zoloft for a few days, felt a bit of stomach discomfort but nothing bad, but than decided I didn't want to take an SSRI (this was probably like 6-7 years ago). Since then I tried Luvox for a day, and I also decided I didn't want to go the SSRI route. No real bad feelings, just anxious. I also tried Paxil 2 seperate times for a day, but felt extremley anxious on it. Again, I think it's more my fear of the drugs than the drugs themselves.

I might give the Luvox a try again, considering I didn't feel that bad on that one. Actually, it was the generic, but same drug. The only reason I'm not 100% sold on using Luvox is because it seems to be a drug that doctors and pshyciatrists don't prescribe, instead they favor Paxil, Zoloft, or Celexa. I'm actually very surprised that Luvox/Fluvoxamine is not prescribed often at all. For some reason all the other SSRI drugs are so frequently prescribed, but Fluvoxamine presriptions in the US are very rare. I took a look at the top 200 prescriptions in the US (internet search) and all the SSRI's are in there. Paxil, Zoloft, and Celexa are in the top 10-20. Prozac is right around there as well, Lexapro too, but Luvox/Fluvoxamine isn't even in the top 200 and hasn't been for years. I know it is FDA approved for children with OCD, as well as adults with OCD. So it would seem as safe as the others. Also, the drug seems as effective as the others, perhaps it's because of marketing and patents. Who knows. You always here about the 5 SSRI's, but really it's mostly 4 of them being prescribed. It's surprising that despite years of safe use, Luvox seems to not be prescribed often.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Does anyone take Fluvoxamine/Luvox for Anxiety/Panic or OCD?

I think it's more my fear of the drugs than the drugs themselves.

Hi. Yes, this happens to me too. You are afraid to take the drug for a few reasons. #1. the side effects #2 Are you going to have an anxiety attack from it.

I take an SSRI drug which I find helps a bit, especially at night. Mine is called Fluoxetine which is generic for Serafem and Prozac. Anxiety does alot to us but it will not kill you. Remember that. I need a good workbook for CBT, going to ask my therapist. Can you recommend one also? I'm here for you.

Andrea

Old 06-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #3

Rsspro18 HB User

Exactly right. Those 2 reasons are definitley a huge factor in me not taking them. I do think I can benefit from the SSRI's so I think I'm gonna have to give them a fair chance at some point. So many to choose from.

The Paxil withdrawl stories are leaning me away from that drug, so I'm in the choosing my own SSRI mode. I went to see psychiatrists at 3 different times in the past 7-8 years because I'd been thinking about taking one. The first one choose Zoloft. The second one choose Luvox/Fluvoxamine, and the most recent one choose Paxil CR. Is there any real reason for these choices? Who knows. No disrespect intended to psychiatrists, but I can probably decide as good as most of them. Just read the facts about the different drugs, and make an educated decision. In the end it seems like a bit of a crap shoot though. So which one doesn't seem as important as just trying one.

As far as a CBT/ERP workbook, I would recommend An End to Panic: Breakthrough Techniques for Overcoming Panic Disorder by Elke Zuercher-White. It's a very good basic book, that is set up in a workbook like format. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to rsspro,
luvox is also a SSRI and probably works as well as the rest, it an older one and probably out of patent with a generic available so not promoted anymore
take more alprazolam/xanax with it to reduce any early side effects
a low starting dose, by spliting the tablet for the first week often helps

a largish dose of xanax disolved under the tongue will stop or greatly reduce any panic attack, so always carry a few tableys with you when out

Old 06-04-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsspro18
Exactly right. Those 2 reasons are definitley a huge factor in me not taking them. I do think I can benefit from the SSRI's so I think I'm gonna have to give them a fair chance at some point. So many to choose from.

The Paxil withdrawl stories are leaning me away from that drug, so I'm in the choosing my own SSRI mode. I went to see psychiatrists at 3 different times in the past 7-8 years because I'd been thinking about taking one. The first one choose Zoloft. The second one choose Luvox/Fluvoxamine, and the most recent one choose Paxil CR. Is there any real reason for these choices? Who knows. No disrespect intended to psychiatrists, but I can probably decide as good as most of them. Just read the facts about the different drugs, and make an educated decision. In the end it seems like a bit of a crap shoot though. So which one doesn't seem as important as just trying one.

As far as a CBT/ERP workbook, I would recommend An End to Panic: Breakthrough Techniques for Overcoming Panic Disorder by Elke Zuercher-White. It's a very good basic book, that is set up in a workbook like format. Good luck.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I appreciate it. I'm writing it down and will check it out.

Andrea

Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
to rsspro,
luvox is also a SSRI and probably works as well as the rest, it an older one and probably out of patent with a generic available so not promoted anymore
take more alprazolam/xanax with it to reduce any early side effects
a low starting dose, by spliting the tablet for the first week often helps

a largish dose of xanax disolved under the tongue will stop or greatly reduce any panic attack, so always carry a few tableys with you when out

You seem very intelligent in the anxiety/panic disorders. Do you suffer from this? I really like reading your posts. You have a calm and reasonable answer for most of us.

Thanks
Andrea

Closed Thread