It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 05:25 PM   #1

macc HB User
Xanax withdrawal?

My Doc put me on Xanax 9 months ago for anxiety. I took 1mg XR daily and really didn't taper off. I stopped 10 days ago with the help of a few .25's and I'm feeling light headed all day, everyday. He started me on Paxil 5 days ago, but I'm really feeling weird. I have energy and am not having any other real symptoms besides constipation. But I'm walking around in a daze!

Old 08-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Xanax withdrawal?

your problems are most likely coming from the paxil, get back on the xanax as these valium type meds are good at reducing early antidepressant side effects, your doc should have kept you on the xanax at least until the paxil starts working which can take several weeks

if money is a problem, generic prozac would be as good and lots cheaper

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 06:29 PM   #3

macc HB User

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not sure if its the Paxil, because I actually started it on the 5th day of being off Xanax and I already had this light headedness.

Money isn't the issue, I'm really trying to find the best alternative to Xanax. But then again, I really did well on the Xanax Xr 1.0mg. Why am I switching things up?

Old 08-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
(male)

Sickman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not sure if its the Paxil, because I actually started it on the 5th day of being off Xanax and I already had this light headedness.

Money isn't the issue, I'm really trying to find the best alternative to Xanax. But then again, I really did well on the Xanax Xr 1.0mg. Why am I switching things up?
Dear macc,
hry33 is right. I also think that if you were only taking 1mg of xanax xr a day and doing fine then you had found your answer. You will never in my opinion feel the same effects with paxil. Was it your Doctors idea to switch you or did you just decide that you didn't need meds anymore and then the Doctor gave you paxil?

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 08-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
Veteran

KayT HB User

I agree with Sickman and Hry33,

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I learned that the hard way and started changing medications around. I ended up on Klonopin (which has a similiar effect as Xanax XR) and am doing much better. Xanax XR can be habit forming and when tapering you must do it very very slow in order to avoid withdrawl.

Also, Paxil is a great medication, I took it some time ago for my anxiety, but if the Xanax XR was working at 1mg, I would ask your doctor why he/she is switching you to Paxil. If it is because Xanax can be habit forming or have withdrawal symptoms, then ask your doctor to give you information on Paxil and the withdrawal symptoms that come with it.

Hang in there. You will level out and things will get better. I would ask the doc some serious questions though prior to switching to Paxil.

KayT

Old 08-06-2004, 10:52 PM   #6

macc HB User

Sick,

After being on the Xanax XR for so long we both thought maybe I should try to get off and try something a bit less addictive. He said Paxil would be a good shot, so I went for it. I basically did little if any tapering and started Paxil 5 days after I got off the Xanax. Well after 10 days of hell and a weird feeling where I felt like I had some kind of seizure I went to my Doctor yesterday morning and told him XR 1mg right away. So I got off the Paxil and am back on the XR and feel like a 100 bucks again.

Do you guys think the XR is harder to get off than regular Xanax due to it always being balanced thru your body 24/7.

Right now, I hate to say I have no strength to get off the Xanax. Just happy where I am.

Thanks for the responses, you guys seem like a very caring group.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:54 AM   #7
(male)

Sickman HB User
Smile Re: Xanax withdrawal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc
Sick,

After being on the Xanax XR for so long we both thought maybe I should try to get off and try something a bit less addictive. He said Paxil would be a good shot, so I went for it. I basically did little if any tapering and started Paxil 5 days after I got off the Xanax. Well after 10 days of hell and a weird feeling where I felt like I had some kind of seizure I went to my Doctor yesterday morning and told him XR 1mg right away. So I got off the Paxil and am back on the XR and feel like a 100 bucks again.

Do you guys think the XR is harder to get off than regular Xanax due to it always being balanced thru your body 24/7.

Right now, I hate to say I have no strength to get off the Xanax. Just happy where I am.

Thanks for the responses, you guys seem like a very caring group.
Dear Macc,
In the studies they have found the XR to only last a few hours longer then the regular xanax. Regular xanax about 6-7 hours and XR was something like 9-12 or so. Everyone is different and you are very fortunate that it works for you though out the day and night with one dosage. That was the intent. It would be no different getting off the XR and based on half life the XR would be easier but they are so close it does not matter. You should not worry about addition and your Doctor should be looking at what you respond to also. Addiction is not a concern that you should be concerned with. All mental medications are addicting. Most people respond to benzos negatively because of what they read. A lot of the srri's such as paxil claim no addiction (not habit forming on thier commercials) or minor withdrawal. That is plain bs. Some of the worst problems are with srri's and I have tried enough to vouch for that. Xanax on the other hand goes right to work on the disorder. The rule of thumb is 3mg of xanax for anxiety and 4mg plus for panic attack. You are on a very low dosage for around the clock and I would not give it another thought. Unlike the srri's that effect the liver, xanax leaves the body quickly and the liver enzines acually kill the xanax properties. What ever works for you is what you need to be on and you can't worry about withdrawal or addiction. You can not plan when and if you will go off of a medication because you feel better or have been doing good for a long time. The medication is playing a very large part in that because it is what got you to that point. Forget all of the negative things and look at the positive goal, "Having a life". The only way to go off of a mental medication for good is to not have a condition in the first place. I went from serzone to effexor to celexa and it took xanax at that point, because I was so screwed up, about 6 months to straighten me out. That is when I decided that I was my Doctor as far as medicaton changes and that I was not going to let myself be a test specimen for any Doctor that wanted me to try something new or switch to something else. Stick with the XR
Have a nice day my Friend Macc

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 08-07-2004, 02:35 AM   #8

macc HB User

Thanks Sickman, that was a very encouraging post. I'm on the XR again for the second day and all the withdrawals have gone. I feel normal again and that's all I really care about at the moment. I too have tried a few SSRI's and didn't really get anything good from them. Prozac made me more anxious, Lexapro made me get headaches and feel odd, Wellbutrin got me to quit smoking(good), Paxil I wasn't on long enough, while Xanax XR does the trick.

Thank you

Old 08-07-2004, 03:05 AM   #9

Phil77777 HB User

Macc...we got to do whatever to give us a quality of life......the reason you on these tablets is cause you got anxiety/panic disorder..the tablets are there to help......they are not there for you to worry about them.....if you do that then your going back to square 1!!!!

BUT i can see your point as us folk do worry too much!!!!If only we could snap out of it like non sufferers tell us!!

Old 08-07-2004, 04:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I really can't add anything else...Sickman said it all!

Closed Thread