It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 11:15 AM   #1

Fred1976 HB User
checking symptoms

OK. My DR says I have anxiety. I wonder if it "could" be anything else. I 'll list the symptoms:

Nervous
Shaking on the inside
Intense fear
Fear
feels like I can't breathe, but I can
tight muscles
heart pounds
dizzy
can't seem to focus
seem out of it
obess over diseases
sharp pains
think I'm dying
tight throat

Does not happen all the time. Some days symptoms are worse than others. When I feel good, I really feel good. I'm just wondering if there is anything else it could be. Ive been to DR many times, she checks BP, listens to heart and sends me on my way. Waiting on 2nd set of blood tests. First set indicated nothing abnormal. Any suggestions? Am I crazy? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: checking symptoms

All definately signs of classic anxiety. I know it sucks to hear that, but it is most likely the case. The only other thing I can think of is have you had your thyroid checked? If so, do you know what your levels were?

Just because we suffer from anxiety/stress/panic attacks does not mean there can't be other things wrong with us. However, we freak out about it and I believe that is why we are so quickly brushed aside as anxious. I've watched my father have a heart attack and he didn't have a panic attack, you know? Not even when he came to and found himself in the hospital. If I were to actually be having a heart attack, I would react in a classic anxious/panick attack way. Even if there is something physically wrong with us, we still have to work on our anxious ways in order to better deal with life.

None of that made sense most likely, but the healthier I get the more I understand exactly why doctors are so quick to brush us aside (not that it's ok to do that), but they do it because we ARE anxious. However, anxiety goes hand in hand with many things (like a thyroid imbalance or blood sugar problems). Sorry for the babble.... I really do hope you find some relief. Are you on any meds at the moment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 01:33 PM   #3

Fred1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat
All definately signs of classic anxiety. I know it sucks to hear that, but it is most likely the case. The only other thing I can think of is have you had your thyroid checked? If so, do you know what your levels were?

Just because we suffer from anxiety/stress/panic attacks does not mean there can't be other things wrong with us. However, we freak out about it and I believe that is why we are so quickly brushed aside as anxious. I've watched my father have a heart attack and he didn't have a panic attack, you know? Not even when he came to and found himself in the hospital. If I were to actually be having a heart attack, I would react in a classic anxious/panick attack way. Even if there is something physically wrong with us, we still have to work on our anxious ways in order to better deal with life.

None of that made sense most likely, but the healthier I get the more I understand exactly why doctors are so quick to brush us aside (not that it's ok to do that), but they do it because we ARE anxious. However, anxiety goes hand in hand with many things (like a thyroid imbalance or blood sugar problems). Sorry for the babble.... I really do hope you find some relief. Are you on any meds at the moment?

Thank you for your information. I have had Thyroid check and blood sugar checked when this all began 4 months ago and I'm supposed to be OK. I tak no medication except for 2mg of Valium whenever it gets really bad.(usually at work). I'm really tired of not feeling like my usual self and want to get to the bottom of this. I've posted several times here and everyone has been so friendly like you. It seems like different things occur every week. I am taking a natural B complex vitamin. It's been the 3rd day on that but I don't know if it really helps or not. I wish I could just get over this and get back to myself again.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I really understand that feeling. I was very much there a year ago.

You know, my doctor diagnosed me with anxiety & panic disorder with the aid of xanax. I had been to the ER with my first panic attack and was at his office about a week later. He gave me a very low-dose script of xanax and told me the next time I had an episode to take one and let him know how I felt. When I was able to tell him that it was a life-saver for me and I felt "normal" again after taking it, he told me that my problem was most likely panic. I've remembered that. If the valium/xanax makes you feel better for a bit it's most likely all anxiety. If you really were dying of some dreaded diesase that you could FEEL, the valium would not calm you. Like, if I were having a heart attack or pancreitis or an ear infection, taking a xanax is not going to make those symptoms go away.

I remember you tried zoloft but I can't remember what kind of outcome you had with it. Zoloft really helped me immensly. After being on 25mg for about a month my panic attacks subsided because I wasn't thinking about things obsessively. The Zoloft seemed to slow down my brains overanalyzing powers & allowed me to not worry so much. I only stayed on the Zoloft for a couple of months but they were great months. Once I went off, I just kept telling myself that I was fine while I was on the Zoloft and I was still fine. For me a lot of it has been tricking my brain into believeing that I'm fine (as you can see I did with the xanax and the zoloft) until I believed it. I am fine... your fine. We are ok!! You have got to keep telling yourself that. Everybody craves extra air sometimes, everybody's heart beat speeds up occasionally, everybody get's a momentary dizzy spell that passes from time to time and everybody gets odd pains out of nowhere. We are, in fact, very human & our bodies are not engineered to run perfectly like a well-oiled machine - they are engineered to adapt to their surroundings.

If you can, get a copy of the lab report that showed your thyroid levels, or ask your doctor what they were and post them (i've got thyroid problems myself). Sometimes people can suffer symptoms from a borderline thyroid problem. Thyroid problems mostly manifest themselves in symptoms. However, if your doc says your ok, you most likely are, but it still wouldn't hurt to post them. Take care of yourself!

Old 08-18-2004, 05:40 AM   #5

Fred1976 HB User

Quote:
I really understand that feeling. I was very much there a year ago.

You know, my doctor diagnosed me with anxiety & panic disorder with the aid of xanax. I had been to the ER with my first panic attack and was at his office about a week later. He gave me a very low-dose script of xanax and told me the next time I had an episode to take one and let him know how I felt. When I was able to tell him that it was a life-saver for me and I felt "normal" again after taking it, he told me that my problem was most likely panic. I've remembered that. If the valium/xanax makes you feel better for a bit it's most likely all anxiety. If you really were dying of some dreaded diesase that you could FEEL, the valium would not calm you. Like, if I were having a heart attack or pancreitis or an ear infection, taking a xanax is not going to make those symptoms go away.

I remember you tried zoloft but I can't remember what kind of outcome you had with it. Zoloft really helped me immensly. After being on 25mg for about a month my panic attacks subsided because I wasn't thinking about things obsessively. The Zoloft seemed to slow down my brains overanalyzing powers & allowed me to not worry so much. I only stayed on the Zoloft for a couple of months but they were great months. Once I went off, I just kept telling myself that I was fine while I was on the Zoloft and I was still fine. For me a lot of it has been tricking my brain into believeing that I'm fine (as you can see I did with the xanax and the zoloft) until I believed it. I am fine... your fine. We are ok!! You have got to keep telling yourself that. Everybody craves extra air sometimes, everybody's heart beat speeds up occasionally, everybody get's a momentary dizzy spell that passes from time to time and everybody gets odd pains out of nowhere. We are, in fact, very human & our bodies are not engineered to run perfectly like a well-oiled machine - they are engineered to adapt to their surroundings.

If you can, get a copy of the lab report that showed your thyroid levels, or ask your doctor what they were and post them (i've got thyroid problems myself). Sometimes people can suffer symptoms from a borderline thyroid problem. Thyroid problems mostly manifest themselves in symptoms. However, if your doc says your ok, you most likely are, but it still wouldn't hurt to post them. Take care of yourself!
Thanks a lot. I will see if I can get those labs and post. I went to the lab on Saturday so I suppose she has the results by now. The Zoloft didn't really work for me. I was on it for about a week and the anxiety got really, really bad. So I'm on no medication. I was tokd about another drug that helped your from thinking irrational thought, but I forgot it's name. It started with a "S", sofinile or somthing like that. Ever heard of it?

Old 08-18-2004, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Never heard of it... the only other S one I can think of is Serzone.

Do you think you gave the Zoloft a fair shake? A week isn't very long and there is definately a time period where the anxiety does increase. I had a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE first experience with Lexapro and Zoloft was my 2nd. I was terrified to start taking the Zoloft after taking the Lexapro, but after a couple of weeks I finally bit the bullet. I experience increased anxiety (about a week or two so I kept the xanax handy), decreased appetite (about a week or so also), and insomnia (about two or three days) but I stuck with it and at about 4 weeks I really started to notice a difference. I think after my Lexapro fiasco I was thankful for the side-effects the Zoloft gave me. I dunno, we are all so different it's just down right impossible to give real good advise on SSRI's, ya know?

What are your thoughts going forward? Are you wanting to try a new SSRI, an increased dose of Valium or therapy?

Also -- in my last post I had mentioned my whole "brain trick" when I took a xanax. Do you feel releif when you take your valium or do your symptoms persist?

Old 08-18-2004, 07:30 AM   #7

Fred1976 HB User

Quote:
Never heard of it... the only other S one I can think of is Serzone.

Do you think you gave the Zoloft a fair shake? A week isn't very long and there is definately a time period where the anxiety does increase. I had a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE first experience with Lexapro and Zoloft was my 2nd. I was terrified to start taking the Zoloft after taking the Lexapro, but after a couple of weeks I finally bit the bullet. I experience increased anxiety (about a week or two so I kept the xanax handy), decreased appetite (about a week or so also), and insomnia (about two or three days) but I stuck with it and at about 4 weeks I really started to notice a difference. I think after my Lexapro fiasco I was thankful for the side-effects the Zoloft gave me. I dunno, we are all so different it's just down right impossible to give real good advise on SSRI's, ya know?

What are your thoughts going forward? Are you wanting to try a new SSRI, an increased dose of Valium or therapy?

Also -- in my last post I had mentioned my whole "brain trick" when I took a xanax. Do you feel releif when you take your valium or do your symptoms persist?
I just met with a psych yesterday. It seems like she's telling me things I already know. Too much stress, try to relax etc. I really do not want to take any medications if possible. I've had a couple of episodes where I took a valium and it seemed to help out. It's only a 2mg dosage so is isn't much. Seemed like the last time I took one I relaxed a little but was still a little anxious. I don't know where to go from here.

I don't understand why this hit all at once. I have never had any problems at all for 28 years and now this hits. It really sucks.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:09 PM   #8

free from panic HB User

Hi Fred, when I look back at my own experience and analyzed all the triggers, etc. I really had wished I could have just taken a month off of work and chilled out, preferably sitting on a beach somewhere. You mentioned you seem to get panic attacks at work, that is very significant as for what ever reason, work is
a major stressor. I don't know if it's the job you do, or if you
have a real bad boss who screams and yells and supervises
through intimidation, etc. but if you can possibly take some
time off of work and allow your self to become stress free,
I really think it would make a world of difference for you in
getting a handle on your panic attacks. Hindsight is 20-20
and like I said, I really wished in the beginning of my panic
attacks, I could have taken a solid month off work.

Old 08-19-2004, 05:49 AM   #9

Fred1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by free from panic
Hi Fred, when I look back at my own experience and analyzed all the triggers, etc. I really had wished I could have just taken a month off of work and chilled out, preferably sitting on a beach somewhere. You mentioned you seem to get panic attacks at work, that is very significant as for what ever reason, work is
a major stressor. I don't know if it's the job you do, or if you
have a real bad boss who screams and yells and supervises
through intimidation, etc. but if you can possibly take some
time off of work and allow your self to become stress free,
I really think it would make a world of difference for you in
getting a handle on your panic attacks. Hindsight is 20-20
and like I said, I really wished in the beginning of my panic
attacks, I could have taken a solid month off work.

You know I believe my job has a lot to do with it. It involves a lot of contact with the general public via telephone and e-mail. About 3,000 contacts per month. Most of these people are idiots and a very few actually need technical help. It's been about 3 years of this. I get really anxious on the drive to work. Somedays I get anxious at work, somedays I don't. I may have an attack at work, or just worry about having one.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

That is a very good point ---

My panic/anxiety GREATLY improved when I switched jobs. I had a lot of things going on at once, so I don't really know what EXACTLY caused my problems to subside, but a mix of xanax, zoloft, getting my thyroid squred away & switching jobs seems to be what helped. To be honest, my very first panic attack happened at work and probably 70% of them occured there.

I had a terrible boss and worked with 5 other girls in a small office space. My boss was a moron & I really, really had a tough time with her. I am a very hard, proud worker & she made things very difficult for me because her expectations were as clear as mud. It's strange, because I've been panic free for quiet a few months now, but two weeks ago I went to pick one of my old co-workers up from work (she's a very good friend) and I started getting shaky & flush waiting on the elevator. Once I got on the elevator to go up and meet her I had to bend over and take several deep breaths and count to 10. I had NO IDEA that place affected me as much as it did!!!! I did not have a panic attack that day but it was the closest I had been in quiet some time.

It's definately worth looking at. If you could take a couple of weeks off and see if you feel better maybe it's worth trying to make a switch.

(On a side note, there were other subtle things that affected me while working there -- like the immense amount of flourescent lighting. I didn't have any natural sunlight where I sat and that REALLY, really bothered me and made me feel strange sometimes)

Old 08-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #11

Fred1976 HB User

I took a lot of time off for vacation but we moved into a new home so I really didn't get to relax. Most of my anxiety is at work. During the weekends I have anxiety as well, but I can find other stuff to do to keep me busy and it's not that bad at all.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #12

free from panic HB User

Fred, this speaks volumes!

Quote:
I get really anxious on the drive to work. Somedays I get anxious at work, somedays I don't. I may have an attack at work, or just worry about having one.
You said you took time off of work but didn't have time to relax. You also mentioned you sometimes have panic attacks outside of work. Once you get panic attacks, it makes no sense what sets you off, when or where. You just start getting them in places and situations that you *shouldn't*. I would make some serious changes and update your resume and see if you can change jobs. If taking a lower pay job that doesn't have the stress or the idiots, be it customers or your supervisor(s), it is definitely worth it. No job is worth health problems.

Zekat, wow! That is quite a representation of what your old
job was doing to you! Those flourescent lites are awful! Glad you
got a better job.

Closed Thread