It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #1

dizzygirl916 HB User
Worst thing ever is happening

My husband just got called to the Army, he has eben inactive for years and now they are calling him to go to Iraq. Suffering from panick attaks like I do, It is destroying me. I don't know what to do with myself!!! I am going to go even more crazy.
I have been in CBT for months now and am really getting well, then BAM!, now this, and now back to my old ways.

I am going to lose my mind without my husband.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #2

free from panic HB User
Re: Worst thing ever is happening

dizzygirl, my heart goes out to you! I've been hearing on the news about those letters and a couple weeks later those that got called up on the IRR are doing found out it was an error and they don't have to go back in. Some are even consulting with lawyers.

Please look into all the options to keep your husband home, I'm sure it came as quite a shock to him also. It's normal to have panic attacks when austere circumstances arise. Do you have family and friends close by to where you live?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #3

dizzygirl916 HB User

We consulted our senator and he is working on it. My husbands company says that they will hire a lawyer if it comes down to that. I can't think straight, it is on my mind constantly. All of my family and friends are close, but with panic attacks, my husband is what i need the most.

Tahnks for your response, please say a prayer for us.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzygirl916
My husband just got called to the Army, he has eben inactive for years and now they are calling him to go to Iraq. Suffering from panick attaks like I do, It is destroying me. I don't know what to do with myself!!! I am going to go even more crazy.
I have been in CBT for months now and am really getting well, then BAM!, now this, and now back to my old ways.

I am going to lose my mind without my husband.
I feel for you dizzy Hang in there and keep using your CBT tools as much as you can. It can be a real challenge at a time like this but if you work at they will help. I have copied a reply I just sent to Immortal who is also having a major step nback in his progress below. Take care and I hope this is helpful

I'm sorry to hear you are having a major step back immortal I know you were having some really good success with CBT not long ago. In my experience you have to keep using the tools even when you feel good or you will have steps back like this. To make matters worse once the steps back happen they tend to spiral out of control and we fall into the old habits we have. The basis of CBT is realizing the physical symptoms aren't dangerous and come from inaccurate thoughts we are having, so as soon as we go to the ER etc we are subconsciously falling into the trap of telling ourselves the symptoms are dangerous and this makes everything worse.
If I were yuo I would try and get some help from a CBT therapist because you have already had some impressive success with it and a good CBT therapist or CBT group could help you take it to a new level. I hope this helps and you feel ,better again soon

Old 08-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #5

free from panic HB User

dizzygirl, since I read your thread, I've been hoping something positive will happen so your husband will remain home. I know how husbands are "our rock", they give us strength, we can lean on them and never do they let us fall. I'm glad you have family close and also friends. Keep pestering the senator, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and if you keep sending letters, emails, faxes and phone calls, they will deal with you faster then if you just sit back and wait for them to call you which could take months and sometimes they never call or write back, so keep a high profile going on this.

Prayer sent for you and your husband.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #6

dizzygirl916 HB User

Thank you for your responses. My husband applied for discharge about 3 months ago before he was called, and they are looking into that. I am praying hard that he will not have to leave, but I told my CBT therapist today that if he doesn't go, I will be scared that something else will happen, almost like carma for him not going. Does that make sense? I always analyze everything though, maybe everything will be ok. I just question sometimes why God left me get so much better and be able to lead a normal life and now this. It is like taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. I have faith that I will get well again since I did before, my therapist said these set backs are part of getting well again. You can never expect everything to go great and have to be prepared to face more challenges in your life, I just wasn't prepared for one this soon. And this is probably the biggest challenge of my life so far. Maybe God wanted to wait until I was stronger so he know I could handle it. My mom always says that God will never throw something at you that he knows you can't handle.

Faith is the only thing that will get me through this.
I will keep you all posted about my husband, I just ask that everyone says a prayer for us.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hello former dizzy, I can't imaging how you feel right now. You must remain positive. I just found out that my stepmother has breast cancer, and like you, I am back to square one. I have found though, staying busy, and becoming involved has made a big difference in my panic. I know that this sounds stupid, but I volunteered at Petco, to clean and take care of the kitties that need adoption. I has really given me something to think about and enjoy.
My cousin is over in Fallusha(wrong spelling), and I can't tell you how proud I am of all of our troops. Your husband is a hero of this country.

Carrie

Old 09-07-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Diz916-
I hope you are doing better
Hang in there

Closed Thread