It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 02:28 AM   #1

Scaredcrapless HB User
Question Head Feeling Extremely Weird

For the past 6 years or so i've been experiencing really weird symptoms like feeling "out of it." I just felt like there was this mask over my face and i just wanted to rip it off. I believe it all started after i smoke some pot but whatever. Anyway for the past month or so i've been getting really bad. I went to the ER in bermuda on a vacation cause i thought i was having a seizure. The week before i went away i started to notice the veins near my temples were really big and throbbing alot and pulsating. Recently i noticed that the vein or artery behind my left ear is very swollen. I had an MRI and EEG and both came back normal. I got hit with a baseball in the collar bone about a month ago so i'm thinking maybe it cause nerve damage or like i have a sinus problem or something. The feelings and symptoms i have basically are lightheadness, a feeling of sort of pressure and tingling in my head, tingling in my forehead when i sort of like let go, tingling in my arms and legs, burning in my arms and legs and things like this. I don't know if its anxiety but i'm on effexor xr 75 mg for it right now. Someone plesae write back and tell me if this is all anxiety and panic attacks. Thanks alot

Scaredcrapless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Head Feeling Extremely Weird

it sounds a lot like derealization/depersonalization. This is caused by anxiety. When my suffering was at it's height, my derealization was almost constant. I often felt that I was in a glass box -- looking out on the world and not actually experiencing it. I would touch my hands and they looked weird and dead. Nothing felt real, nothing looked right and my whole perspective was skewed. It's unfortunate that the only way I found to make it go away was to not think about it. It really feeds on itself. I worried CONSTANTLY about health problems and I think my brain went into this mode in order to protect itself from the overload of stress I was giving it. Flourescent lighting almost ALWAYS seemed to make it worse.

THe burning and tingling you describe -- have you had it for 6 years, or just the out of it feeling for 6 years?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #3

Scaredcrapless HB User

The burning and tingling started pretty recently seemingly right after i got hit with the ball in the collar bone. The out of it feeling i've had for 6 years or so since i was 12 or 13. Please help thanks.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

one more question

when did you start the effexor?

Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #5

Scaredcrapless HB User

i started taking it maybe 3 weeks ago. i noticed lately that my stool is bright green as well???

Old 08-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #6

Scaredcrapless HB User

anyone else have any replies??? i also have like a feeling of almost my left eyebrow getting stuck in one position. its weird.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

my thoughts are that the effexor is temporarily making your anxiety worse. This is very common. The tingling feelings in your body are not uncommon when starting a new SSRI & I bet that is what's causing the tingling sensations. It typically takes 4 - 6 weeks for the meds to work & it can sometimes take that long for the start-up side effects to lessen. I have been on couple of different meds for anxiety and one of them I took made my arms and legs tingle a lot.

Are you feeling any better after starting the effexor?

Old 08-31-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I'm going to add some more to my previous post.

In your first post, what you were describing sounds a lot like derealization/depersonalization. Maybe you could do some searches on the internet and see if it fits how you are feeling. THe good thing about dr/dp is that it cannont hurt you and it does go away!

You probably have not suffered any long-term effects from being hit by a softball in your collarbone, but if you are not convinced, you may want to see your doctor. When you repost, please let me know if you think your symptoms sound like depersonalization/derealization and also let me know how you are feeling on the effexor.

Your going to be ok. Just keep your chin up!

Old 09-01-2004, 10:47 PM   #9

Scaredcrapless HB User

Yeh i've read about derealization and deperonalization so i think it could be something like that. But with the tingling it seemed to have started after i got hit with the softball which was actually before i started taking the effexor. I think the effexor may be helping with the anxiety a little though but the tingling just seems to sort of be getting worse
like my hand i can feel about to go numb or something.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:52 PM   #10

Scaredcrapless HB User

Last night while about to fall asleep i started falling asleep and my head all of the sudden like spasm'd sort of and popped up. It was a very scary feeling and i couldn't go to sleep cause i thought i was gonna die. My vein in my forehead was very big the whole night where if i stretched my skin you could actually see it. Then this morning i woke up and my arms were in a constant tingle for hours. It was really weird and yesterday when i was playing basketball i actually felt that same tingle on my feet and legs which reminds me alot of when a spiderweb gets on you. I also have a constant tingling in about an inch of the top of my head to the left. I don't know what any of this could be and if it could be anxiety related. Maybe a pinched nerve??? Neck tumor??? Spinal Tumor??? Please answer ASAP. Thanks bye

Old 09-07-2004, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

You might want to post a new thread. You would probably get more replys.

If I were you, I would go to my doctor. NOT because I think you have anything terribly wrong with you, but because you are terribly anxious. You REALLY, REALLY need to talk to your doctor and maybe have him prescribe you xanax for when it gets really bad (like last night). You may also benefit from CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy). However, just because you have anxiety does not mean there can't be something else wrong with you. The thing is people who don't have anxiety don't freak out that they are going to die like we do -- that's how we know anxiety causes a lot of our problems.

IMHO - I think your having side-effects from the effexor and would benefit from a different SSRI -- Lexapro or Zoloft maybe.

Closed Thread