It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #1

KindaMessedUp HB User
No More Paxil

I know I know I've been back and fourth about this Paxil since I started visiting this board 2 weeks ago. Actually, that's why I visited here in the first place. To get advice on the Paxil. And today is the 12th day, and I think it will be my last. For a few reasons.

I have been searching for 12 days on the internet for success stories about people taking paxil, and I am having a hard time finding one. Even if it helped there were so many side effects.

I just visited a message board where people were complaining about the side effects. I was thinking I was feeling nervous and tired because of the move, which is part of it. But I'm figuring out a lot of these feelings may be side effects, and right now while buying this house I can't deal with the anxiety from the move, and the side effects. Right now the side effects that I'm reading about, and feeling are a floating dizziness, shakes, feeling really foggy, dull headache, always tired (I haven't been to the gym or a bike ride since I started it) no motivation, tired ALL the time, (I'm turning into a couch potato) And the worst thingI am dealing with is I'm so exhausted and I can't sleep. Then I wake up instantly about 5 AM, and I'm anxious as hell. 2 hours before I need to. Oh, and I can't concentrate at work. And my eyes burn.

I was ignoring a lot of this, and just passing it off, and I finally think before I take it any longer I should stop. I don't THINK after 12 days of taking 10 mg I should not have to worry about side effects. But I'm a little

AGAIN, any advice would be helpful. As you can tell, I'm having a hell of a time.

Oh, have a great weekend everyone

Last edited by KindaMessedUp; 09-03-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User
Re: No More Paxil

Hey man, I know how frustrating it can be to start a med that is supposed to help you and all it does is make things worse. It really shook my confidence in SSRIs for anxiety. I was on lexapro and it made things ten times worse for me for about eight days. I also couldnt sleep and I got wierd bouts of energy followed by tiredness. I wanted to stick it out but I just couldnt see the light at the end of the tunnel. I mean what if it takes four weeks for those side effects to go away?? Then what if they dont go away after that and I have withdrawal symptoms?? Well there are a lot of SSRIs out there so if one doesnt work you can always try another. Im actually going to try paxil cr after lexapro. Everyone is effected differently by them. Who knows, maybe lexapro will work for you and paxil for me. Also I stopped cold turkey from 10mg lexapro without withdrawal symptoms, as reccomended by my doc.

Last edited by tooanxious; 09-03-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

anxiety sufferers often have problems with the early side effects of these antidepressant meds, some docs and psychs dont know this sadly, some know but ignore it

if going thru an anxious or stressful period its best to rely on valium type meds and maybe start the antidepressant later when things are more calm, IMO

huge amounts of money are spent advertising antidepressants to docs as the magic cure for anxiety, with a similar campaign wrongly claiming valium type meds to be addictive, to stop their use as an alternative

Old 09-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

As a follow up hry33. It really shows you how little these docs know about anxiety. If your going thru a crisis and have severe anxiety then an SSRI is not the first line of treatment. Xanax or similar med should be prescribed. Im not knocking SSRIs becuase they are more of a long term cure not short term. So its best to start them when things arent in a crises point becuase they might only make things worse while going thru the initial side effects. Plus you wont know weather its the SSRIs or the crisis that is making you anxious. Very confusing stuff and docs really dont know enough about it.

Last edited by tooanxious; 09-03-2004 at 05:15 PM.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaMessedUp
I know I know I've been back and fourth about this Paxil since I started visiting this board 2 weeks ago. Actually, that's why I visited here in the first place. To get advice on the Paxil. And today is the 12th day, and I think it will be my last. For a few reasons.

I have been searching for 12 days on the internet for success stories about people taking paxil, and I am having a hard time finding one. Even if it helped there were so many side effects.

I just visited a message board where people were complaining about the side effects. I was thinking I was feeling nervous and tired because of the move, which is part of it. But I'm figuring out a lot of these feelings may be side effects, and right now while buying this house I can't deal with the anxiety from the move, and the side effects. Right now the side effects that I'm reading about, and feeling are a floating dizziness, shakes, feeling really foggy, dull headache, always tired (I haven't been to the gym or a bike ride since I started it) no motivation, tired ALL the time, (I'm turning into a couch potato) And the worst thingI am dealing with is I'm so exhausted and I can't sleep. Then I wake up instantly about 5 AM, and I'm anxious as hell. 2 hours before I need to. Oh, and I can't concentrate at work. And my eyes burn.

I was ignoring a lot of this, and just passing it off, and I finally think before I take it any longer I should stop. I don't THINK after 12 days of taking 10 mg I should not have to worry about side effects. But I'm a little

AGAIN, any advice would be helpful. As you can tell, I'm having a hell of a time.

Oh, have a great weekend everyone
I had to respond and tell you that I take the 12.5 Paxil CR and I do not have the side effects like I did on just the 10 mg. Also it helps MUCH better with the anxiety. Maybe ask for that and try it, I noticed a BIG difference on the first night I took it. Let me know if you try it! Hang in there as you are almost past the 2 week point.

BYRDLEG

Old 09-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

las7715 HB User

Also, keep in mind that antidepressants can take up to four weeks or longer before they start to make you feel better. It took about 4 weeks for the Paxil to take effect for me when I recently got back on it. You said you've only been taking it 12 days - also, maybe you need a larger dose? I take 15mg daily. I say give it more time only because Paxil has worked so well for me. You can count me as somebody who gives Paxil a thumbs up.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #7

KindaMessedUp HB User

Another update my friends. I want to keep you posted because I feel the need to share my experience with Paxil, so Everyone is aware of some things that may happen while on it. I know itís different for everyone, and in most cases you have to try it yourself. But I still would like to share my experience.

To start where I left off, after 12 days I couldnít take it anymore. Byrdleg, thanks for the advice. I tried to hang in there, but I could not. I knew starting the Paxil at the same time I was selling/buying a house would be difficult, but I kept thinking to myself ĎI canít be this much of a wreck because of this houseí. And sure enough it wasnít just the house. It was the Paxil. Friday morning was the last one I took. Saturday about 2 PM I had my first panic attack in a year. I hadnít had a full blown panic attack since the Zoloft experience. Every day that I was on the Paxil, for 12 days straight I would wake up between 4-5 AM, and be so anxious I could not fall back to sleep, and I was so exhausted but I couldnít fall asleep. Just laid there freaked out. I also lost 7 pounds in 12 days, because I had such a nervous stomach I could not eat. No energy, no interest in anything, didnít want to play with my daughter, couldnít eat, Ect. Ect. After 1 day of not taking Paxil, I was back to normal, and actually feeling pretty darn good.

Next I am thinking about asking my doctor what he thinks about me trying Xanax.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

I'm glad you're feeling better. I take Paxil CR 12.5mg and didn't have any side effects at all. I felt better within a week. Been on it for a year and plan to wean off of it eventually. Everyone reacts differently to meds. I was taking Ativan for anxiety but found that it is very addicting and not for long-term use. I think you have to just find what works for you. Good luck!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaMessedUp

Another update my friends. I want to keep you posted because I feel the need to share my experience with Paxil, so Everyone is aware of some things that may happen while on it. I know itís different for everyone, and in most cases you have to try it yourself. But I still would like to share my experience.

To start where I left off, after 12 days I couldnít take it anymore. Byrdleg, thanks for the advice. I tried to hang in there, but I could not. I knew starting the Paxil at the same time I was selling/buying a house would be difficult, but I kept thinking to myself ĎI canít be this much of a wreck because of this houseí. And sure enough it wasnít just the house. It was the Paxil. Friday morning was the last one I took. Saturday about 2 PM I had my first panic attack in a year. I hadnít had a full blown panic attack since the Zoloft experience. Every day that I was on the Paxil, for 12 days straight I would wake up between 4-5 AM, and be so anxious I could not fall back to sleep, and I was so exhausted but I couldnít fall asleep. Just laid there freaked out. I also lost 7 pounds in 12 days, because I had such a nervous stomach I could not eat. No energy, no interest in anything, didnít want to play with my daughter, couldnít eat, Ect. Ect. After 1 day of not taking Paxil, I was back to normal, and actually feeling pretty darn good.

Next I am thinking about asking my doctor what he thinks about me trying Xanax.

Last edited by molly123; 09-07-2004 at 02:36 PM.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

hey molly123, just saw you on the menopause board. How are you? I take Prozac and have been since the end of May. I started with 5mg, then 10mg. now I'm at 15mg. to go up to 20mg. I guess it works a bit but I still feel anxious at times.

Andrea

Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #10

SkrewedUp88 HB User

Ive been on paxil25mg for about a year now and i gotta say it has helped me alot. I havent had a panic attack since i started taking it. The only side effect that seems to bother me is i do i have a lack of energy sometimes, i dont feel like doing anything. besides that i give it up thumbs up too!

Old 09-08-2004, 11:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
hey molly123, just saw you on the menopause board. How are you? I take Prozac and have been since the end of May. I started with 5mg, then 10mg. now I'm at 15mg. to go up to 20mg. I guess it works a bit but I still feel anxious at times.

Andrea
Hey Andrea,
Guess it doesn't surprise me that you're here too. Hey, just a thought....do you ever think you should try something else, especially since you keep upping your dosage and still feeling anxious? I know it is scary to change b/c of the possible side effects but maybe the Prozac is not quite for you and is making you anxious.

See you on the meno board!
Take care,
molly123

Closed Thread