It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
panic attacks and holding your breath

most people suggest that you keep breathing deep and slow when having a panic attack but it can help to hold your breath when suddenly hit by a panic attack

hold your breath for as long as it feels comfortable and then breathe deep and slow, I did this with my panic attacks and it helped me, I dont know why, but it did

Old 09-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: panic attacks and holding your breath

Hi,

Yes, it does help. It keeps in the carbon dioxide which helps in slowing down the breathing. The fast breathing increases oxygen which leads to hyperventilation....and that can cause faster heart rate, light headedness, headache, numbness of extremities..etc which gives the sensation to some panic suffers that they are having a stroke or heart attack.

The physical sensations are what people notice first -- although it's the thoughts that are actually creating the anxiety. They focus on that and the fearful thoughts are what help continue and escalate the anxiety and panic, etc.

Yes, when I get the VERY first flutter or sensations of anxiety I take in a very slow breath and hold it until the anxiety sensations stop.
I don't even care what thoughts I was having because it doesn't matter anymore....I can stop an anxiety attack in under half a minute and that's fine with me.

It's an intervention that's successful for sure.

Glad it worked for you.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread