It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 07:01 PM   #1

akahoneypotqt HB User
costal chondritis?? heart attack! yikes!

Hi all, I am asking this question of any other anxiety/panic disorder sufferers. Do you know what costal chondritis is? As far as i understand it's inflammation in the joints in your sternum. which means you get sharp stabbing pains in your sternum area that are inflamed from moving, twisting, lifting, or just plain breathing!. I wanted to know if anybody else had had this and what you've done to help yourself? Thanks!!

I have posted this perviously, and haven't gotten any recent responses. I keep getting this darn pain! upper chest breast bone area.. Rub, rub, rub.. owie!.. Any ideas?

Old 09-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #2

SkrewedUp88 HB User
Re: costal chondritis?? heart attack! yikes!

Ive never heard about it, but i always have pains in my sternum area, ive been through ekgs, stress tests, and whatever else with no answer to the problem. Im on paxil now so the panic attacks have gone away but i still have the pains in my chest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

Rsmy59 HB User

I have had costochondritis on and off since July 2003. I've suffered with panic disorder for over 20 years and it seems that you get one set of symptoms that may eventually go away only to be replaced with another set. My set of symptoms right now are particularly intolerable. In any event, the only thing that has helped me with the costochondritis (which is actually inflammation of the tendons in the rib cage surrounding the sternum) is to use Bengay and a heating pad. Look it up on ***** or another medical site and it can explain it in more detail. Like most illnesses associated with panic disorder, it's also benign but reading about it may put your mind at ease.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

I think this may be what I have also. I've had a very tender area around there and when I had it checked out, I nearly jumped to the ceiling when the doctor touched that area. It is very, very tender. I've been having this now for a few years and I do the same thing you do. I rub muscle cream and use a heating pad. I think I cause it to act up when I twist to crack my back I guess I need to stop doing that. Anyway, thank for the info

Chantel

Closed Thread