It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #1

NicoleMiller999 HB User
Is It Me????????

I suffer from Panic attacks but over the years it has gotten better. I refused to take the drugs. I breathe a lot and try to clam myself cause now I know when they are coming. I feel my muscles tightening up and then the sense of doom follows. My Question is, has anyone ever had a Panic attack triggered by foods? I can't anything form the Chinese restaurant anymore cause no more than a half an hour later, BAM!! I get all those Panic feelings and when it is all over, I am wiped out exhausted and shaking. Are there such things as "Panic Triggers"?

Old 09-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Is It Me????????

this may have no bearing, but I know my sister can't eat Chinese food except from certain places (mostly the $$$ places) because they use MSG and it triggers TERRIBLE migraines for her. I'm sure if MSG can trigger a migraine it can trigger a panic attack. There are also a couple of other food places that use MSG (pretty much any kind of buffet or anywhere that the food will be sitting out prior to being eaten). I dunno -- just my two cents

I just went and looked on the net and found that some people have adverse reactions to MSG (Monosodium glutamate) and that it is a flavor enhancer, and, when consumed in large amounts, can cause flushing, sensations of warmth, headache, facial pressure, chest pain, or feelings of detachment in some people. These transient reactions occur rapidly after eating large amounts of food to which MSG has been added.

Last edited by zekat; 09-08-2004 at 12:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 01:00 PM   #3

NicoleMiller999 HB User

Hey thanks Zekat!!! So when they say no MSG they are not telling the truth then! I thought that might be the case so I only at the ones that said no MSG. I love Egg Foo Young, my absolute favorite but I cna't eat it. Now that you mention the MSG thing I remeber getting that way after I had some gravy and that had Gravy Master in it which has MSG. There must be tons of foods out there with that in it. Guess I better do some research myself. Thanks again

Old 09-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #4

Theacat HB User

I have panic attacks for all sorts of reasons - some foods affect me, but also certain situations and emotional triggers. I do find I get them after eating/drinking certain additives - especially aspartame, the preservative E111 (think it might be Sodium Benzoate - if not, that also makes me anxious!). So I can't drink most soft drinks.

I don't get it from MSG, but I know people who do. I do, however, feel peculiar after eating MSG.

Also caffeine is a big no-no - I feel absolutely dreadful after drinking coke or coffee.

My mum and sister don't have panic attacks - but do also have problems with all of the above. I wonder if sensitivity can run in the family.

Closed Thread