It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 05:26 AM   #1

Phil77777 HB User
Wont take Xanax anymore

What i thought was good...is i beleive bad for you.........i been experimenting with like 1/2 a .25 tablet and it made be feel okish...certainly no anxiety...but make me feel odd........i thought i know i will try half of a half of .25.......and the reaction was shocking it made me go so heavy,i was restless nervous,felt worse than ever...why..i do not though Put it this way i feel better off it than on the last dose!!!!I have had NO appetite for dinner,very restless sleeping.

So going back to alcohol.....bottle of wine a night give me a great apetite made me feel alive and sent me to sleep...i am just gonna put up with the dytime effects and just take a swig of whiskey when i panic as i know this deffo works.

I beleive alcohol as long as you dont really abuse it is far safer than these Benzo's etc.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:50 AM   #2

Ammy HB User
Re: Wont take Xanax anymore

Phil...

A "bottle of wine a night" IS abusing alcohol!

And, did you know.... that not having ENOUGH of a drug in your system will sometimes give you worse side effects than having the CORRECT amount?

What do you mean by making you feel "odd"? Xanax is a benzo... therefore some of the side effects can be: Drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, etc.

Guess what else gives you those same side effects? Alcohol. LOL

Self-medicating with a bottle of wine a night could just land you in worse shape than the Xanax ever thought about doing... please think about what you're contemplating doing to yourself...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I took Xanax for years and never felt any of things you said you're feeling, it was the only thing that helped me...but like I always say what works for one doesn't work for all.

As for the alcohol, I won't even go there.
All I will say is IMO drinking a bottle of wine a night, to deal with anxiety or panic, is probably the worst thing you can do.
In the long run it won't make things better, it'll only make them worse.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil77777
What i thought was good...is i beleive bad for you.........i been experimenting with like 1/2 a .25 tablet and it made be feel okish...certainly no anxiety...but make me feel odd........i thought i know i will try half of a half of .25.......and the reaction was shocking it made me go so heavy,i was restless nervous,felt worse than ever...why..i do not though Put it this way i feel better off it than on the last dose!!!!I have had NO appetite for dinner,very restless sleeping.

So going back to alcohol.....bottle of wine a night give me a great apetite made me feel alive and sent me to sleep...i am just gonna put up with the dytime effects and just take a swig of whiskey when i panic as i know this deffo works.

I beleive alcohol as long as you dont really abuse it is far safer than these Benzo's etc.
Why don't you try Buspar instead since Xanax is too heavy for you, maybe you don't need a heavy benzo.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat
I took Xanax for years and never felt any of things you said you're feeling, it was the only thing that helped me...but like I always say what works for one doesn't work for all.

As for the alcohol, I won't even go there.
All I will say is IMO drinking a bottle of wine a night, to deal with anxiety or panic, is probably the worst thing you can do.
In the long run it won't make things better, it'll only make them worse.
I so agree with you, Graciecat. And the wine is probably bringing on more side effects and heaviness with Xanax. It simply says on the bottle and in the R/X direction, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL!

Old 09-10-2004, 07:02 AM   #6

redherring HB User

hmmm, I just came back from a stint in detox because I too was self medicating every night with *wine*. You may feel good in the beginning, but trust me your panic attacks and anxiety will become worse over time! You will need more and more alcohol to quell the anxiety. It's a horrible catch 22 that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redherring
hmmm, I just came back from a stint in detox because I too was self medicating every night with *wine*. You may feel good in the beginning, but trust me your panic attacks and anxiety will become worse over time! You will need more and more alcohol to quell the anxiety. It's a horrible catch 22 that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Good for you for posting this and sharing. Thanks. Hope others learn from this.

Andrea

Old 09-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #8

Phil77777 HB User

Hi...please dont think i mix alcohol with xanax!!!!!!

Xanax makes me feel crap...like a vegatable sorta limp..alcohol makes me feel normal.

Both are BAD for you BUT one aint a b1tch to give up!!!!!..I am now drinking every other night with a whisky as my xanax..far far safer!..and it works without making you stop,drop and sleep!

As far as i am aware i am on the UK "ok" drinkable safe limit..which is proven beneficial!!!!!!...I also drink 1 pint of milk a day which is again proven to give back what alcohol destroys...B12...plus vitamin supplement plus good diet.....i say alcohol if it works is safer than ANY benzo or other drug.

Dont be put off alcohol use it properly and it works against nerves/anxiety/panic...dont abuse it....even 1 bottle of wine a night only works out as 6 units of alcohol!!!!! x 7 = under double the safe limit.....atleast alcohol is well tested..benzos aint...no one "really" knows the long term damage let alone the withdrawel problems.

On a side note i have used alcohol for 15 plus years and have never upped it the same ammount has alwaysworked...and with my precautions i dont think i am doing much harm.

Last edited by Phil77777; 09-10-2004 at 03:39 PM.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I'm not going to argue with you.

Xanax worked wonders for me, never felt strange while I was taking it, never once upped my dose in all the time I was taking it and I weaned off of it with no problems at all.
If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you..end of story.
Not everyone is the same and what works for one doesn't work for everyone.

I still don't think drinking...with or without Xanax is the right way to deal with this issue, but it's seems that you've made your choice.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Phil,

If you have been drinking for 15 yrs and just stopped to try the Xanax, you sound as if your going through detox withdrawals from the alcohol. Which Xanax won't quelch those withdrawals first. Speaking of alcohol being "safer", have you had your trigyclerides checked in the liver, you aware of cirrohosis of the liver? Chronic drinking in the moderation figures you speak of will cause damage.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:16 AM   #11

Phil77777 HB User

Hi Crabbyroad,

I actually weened off alcohol before taking the xanax for the fear of the detox.

Yes very aware of liver problems...apparently thats where the milk comes in useful!...BUT are you aware the damage benzos can cause the liver!?

Moderation figures causing me damage?....Its the UK safe limit...28 units per week for a male.....i am on around 26 to 32 units a week....not much over is it?This ammount is proven beneficial to ones health!

But lets be realistic here..our lives are sh1te right?????Whats best having a drink and feeling well or sitting there stressed out thinking your gonna die or taking drugs to feel tired and spaced out? (bare in mind NO other treatment will work for me)

We all gotta do what we gotta do to survive....unfortunately like people who use drugs,alcohol is frowned upon too....all i can tell you is what makes ME feel good to get thru this life.

Lets be really realistic now...as nothing else works for me...why should i not use alcohol..surely the only real long term risk is cirrohsis..and then i do beleive you gotta be a serious drinker like treble the safe limit plus drinking all day long with poor diet.Even then you can stop drinking and the liver will repair it self in most cases!

Sorry to dissapoint some people that alcohol is my answer in a non abusive method....ok i will admit to drinking a bottle of wine every night for a long while due to not being able to stop as the feeling was so good,but i have remedied that now as i am fully aware of the damage it could cause.........i can safely say i know people who drink more than that!!!!Plus how many have like 10 plus units in just one night once a week?That is far worse for you than consistent milddrinking as your body adapts to the alcohol like it adapts to drug taking.

PS no arguments...its just difference of opinion

Last edited by Phil77777; 09-11-2004 at 06:17 AM.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:44 PM   #12

dom peri HB User

i think im kinda like phil, i usually only need 6 units to stop any attacks, no sweating etc., i do this before going out, no matter what it is. but i also eat very healthy and work out. but i really want to just try xanax and pop a pill, its so much easier than drinking 6 beers everytime i want to do something

Old 09-13-2004, 05:21 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Phil,

I think I have told you this before, but ANY alcohol use can damage your liver. My daddy is suffering with this right now. He is 58 years old and has been dealing with this for almost 3 years now. He lost a lot of weight and we thought we would lose him. He did the same thing as you. Drank a little everyday. I know no one here can make you do anything you don't want to do, but I thought maybe posting this would at least make you reconsider or just think about it a little longer.

Have you tried another benzo? Klonopin is another benzo and when you reach the right dose amount, works very well. Sometimes you have to mess with the dose and give it time to work before you feel better. I take half of a 1mg tablet now and when I first started, I could not take it during the day because it made me so sleepy. Now that my body is used to it, I can take it during the day and feel good. Ask your doctor to try another benzo first before you self medicate with alcohol.

Chantel

Old 09-15-2004, 02:59 AM   #14

Phil77777 HB User

Hi Chantel............i DO understand you BUT i think your getting confused in the sence i am actually really a hard drinker.......i NEVER drink thru the day unless the panic is so severe and then i just take 1 unit of whisky and that works.

As for evenings i have drink but only from 8 until 10 and in that time around 6 units.Assaid research shows alcohol to be good for you in moderation...male = 28 units per week = no risk to liver/health...i am over this yes but not by much plus research shows that vitamin b12 found in milk etc actually replaces what the excessive alcohol destroys in the liver which causes cirohsis.

I think maybe your dad drunk more than a little a day as alcohol isnt harmful unless taken to excess.

As said xanax does work but you just wanna chill and not move and the more i took the worse it got.......i cannot see any other benzo doing any different,as xanax did what it was sposed to do except if taking too little like i tried.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:01 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

>>As said xanax does work but you just wanna chill and not move and the more i took the worse it got.......i cannot see any other benzo doing any different,as xanax did what it was sposed to do except if taking too little like i tried.<<

Actually benzo's work differently sometimes. I was on Xanex then Ativan and now Klonopin. I could not take Xanex because it made me feel so weird. Expecially when I tried to sleep. I had weird dreams and it would make me sweat really bad. It also made me sleep deep. The klonopin doesn't do that to me.

Chantel

Closed Thread