It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
(male)

sts1505 HB User
Question B/P and Panic/Anxiety

I recently purchased a home B/P machine(bad mistake, now I sit around all day taking my B/P...AAARRRGGGG) and wondered if it is common to have a high B/P reading during an attack. My normal resting B/P is around 112/62, but during an attack it seems to go as high as 160/93. Then once the attack is over it slowly goes back down to my normal levels. What kind of long term effect can this have on me if any??? Will my body eventually get worn out from this yo-yo effect??? FIND SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD JUST DIE FOR....THEN DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO LIVE FOR IT!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: B/P and Panic/Anxiety

anxiety sufferers PB often fluctuates a lot, if doc thinks its too high then a beta blocker is the best BP med to be on

in general anxiety sufferers should try to ignore their bodies and not monitor their BP or pulse as this always makes the anxiety worse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
(male)

sts1505 HB User

I was started on a low dose of Toprol Xl and stayed on it for a short period (about 4 months) then Dr. told me that he did not think that I needed it anymore. I have been doing fine without it except for during the attacks. Does it have any adverse effects on the body to have these attacks make the B/P fluctuate so much???

Old 09-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

toprol is a beta blocker that acts quickly and can be taken as needed to reduce the BP and to calm your body, especially during a panic attack, doisolve 1 under the tongue

panic attacks dont hurt people, panic attack sufferers libve to a ripe old age and rarely have heart troubles

Old 09-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #5

Beaster7 HB User

Throw the machine in the trash and work on reassuring yourself

Old 09-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

STS,

I'm on a beta blocker mostly for anticipatory attacks, my BP skyrockets at the doctor's, going outside my safe zone, and during panic attacks. Mine also returns to normal after an attack, or if Im back at home. What I have noticed on the beta blockers and the reason my doctor thought it would help with my panic is that it tends to block some of the adrenaline surges, and helps with the rapid heart rate I get with my attacks, it still seems like its beating a mile a min, but no where near the numbers I was getting during a full blown attack.

I might add, when I had the white coat hypertension from being nervous in the doctors office, I also bought a BP monitor and became obessed with it. Very unhealthy for me to do. I took my BP 15 or more times a day. It got very bad that he instructed my husband to take it away from me if I took it more than twice a day, it since has gone down, and I only take it maybe every 3rd day.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #7
(male)

sts1505 HB User

Thanks for all the advice. I think that I am going to have to try to put the B/P machine away for a while and just try to relax. I keep regular appointments with my Dr.'s and everytime that I go to see them they always tell me that my B/P is fine. I will just have to try and remember that they are the professionals and as much as I think that they have missed something(like I do everytime that I go), I just need to trust them and relax!!!!!!What a "GREAT PLACE" this site is!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread