It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
Inactive

deejavu HB User
My life with Panic Disorder

Hi all,

This is the 1st time I am posting on this topic and I hope I can be of some help to fellow sufferers of Panic Attacks and Phobia's.

I am 47 now, and I had my first Panic Attack when I was only 5 years old. I didn't know it was a panic attack until many years later but I can tell you that panic attacks and phobia's shaped my life into complete fear, disabling me from doing what "normal" people do, and the list goes on.

I am better now (not cured), taking 30 mg of Paxil every day and 8 mg. of Klonopin. I tried every medication out there for 20 years and Paxil seems to really help me. I still get the Attacks and they are scary. There were times where I really thought I was going crazy though I never did.

I still suffer from phobia's as I am terrified of heights and driving, big cities, just to name a few.

I did much research on Panic Disorders and found that in my case, I inherited a chemical imbalance from my Mom who also suffered, as well as all the females in my family.

After having many years of full-blown attacks, nothing ever happened to me, and I learned that if I am stuck in a situation where I feel an attack coming on, writing down my fears on paper helps me so much.

Just wanted to let all of you know that I understand and feel much compassion for anyone with this disorder and I'm here to listen.

Good luck and Hugs!
Deejavu

Old 10-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
(female)

Madj HB User
Re: My life with Panic Disorder

Hello Deejavu,

I know how you feel because I've been there so many times. You say that you've never been cured. I was wondering have you ever tried doing any therapy for you problem?? About a year ago when I believed that there was no hope, I found this therapist which also does hypnotherapy. It was like a dream come true for me. I never thought that I would ever be panic free, but I am. In the past I gave up on therapy, because I believed that nothing could help me. I am glad I went to this therapist, because she really changed my life. She believes that hypnotherapy can help everyone, I don't know I am not a therapist, but I think it's worth trying it.

Take care.

Madj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to deeja
it sounds like the paxil is doing little or nothing for you, 8mg klonapin is a very high dose

Old 10-07-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Madj and Hry33,

Yes, I have tried all types of therapy for over 20 years (I could probably write a book on that topic). I love therapy when it's the right doctor and in my case, all the doctors I have seen came to the same conclusion in my particular case which is that my disorder is not psycological, but a chemical imbalance.

Everyone is different, and in my case, my brain does not keep the "chemical" Serotonin inside, it leaks out causing anxiety and panic attacks.

Compared to how I used to suffer, I would say that I am 90% better which makes me very happy. I can do things today that I couldn't do before and I know that Paxil has helped me tremendously.

I am also a recovering alcoholic since 1984 (have not had one drink since then), which is the reason my dose of Klonopin seems high to other people. Alcoholics digest medications completely different than the "norm" and in most cases have a high tolerance.

Hry, I used to be on 60 mg of Paxil, and I wanted to see if I could do better on less, and I am doing fine on 30mg of time release Paxil. I rarely get panic attacks, I get anxiety but I usually know the reason why so I do my best to handle it. I believe that there are "tools" for everyone, and each person has to find what works for them. Some of my tools is writing my down my feelings, doing exercise, or accomplishing something.

I avoid high doses of Caffeine, do Relaxation Tapes, try to do Yoga (I believe that exercise is great for letting out tension).

Until later,
Deejavu

Old 10-10-2004, 02:51 AM   #5
(male)

tracer HB User
Talking Re: My life with Panic Disorder

unforulently pannic can lead to more disorders such as phobias and depresion i also had pannic from a chem inbalance and have had it under control for 10 years now with torfinil and a small dose of xanax a day,at first i didnt trust the meds to help or anything else for that matter not even myself. and my mind and body did all it could to resist the meds but finaly after a max dose of 450 mg of tofrinil and 5 mg of xanax a day my body adjusted and the panic stopped and now 10 years later i take a very low dose to keep panic in check,it took me 5 years to get my pannic under control and i am lucky my nephew had them to and now has severe clinical depression,at one time my doc thought i my be going sketso,but i didnt,so for what its worth dont give up u can get better and dont change ur meds unless u must i no its hard but its a battle u can win with help and the meds will help u must give them time,
heh at one time tofrinil had me eating fried chicken covered with tabasco sause and i hate tabasco but at the time i could drink it stright,but i didnt stop i kept on and i won i beat this awful thing and u can too.

Closed Thread