It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

Jeanster HB User
To All with Panic Attacks

Hi there,
I have not written under the "panic disorders" section as I was posting messages on other sections. I discovered recently there was a panic disorder board and felt compelled to write to you.
I am a 32 yr old female and I too suffered from panic attacks for years. They started when I was 24 and they were very powerful and intense. After realizing they were panic attacks was prescribed anti-depressants. I took them for about four years, different kinds: paxil, prozac, and a couple others. I also took ativan to calm myself down but it wasn't until a couple years later of suffering did my doc prescribe these.
The first 2 years were the worst. Racing heart, hyperventalting, shaking, feeling like I wanted to rip my clothes off and go running out onto the street, and a feeling of some sureal surroundings. Very scary.
Well, thankfully the panic attacks have subsided substantialy. I have not taken any antidepressants for over two years now and I rarely feel panic attacks come on. They still do once in awhile and if it starts to over-power my thoughts of "oh my god, I'm going to die" I take an ativan. I carry them around with me everywhere. Although I don't take as many as I used to.
Hopefully all of you who suffer from panic attacks will eventually not get as many. I know how awful they are. Drugs and alcohol will make the panic attacks ten times worse and don't drink 4 or 5 cups of coffee in the morning, that can trigger them too. Good luck

Jean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: To All with Panic Attacks

antidepressants and ativan are useful but there are many panic attack coping methods in books and courses on overcoming agoraphobia or panic disorder

Closed Thread