It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
GERD and panic disorder

GERD= gastro--esophageal --reflux--disorder, is the primary GI aspect of panic disorder -- after numerous workups for the medical aspects of panic disorder, it seems that GERD is a central part of panic disorder.

GERD= gastro--esophageal-- reflux--disorder is the primary GI aspect of panic disorder -- after numerous workups for the medical aspects of panic disorder, it seems that GERD is a central part of panic disorder. In the research section of this website you can find 24 hour tracings of gastric pH. What they show is that bile is flowing backwards from the duodenum to the stomach, particularly during sleep and not necessarily during an attack. Bile is alkaline, and the stomach demands an acidic pH, and so it secretes large amounts of acid to neutralize the bile. This produces a large volume of gastric contents which "reflux" from the stomach up the esophagus. GERD can cause simple heartburn or regurgitation, but dysmotility of the gut can cause gastric contents to be "shot" up the esophagus to land on the posterior aspect of the sinuses causing chronic, recurrent sinusitis. Gastric contents can also be aspirated to cause recurrent asthma and bronchitis. Often a patient will wake up in the morning with laryngitis after nocturnal aspiration of gastric contents. Treating the GERD is as important as treating the panic attacks.

theres a GERD board here but its not very active

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

curlyque57 HB User
Re: GERD and panic disorder

Hry33...thank you SOOOO much for this post! After I read this information, I searched the boards and found your other post on this subject in July, the article by Stuart Shipko MD, psychatrist. This may be the best information I have found thus far in researching my panic episodes and possible causes. I had no idea there was any relationship between GERD and panic...but every time a panic episode begins...I notice that my stomach becomes instantly imflamed with acid. The GERD has been around longer than the panic...but as the GERD has worsened over the years, the panic episodes have increased in quantity and intensity. I've been on prilosec for years...and also use Carafate at night on and off. It's possible that when I slack off the Carafate...the panic episodes worsen. I will have to talk to my doctor regarding the information in Dr. Shipko's article. He'll probably just look at me perplexed (again). Thank you again!

Old 11-13-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
(male)

clouds z HB User

ive had that,,i thought i was dying last year

get exercizse lots of water, and fresh air

you have to give up processed foods
the worst i think is hydrogenated stuff which is margerine except maybe one brand and is found in cookies etc

and white rice is very bad

brown rice is great,white is death -it turns to sugar i think

black and green tea is ok i think and a little coffee

but some coffee is more aciditic so i buy the whole bean i have to grind up in the store and it seems better

but you may have to give up all coffee

Old 11-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
(male)

clouds z HB User

olive oil is great

Last edited by clouds z; 11-13-2004 at 07:50 PM.

Closed Thread