It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

dh2271 HB User
zoloft vs. paxil..help please

I have been taking 25 mg of zoloft for 5 weeks and having alot of side effects.My husband and I are ttc # 2. i saw my dr. today and he said it is time to switch b/c if i am still having the side effects on such a low dose..so i start paxil tomorrow. he is starting me at a very low dose 5 mg for 1 week them 10 for a week and up to 20. I just talked to my psychiatrist and he agreed with the decision. Please someone tell me something good about paxil and it helped them. Iam more anxious now that when I started taking zoloft. I had decreae in appetite, increaed anxiety, insomnia..but then i wonder if i wasn't at the right dose yet, i tried to go to 50 mg and had more bad side effects, i keep reading terrible things about paxil, but i know people on it and love it.Please tell me something positive about paxil or even zoloft
Thanks
Debbie
Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran

KayT HB User
Re: zoloft vs. paxil..help please

I took Paxil for some time and it helped a great deal with my anxiety at a low dose. The only thing I warn about it is to taper off the medication when you decide it is time to stop taking it. Otherwise, it can have the typical side effects of all SSRI's, but for me it worked well, I just didn't taper off it slow enough.

I am now on 25mg of Zoloft, which is a baby dose, but that is all my body will tolerate. If I go higher I feel horrible. It seems to help take the edge off though. It can take 6-8 weeks for a medication to fully work its magic, but we are all different and tolerate medications differently.

I would listent to your doctor. If you don't feel that your doctor is giving the correct advise, then get a second oppionion.

Hang in there, things do get better,

Kaytee:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #3

bushleaguer HB User

Hi Debbie -

The side effects you are discussing (increased anxiety, insomnia, decreased appetite) are common when starting SSRI's, and will dissipate in time. Sorry to hear that that wasn't the case with Zoloft. I've been on Zoloft for about 8 weeks now, and had the same side effects when I started. They have since disappeared.

In discussing which medication to try with my doctor, I told him that I had read that SSRIs cause weight gain and this was a side effect I couldn't deal with. He is very knowledgeable about these meds, and told me that Paxil is "notorious" for promoting weight gain. He said that a number of his patients gained weight on Zoloft as well, but not nearly to the degree that Paxil did. In fact, he said that he uses Paxil as a back-up plan for this reason.

I'm not trying to put you off of Paxil....just passing on what I was told so you are more informed. Not everyone will gain weight on an SSRI....we all react to meds differently. I have read that Paxil is very effective in treating anxiety. You are on the right track in terms of slowly increasing the dosage (it seems a lot of doctors will prescribe the theraputic dose right off the bat and thus subject patients to nasty start-up side effects that could be avoided with a modest and gradual increase in dosage).

Best of luck. Keep us informed on your progress. Thus far the Zoloft doesn't seem to be working well for me, so a switch to another med might be in my future.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to DDH
your zoloft dose was too small, should have been 50, check with pharamicist, I would try the zoloft at 50 for a few weeks, any valium type med will make it easier to live with
try the paxil if you like but its basicly the same type as zoloft so side efects will be similar, the paxil probably will continue on with the effect of the zoloft you took

most dont gain weight on these meds

Old 11-09-2004, 06:45 AM   #5
Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh2271
I have been taking 25 mg of zoloft for 5 weeks and having alot of side effects.My husband and I are ttc # 2. i saw my dr. today and he said it is time to switch b/c if i am still having the side effects on such a low dose..so i start paxil tomorrow. he is starting me at a very low dose 5 mg for 1 week them 10 for a week and up to 20. I just talked to my psychiatrist and he agreed with the decision. Please someone tell me something good about paxil and it helped them. Iam more anxious now that when I started taking zoloft. I had decreae in appetite, increaed anxiety, insomnia..but then i wonder if i wasn't at the right dose yet, i tried to go to 50 mg and had more bad side effects, i keep reading terrible things about paxil, but i know people on it and love it.Please tell me something positive about paxil or even zoloft
Thanks
Debbie
Debbie
I dealt with the exact same issue as you with Zoloft except the most I could tollerate was 12.5, any more than that and i would be more paniced and anxious. It was awful no matter how long I took it. The only possitive was an up mood. I switched to Paxil and feel so much better!! I was on 5mg then the 12.5 cr adn that was as high as i needed. Once I got used to that we went back to 5 mg and it works great!! I did have a weight gain that has stabled out around 5-7 lbs. But I can handle that over not feeling well. Yes the meds can cause weight gain..........yes the meds can cause weight loss..........there is no way to tell what dose or how YOU will react until you try it. Do not let the panic stand in your way of trying it. I almost did and it would have been a big mistake. As for the 50 mg of zoloft. I was put on that a long time ago and had my first full blown panic attack in 15 years! MORE MED DOES NOT ALWAYS GET RID OF SIDEEFFECTS!!!!

Best of luck to you and keep me updated on how the paxil works for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to byrdleg For This Useful Post:
Angeleyes31m (12-19-2011)
Old 11-12-2004, 07:29 AM   #6

JayneFlutist HB User

I have been on both at different times. Zoloft really helped me with anxiety, but it made me hypomanic, well so did paxil, but that didn't really help. I was up to 150 zoloft but the hypomania was unbearable so I went down to 100

Old 11-12-2004, 08:48 AM   #7

Dallas1992 HB User

We are very blessed to be living in the time that we are. I tried Zoloft and didn't like the side effects. I switched to Buspar and had some issues there as well. Paxil was better for me, but not perfect, so now I am on Effexor which seems to be working well. If that doesn't work then there are many more options to try. All of this is just to say that you shouldn't get frustrated if one doesn't work. Your body responds to different ones in different ways and one of them is right for you.

My insomnia was treated with Trazedone for a while. Once I got back on schedule I was able to taper off on that one. Sometimes other medications such as Adderall or Wellbutrin can be added to counteract some side effects, but they usually bring their own side effects as well. It takes patience and good journal-taking to find what works with the most bearable side effects.

Take care and I wish you the best!

Old 11-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #8
(female)

crazeedazee02 HB User

Are you sure you aren't having increased anxiety just because you are afraid of taking meds? I am on 175 mg of Zoloft currently but have been as high as 200. Everyone reacts differently to meds. My stepfather was on 25 mg and couldn't take the side effects either.

Closed Thread