It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #1

Rsspro18 HB User
Concerned about my upcoming trip, and plane rides! Any advice?

I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go to my brothers wedding on the island of Nevis. I am very concerned about this trip. I have been browsing some posts about plane flights for some tips and advice, all of them have been good for me to read but I am still a bit scared about my upcoming trip, and the whole plane rides! I am first flying about 3 or 4 hours to San Juan and then transfering there onto a smaller plane to fly to Nevis. I think the second flight is about an hour. On top of all this, I'm my brothers best man. I also don't know how well I'm going to do being away from home and on an island. My family will be there but I'm still concerned. My mom and dad are my main "safe" people, but I have a hard time going places even with them. I am 31 years old, and have Panic, Agoraphobia, and OCD. I have been in treatment and at one point a few years ago was basically symptom free. Now I've relapsed for the past 1 1/2 to 2 yeats and have been working toward getting better. I left my job I had and now I am in treatment working to get my life better and to be able to conquer or at least function better then I do now, despite having the disorders. I have pretty bad agoraphobia where I don't even really stay home by myself and I also have a hard time sitting in a restaurant for dinner. I never really spend time alone either home or out. I use my cell phone as assurance if I seperate from my safe people, and I don't think where I'm going even has cell phone service. I've actually considered staying home, maybe checking into a hospital or something, but that scares me too. Not to mention I really want to be at my brothers wedding and be with my family! I have no idea how I'm going to get through this. I also have OCD in addition to my Panic and Agoraphobia, but as far as the trip is concerned, I think the Agoraphobia and Panic symptoms and fears are going to be the toughest part, not the OCD as much. I am hoping and praying that everything will work out but I am scared. I already take 3.5mgs of Alprazolam a day for my symptoms and I still have trouble doing things, I think it makes my symptoms a bit less troublesome and helps me but it doesn't really make me drowsy or knock me out (which I guess is good), and even though it suppresses some anxiety, it doesn't totally control my symptoms and fears. I wish it did! Maybe I'll take an extra pill before the plane rides but I hope I can get through this. Then after the plane ride, spending the time on the island too! I'm sharing a room with my brothers friend and my parents will be in a different room, same with my brother and his fiancee. I'm sure on the trip I'll be going to dinner, shopping, maybe doing hiking and all sorts of things that they are planning and I'll go so I'm not alone, but I don't even know if I can handle those things. If I have trouble doing some of those things here, I doubt it'll be easier in Nevis! They don't even have a TV in the rooms there. I am hoping the cell phones work, but if not I actually bought 2 way radios in case I need to seperate from people down there. After all that, I'm fearful that if I have a really hard time on the plane ride, I won't get on the second plane, or on any planes to come home because I'll be too scared. I've been a bit overwhelmed lately and I also haven't slept great. I still have a lot of packing to do today and other things to do to get ready for the trip, whether buying things or preparing things. I also have 2 doctors appointments today. 1 with my psychologist and 1 with my psychiatrist. I'll definitley come on here today to see if I get any responses, I am leaving at around 3:00am tomorrow morning. If anyone has any advice for me, or personal experiences that could help, please respond! Any postive thoughts or advice could probably help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Concerned about my upcoming trip, and plane rides! Any advice?

the only practical way is to take more xanax, about double your normal dose, avoid alcahol
after the wedding you need to learn relaxation and CBT so as to not totally rely on the xanax

it helps a lot to breathe deep and slow when panicky, try it

your problems and ways of coping are common

Closed Thread