It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
zyprexa

Does anyone here take zyprexa for panic/anxiety? My dr. prescribed 2.5 2x day for severe anxiety. I am trying zoloft with the alprozolam for now. I don't want to take the zyprexa any length of time, unless I know it is my last option.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: zyprexa

zyprexa is an antipsychotic thats being promoted for anxiety and panic attacks, also depression
it may help but some psychs say antipsychotics arent suitable and wont use them

if the zoloft isnt helping, maybe the dose needs upping, also it can take 6 weeks to cut in and work properly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

Time2Heal HB User

I have never tried zyprexa, is it new? I hope it works well for you!

In reference to a post you had about xanex :
My experience with xanex was good, but kinda like a tylonol. After a few hours, it wears off. I have been on klonopin for over a year and a half and it is a more continuing result, with the side effects of drowsy, dizzy, etc. going away after a few days on it. Now, I was put on Lexapro about 3 weeks ago and I am so extremly happy;I have NEVER felt like I do. I never knew what it was like to not feel jittery, anxiety, scared with sudden loud noises, etc. etc. etc.

I know every med works different for each person but, I have tried them all and I finally at 32, am starting to feel like i never knew I could.

Talk to your dr and maybe he will give it a try for you-I find that I have to recc. and mention different meds to my dr after researching, and this one is simply amazing for me!

I hope you find what works for you with whatever med. you choose!
Caytie

Old 02-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Caytie, I don't know if zyprexa is new or not, but after researching it, I have decided not to take it. For now, anyway. I tried lexapro...I don't think I gave it long enough to "kick in". Anyway, my dr. switched me to zoloft, which I have taken before, but never really liked. It makes my head buzz and I don't know if it helps the anxiety or not. Keep me posted on the lexapro. I might try it again.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Caytie, are you taking the klonopin with the lexapro? I have never had that, just xanax.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

immortal19 HB User

I don't know what your doing...but it sounds like you are taking all these anti-depressents for like a week or less and not giving it time to kick in like hry33 said it sometimes can take 6 weeks for it to completely work. Be patient, the side effects on some of these meds can be ruff but take a benzo (xanax, klonopin, valium) with it and it should help with the side effects and always eat something when you take it.
Give it time, and after 6 weeks if it hasn't made a difference then start thinking about another med.
I'm not being mean here but just telling you from my own experiance that i never gave it time, but once i learned to be patient and suck up the side effects for a while it all got better and felt extremely better.
Good Luck and God bless,
Immortal

Old 02-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
(female)

Time2Heal HB User

Well, I have been on the klonopin for a year and a half-but was starting to have more panic attacks(I guess my body was so use to the kl)

I broke down and hit bottom about a month ago and immed. went to my dr. (I just see my primary care dr at this time).

Anyway, I have tried zoloft, paxil, prozac, and a couple others I really cannot think of the names.

He put me on 10mg of lexapro to go along with my klonopin. Of course, I was reluctant whether it would work or not, but figured-hey, I am on the bottom, I have no choice here.

It is suppose to work at its best within 3-4 weeks. Well, I could feel a dramatic change within the first week. Side effects, I have had none so far. Maybe a little more sleepy in the ams (I take it right before work).

For the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE- I had no jitters inside, no nervousness, so many feelings that were awesome, I never knew I could feel this way. My patience with my sons- 1 has adhd (15) and I am actually going to start homeschooling him this coming Monday because he really needs that route AND NOW I CAN DO IT!

Lexapro- is a combo of anti-depressant and anti-anxiety.
Klonopin- is originally used for people with seizures, but also works wonders for people with panic attacks. It is compared to xanex, but unlike a band-aid that wears off, you take it daily and it is continous.

My 9 year old son, has this thing with hiding and scaring anyone, funny wise. Well, never has he been able to do that to me because when someone jumps out at me or even approaches me from behind, I freak out into a panic, sadly, my boys know this and have learned to live with it.

I am very open with both of them- I have no choice, it is not fair to them if I am not. Well, when I told them (about a month ago) that I was starting on this new med. my 9 year old said, "mom, will I be able to scare you?" I cried and said, "yes, give me a little time for the med to work and I hope the day will come for you to be able to do that". A week and a half ago- he asked, are you ready for me to scare you? I said yes, let;s try it-sometime tonight-scare me , and we will see what happens. His eyes lit up!!!!

That night, he got me good, scared me to death-simply hiding and watching me through the porch window at night. I screamed............then started laughing, he ran in and we hugged each other- he said " mommy, you are so much better now and I can scare you too, I have always wanted to". Man, sorry to go on and on, but that was a big highlight in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, talk to your dr about the meds I mentioned and I hope they can work for you. Because I can honestly say- they saved my life when I hit bottom that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep me informed how you are! And your daughter!
Caytie

Old 02-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

immortal19, you are so correct and I am so impatient! I do not give the meds long enough, but am really going to try on this zoloft, and I am making myself take the xanax to get me thru.....you hit the nail on the head! Thanks for being honest, that's what I need right now!
Hello Caytie! I thought that was you! I am still working with the daughter issue, which only increases the anxiety, ya know? I am so glad to hear from you! Keep in touch! Your info was so important to me and you are awesome!

Old 02-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Hry33, thanks so much for comparing the zyprexa to hitting anxiety with a baseball bat (another thread, maybe?).....that worked for me! I won't touch it now! As another good poster told me, I might be hitting anxiety with a BIG club when I don't really need that! Thanks!

Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
(female)

Time2Heal HB User

Yes, I take 3 klonopin before bed and I take my lexapro in the am. I started on only 1 klonopin almost 2 years ago- and have moved up to 3 now.

I also, with many meds, did not give them time to work, after about a week or so, I would be like, forget this- i feel no different. But like I said, I was on bottom and Lexapro realy seemed to kick in after only a few days for me.
Keep me informed on how you are!
Caytie

Old 02-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
(female)

prose HB User

American Dancer--I used to use Zyprexa while waiting for my Zoloft to kick in.
My psychiatrist, who is great with meds., said it isn't addictive like Xanax, and one doesn't have a "fall" after using it. I found it really relaxed me before going
to bed. I think I took it for a few months. Now I only take Zoloft.

The only negative about Zyprexa for me was the weight gain. You get really hungry. By the way, Zyprexa is used as an anti-psychotic at much, much higher dosages.

I still take a Zyprexa a couple times a year before I fly on an airplane. It relaxes me.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Thanks prose, but I have decided not to use the zyprexa just yet. I am waiting for the zoloft to kick in and I have alprazolam if needed. Does just the zoloft work for you? Does it make you calmer? It has stopped the panic attacks, but I still have that anxious feeling.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
(female)

prose HB User

Not only do I not get panic attacks, but I don't have anxiety. I have been on it almost two years now, and I would like to try to get off it. I am planning to go to therapy to learn how to manage the attacks mentally, if possible.

If I start having them again, I will definitely go back on Zoloft. My psychiatrist said that most panic disorders are tied to depression. I had no idea I was depressed. I just kept thinking about how I could die and then my kids wouldn't have a mother. It was terrible. I don't get these thoughts anymore.

I wish you all the best. My Dr. doesn't like aprazolam for anxiety. She says it is very bad. I was put on it by a regular MD, and I would fall asleep but awake a few hours later very anxious. My shrink said aprazolam relaxes you, but when it wears off, you are worse off. That's why she likes the Zyprexa. She views it as a short-term thing though.

I definitely felt better with the Zyprexa than with the Aprazolam by a long shot. I did gain weight though.

Closed Thread