It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
(male)

clear HB User
Valium or Xanax...airplane

I am getting ready to fly to Europe from the US. I have both valium and xanax and just wanted to know which one people have better experience with for a long plane trip?

Old 04-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Valium or Xanax...airplane

Vodka

Honestly, I'm a TERRIBLE flyer and I fly about 5 times a year! I think valium is better for long flights (try to take it an hour before the flight) and xanax is good for short flights. I do the VERY best when I have a few (or 4) cranberry & vodkas before I fly (and typically I carry a cranberry & vodka mix on the plane in a Gatorade bottle for take-off). However, I take benzo's for work-related flights. I cannot STAND to fly, but the destination is typically worth it, so I do it.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

antoinettev3 HB User

I prefer Xanax as it doesn't knock me out as much so I can be more functional and alert. I'm prone to motion sickness too so I take a Bonine as well and the combined effect is pretty relaxing and lasts for most of my shorter flights. If I'm delayed or looking at a longer trip I just take an additional 1/2 dose of Xanax to keep me calm.

Valium, for me, seems to peak too quickly. It knocks me out pretty good at first but within an hour it seems to clear my system rapidly.

Have a safe, pleasent and uneventful flight.

Antoinette

Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

I too perfer Xanax, but then again I never tooked Valium so I can't compare.

What I can offer is my own experience. I tooked (1) 1/4 mg for a three hour flight to Florida. I tooked one before my trip to see how I reacted to the med. It worked great, calmed me right down. So on my 3 hour flight, I waited till I boarded the plane, got comfortable, waited before take off and popped that pill. I had maganizes along for the trip as well. Best flight I ever had.

When I got back, I booked a flight to Las Vegas - 6 hour flight. I did the same as my Florida trip, tooked ithe Xanax when I boarded the plane and was settled in my seat - tooked one, waited an hour and tooked another for the 6 hour flight. 6 hours went by so fast. I even tooked in a movie and nap.
Great Flight!

Now, I'm working on taking a trip to Hawaii, that's a 23 hour flight for me.
I'm going to have a stop over in CA to break up the flight - but I haven't a clue what to do on my return trip
When I figure out what to do - I will plan my trip.

Enjoy your flight and trip.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

both are benzos and very useful and can be taken together, V lasts a bit longer than X, take before the flight and probably more during, the dose you need is very individual, alcahol effects you more strongly

if the worst happens and you become very panicky then a quite large dose will calm you down, make sure the tablets havent been deactivated by hot storage, so take the flight with confidence that all will be well

it can help to tell the cabin staff that you are a nervous passanger, they are used to this

Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
(male)

clear HB User

Thanks for all the information. I believe I will have rum in one pocket and xanax in the other. (never liked vodka) I sometimes think the anxiety before the flight is just as bad...

Old 04-26-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

I am also a very nervous flyer and suffer from panic attacks as well. I usually only have to fly 2 or 3 times a year but when I do I always make sure to visit my doctor and ask for something to calm me. The last time I was given valium. It did the trick (I also had a glass or two of wine). My biggest fear is totally freaking out in the air. Last year I had to pull over on the interstate on the way to the airport twice to throw up - that's how bad I work myself up! I find that I am way worse leading up to the flight. Good luck.

Closed Thread