It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 04:52 AM   #1
(female)

loco4bap HB User
The Charles Linden Method?????

Hi, I came across The Charles Linden Method to conquer panic attacks and was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it or has purchased it. I just want some input before I pay for it, it sounds very promising but I dont want it to be a scam. I am desperate for help! Can anyone suggest and great books or programs that would help.
Thank You

Old 05-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
(male)

Diver05 HB User
Re: The Charles Linden Method?????

I don't know about the Linden method, never heard of it. Then again all this is new to me so that doesn't mean much.

I have come across a book called "Don't panic-Taking Control of Panic Attacks" by R. Reid Wilson. PHD

I've come across the name of that book a couple of times. I have been wanting to give that one a try, but I haven't had the time to get it yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco4bap
Hi, I came across The Charles Linden Method to conquer panic attacks and was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it or has purchased it. I just want some input before I pay for it, it sounds very promising but I dont want it to be a scam. I am desperate for help! Can anyone suggest and great books or programs that would help.
Thank You
Hi,
I bought the Linden Method. It's quite good as it makes 'simple' sense of panic and has a few good tips. I wouldn't feel it's the answer to everything but it's not a waste of money.That's in my opinion anyway.

I now believe that when your frame of mind is at the right stage the panic and anxiety eases off, kind of like 'when the time is right'. Some methods tell you to fight the panic, other methods say to let it 'flow over you', so it can be very confusing.

I think I've just discovered the answer this week-well,it worked for me...
When you get that familiar feeling of panic,first stop it abruptly, then say "ok now you can come at me", then stop it and start it again and so on.Then at another time when you're calm, try to bring up a fearful thought and go through the same process.I tried this for the first time today and ended up being able to take a journey to a place I couldn't go for the past 4 years! I think it worked because I was deciding how the thoughts were handled by my mind and I felt in control. I feel sooo good today!

Hope this is some help.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
(female)

loco4bap HB User

Thank You for your input Hopefull Doll, it is very confusing with all the different books and stuff telling different ways to deal with your panic attacks, I guess each person just have to find which one works for them. Could you tell me a little more about the Charles Linden Method, is this one that says you should fight your panic or let it flow? I've had panic attacks for about 18 years on and off, I am 34 years old and they are back like in full force. It's getting to the point now where I wont drive by myself or shop by myself, I really get to mad and upset and just want to be able to do things without feeling the panic. I pray alot and hope something helps soon. They always say it is treatable so I have hope.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

loco4bap, I feel for you so much, I'm not fully 'cured' yet but I'm making good progress.The one thing I took from the method is that anxiety is just a bad habit. So, when I feel that rush of panic starting in my head I say to myself,'These thoughts and fears are nothing,they're just a bad habit like eating too much or drinking too much and they CAN'T harm me!' This helps.We need to retrain our minds with the good habit of NOT panicking.

I've put together my own method (it's just what works for me)I really believe that anxiety & panic attacks come from a fear of rejection. Fear of what others think,fear of what we think about ourselves and a lack of trust.. I now realise I am on the same life journey as everyone else and I don't fear peoples opinion anymore.

Like you,I know how hard it is to go places. I find it so difficult when one of the kids has a game after school and I have to travel maybe only 5 miles!! I don't put myself under the same pressure in my head now.I used to say 'what if..?' and would think up every calamity imaginable.Now I don't think, I just go.Whatever you do,don't stop going places, even if it's just a 5 minute walk,at least you'll have been out,and just build up your travelling from there.

As a final word, don't forget that for about every 10 people you see in the shops or wherever you are, at least 4 out of the 10 are going through the same thing as you, and they don't even know that they and you are part of that 4, because like you,they're trying to hide it too and appear to be in control! Console yourself to know this,you're not alone. Also, go easy on yourself,don't expect so much of yourself.One tiny step at a time is enough.

I wish you peace of mind.
Hopeful Doll.

Closed Thread