It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
panic attacks from wasps in garage

Hi,
I am new to this board - I have a phobia of anything that buzzes around but especially of wasps - this week they started coming into my garage - I feel like I'm going crazy - if I see one, I break into a full body sweat, my face gets flushed, my hearts pounds out of my chest and I start to choke - it gets so tight in my throat I'm afraid I won't be able to breathe - I have thyroid nodules so it's already full in my throat and that can exacerbate the anxiety - then I run like heck - which is the opposite of what you are supposed to do - one got in the house on monday - I went crazy - It was on a window - I was brave enough to try a flyswatter but I was shaking all over, crying and getting hysterical - finally I got the outdoor wasp spray - I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed even after he was dead - I almost/maybe did ruin out brand new carpet - I've had it treated twice by professionals but there is still some stain....plus I almost asphyxiated from the poisons.....I can't think - I can't work - I can't do anything because I know there are wasps in my garage (I have a stray kitty living in there that I am going to integrate into the house but my 15.5 yr old cat is not ready for it) and I worry he will get stung and I have to go out there and feed him and take care of his litter box. I got the professionals out here thurs and they dusted the attic - this helped for two days - I did not see a wasp - I was just starting to feel a little better and then now there's one in there again.
I can't sleep, work and I feel like my mind is coming unglued - I know it's irrational, but I can't control it and I'm worried I'm going to go crazy. I am on medications - klonopin - but it doesn't help - not for this - for other things yes - but not wasps....anyone else have this phobia? Can anyone help - I have a critical project at work that has to be done by the end of june or I may lose my job and I spent all last week having the carpet cleaned twice and the pest guys out here treating the attic adn the rest of the time obsessing....I would be most grateful for anything anyone can tell me to help me get through this - I put a call into the pest place to get them out here again - but it'll be at least Monday or tues I'm sure...what to do till then?
Thank you in advance....
Kathy

PS I used to be on SSRIs but had to quit them because they quit working for me when I developed thyroid disease - but have tried almost all of them..

Last edited by wxKathy2; 06-18-2005 at 01:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

CallmeDee HB User
Re: panic attacks from wasps in garage

Kathy, I think I would be terrified if I had wasps too. Whenever I see a wasp I get very frightened. I don't think you are going crazy as everyone as different fears and/or phobia's. My phobia is driving and I obsess about that.

I think there is a name for this type of phobia of wasps.

I guess the best thing for you to do is to keep posting and expressing your feelings. Sometimes I write down all my panicky feelings on a piece of paper and that seems to help me.

I hope you feel better, just hang in there and put positive thoughts in your mind. Is there any other place you could put the stray kitten? Perhaps your bathroom? Just a thought.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Dee,
Thanks so much for your reply - It does help to write it out - I found something on the internet about phobias that says to write out what your fears are - one of them is of losing control...your support helps alot too - I think everyone has something they are afraid of - mine is wasps...my little brother and I were attacked when we were 3 and 8 (I was 8) and he almost died and had to be rushed to the hospital. Usually there's only one wasp at a time - so I can see that as different too. A friend stopped by this afternoon and killed it for me (I have 6 cans of spray!)...Thanks for your kindness....I can understand being afraid about driving - wish I could help - I can understand but not offer any help - I do sympathize and have felt that way before too - last spring - but that is better now....

The stray kitty - prefers the garage - I've tried letting him in frequently - but my 15 year old cat is scaring him (she has her claws) and he doesn't....I checked with the vet and they assured me that the wasps would not hurt the kitty - it's just me they bother! So he is really happiest out there right now - before the wasps came, I fixed him up a nice spot - got him a patio lounge chair and a basket to sleep in and it's his space for now. I have been slowing increasing the two cats exposure to one another- but it's not going too well - I do hope it eventually works out...he's only 2 and she is old with some kidney problems so stress isn't good for her - I've had her for 14 years! She had a companion cat who died in october - but I don't know if she'll accept a new one....sorry for rambling - my adrenalin is all pumped up....

Thanks for understanding....I really appreciate your reply!
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 06-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
(female)

CallmeDee HB User

Hi Kathy,

You are so welcome. Sounds like you had a traumatic experience with those nasty wasps when you and your brother were kids, same with me, I had a traumatic experience when I was 17 with a car, hence my fear of driving.

I think that things that happen to us when we are young stay in our subconcious and I am guessing that the best thing to do is to talk about it and get it out in the open.

By the way, I have some wasp nests in back of my house and a friend told me that I should only spray either early in the morning or very late at night because that's when they go back in their nests and go to sleep.

Maybe you can get an exterminator to find the nest early in the morning and remove it so you will be rid of them for good. They kind of look like beehive nests.

I understand about your 15 year old Cat completely. I had an older cat and when I brought home a kitten, my older cat went nuts and didn't accept the kitten. Then she ran outside and I couldn't get her back in so I called my vet and he told me to let her stay out. She did come to my front door every morning to be fed and lived for a long time. I felt bad but it worked out in the end.

Good luck to you,
Dee

Old 06-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

HI Dee,
Thanks for your reply - Yes - I may have to keep the cats separated for a long time - I had the exterminator here - but I guess this is a process....Thanks for your tips...I hate this - but in way I guess each one I deal with is helping with desensitization which I guess is an important part of dealing with a phobia? I read that online somewhere...thanks for your support - I hope you feel better soon too...
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 06-20-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

loci777 HB User

at least your 'fight or flight' is kicking in with a threat....a small threat but still a threat
abit over the top maybe, but its just your body reacting to a threat.

now try telling my body that there is no threat to walking into a shop...it just wont listen

Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

I understand - I have other fighter/flight reactions too - this one is just probably my most severe phobia- I'm sorry for your difficulty and hope you get better...sometimes, mine go in phases - they bother me for several months and then go away (and sometimes something else replaces them), but maybe it will get better....thank you for your reply....
Best wishes,

Kathy

Old 06-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Hi,
I am new to this board - I have a phobia of anything that buzzes around but especially of wasps - this week they started coming into my garage - I feel like I'm going crazy - if I see one, I break into a full body sweat, my face gets flushed, my hearts pounds out of my chest and I start to choke - it gets so tight in my throat I'm afraid I won't be able to breathe - I have thyroid nodules so it's already full in my throat and that can exacerbate the anxiety - then I run like heck - which is the opposite of what you are supposed to do - one got in the house on monday - I went crazy - It was on a window - I was brave enough to try a flyswatter but I was shaking all over, crying and getting hysterical - finally I got the outdoor wasp spray - I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed even after he was dead - I almost/maybe did ruin out brand new carpet - I've had it treated twice by professionals but there is still some stain....plus I almost asphyxiated from the poisons.....I can't think - I can't work - I can't do anything because I know there are wasps in my garage (I have a stray kitty living in there that I am going to integrate into the house but my 15.5 yr old cat is not ready for it) and I worry he will get stung and I have to go out there and feed him and take care of his litter box. I got the professionals out here thurs and they dusted the attic - this helped for two days - I did not see a wasp - I was just starting to feel a little better and then now there's one in there again.
I can't sleep, work and I feel like my mind is coming unglued - I know it's irrational, but I can't control it and I'm worried I'm going to go crazy. I am on medications - klonopin - but it doesn't help - not for this - for other things yes - but not wasps....anyone else have this phobia? Can anyone help - I have a critical project at work that has to be done by the end of june or I may lose my job and I spent all last week having the carpet cleaned twice and the pest guys out here treating the attic adn the rest of the time obsessing....I would be most grateful for anything anyone can tell me to help me get through this - I put a call into the pest place to get them out here again - but it'll be at least Monday or tues I'm sure...what to do till then?
Thank you in advance....
Kathy

PS I used to be on SSRIs but had to quit them because they quit working for me when I developed thyroid disease - but have tried almost all of them..
Seriously, medications won't do squat for this. It's just a fear....maybe seems irrational to those who don't feel the same way, but if you ask me being afraid of something that can hurt you isn't irrational at all....now, if you were afraid of ladybugs then I might question it...

My son and I both have this intense fear of those flying creatures from hell too. We deal with it by inspecting the eaves of our house often during the spring and summer months and spraying anything that even looks like a nest! Today I just sprayed a single wasp simply hanging out on one of our eaves, figuring he had some ideas about setting up shop there.

All I can say is, thank goodness for the sprays but really, don't use them in the house, use a tough cornbroom since swatters are very weak and flimsy... and smash the sucker.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi - Thank you for making me not feel alone - I am terrified of them! I don't even think I could stand outside and spray one- fortunately I have a pest company that will - I had the attic dusted and he came out again today and sprayed around the outside - next is to try to get any holes I can find filled up that they might be using to get into the attic - otherwise the pest guy said they'll be back in the house next year!! I don't think I can take it again....so I am working on finding some people to help fill the holes in the bricks, wood and roof - I don't think I can do that either - especially in the places where I could see them going in and out...even though he sprayed there it raises my blood pressure thinking about it - at least there are people willing to help....that is one good thing - but I did lose my mind that one day.....and it really has not been back in balance since - but I think it's getting a little better....
Thanks for your reply -
Kathy

Old 06-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Just curious, but are you allergic to bee stings? I have a friend that is highly allergic to bees and really gets panicky when he sees bees. All I can say is use your pest control guy and saty on top of the situation to help minimize your exposure to seeing them. However, it is their (bees) time of the year so it's tough to get rid of them totally. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Thanks - I am slightly allergic - but not where my throat swells shut - I am just afraid - Thank you for your support!

Old 06-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

I tell you the best thing to do is might be something I saw awhile back on tv. Basically it was a clinic that helps people get over fears of insects, snakes, etc. It was a slow process but a person would be exposed to their fear (a spider episode is the one I saw) in a controlled environment. If the person could not handle it, the fear would be quickly taken away. I'm sure there was more too it than that but that's all I can really remember. It was a slow but effective process. I see it as a slow way tappering off a fear. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Thanks - I read something about that - desensitization - so I found out what type I have and printed out pictures of them from the web - I put them on a table I walk by often - it sort of helped but afterwhile I couldn't take it so I folded them up - maybe later on I can try again - thanks for the tip though!
K

Old 06-25-2005, 12:20 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Hi - Thank you for making me not feel alone - I am terrified of them! I don't even think I could stand outside and spray one- fortunately I have a pest company that will - I had the attic dusted and he came out again today and sprayed around the outside - next is to try to get any holes I can find filled up that they might be using to get into the attic - otherwise the pest guy said they'll be back in the house next year!! I don't think I can take it again....so I am working on finding some people to help fill the holes in the bricks, wood and roof - I don't think I can do that either - especially in the places where I could see them going in and out...even though he sprayed there it raises my blood pressure thinking about it - at least there are people willing to help....that is one good thing - but I did lose my mind that one day.....and it really has not been back in balance since - but I think it's getting a little better....
Thanks for your reply -
Kathy
Actually, I wouldn't attempt filling in holes myself either since most hired people know how to do it right (it seems simple but construction repair is a profession for a reason) and they are used to being exposed to alot of outdoor bugs and know how to handle the situation better.

They also tend to wear protective work clothing, boots, gloves etc. to avoid various injuries and this also helps them deal with bugs better. So professionals are definately the answer to get your problem under control, perhaps permanentely.

PS> I'm only brave about spraying because I can run inside but if we had them in our attic and house I would call a pro.....

Old 06-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: panic attacks from specific phobias!

I am so, SO happy that someone else besides me experiences panic attacks from specific phobias! Mine aren't wasps, but dentists, waiting, using the computer to write essays, and tests. For awhile, I was beginning to wonder if anyone else experienced this besides me. I know I don't have panic disorder because I know to the minute when I'll get a panic attack if one of the aforementioned situations comes into play, and I don't feel any fears of depersonalization or death (the death fears come from my OCD! LOL!) Still, all of the symptoms for panic attacks describe me perfectly, but I was starting to question if this was just part of my GAD, or something completely different!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread