It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
ok, I need to stay off the depression board

I just started taking Effexor about a month ago, and I am so far pretty happy with the results. Now that I have energy and motivation, my intent was to try and get a new fitness and diet routine and get as healthy as I possibly can, then go off all drugs, I just feel like it's time.

Anyway, I was reading the depression board and there is a 146 page thread about how Effexor is rat poison and withdrawal is hell and not even worth taking it and on and on and on. Now I am terrified to continue taking it. I know different drugs do different things to people, and just because some people have experienced horrible withdrawal doesn't ncessarily mean I will, but if you read this post you would be convinced it is 95% a bad drug. Should I discontinue taking it? I am so scared now, i do not want to experience what those people were talking about. i can't afford to.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
Re: ok, I need to stay off the depression board

Hi mjewell! I started effexor before and quit right after I got my script filled because of that post. Then I started having panic attacks to the point I had trouble driving. That is what did it for me! I went to my dr. for some more samples to work my way up to the script dose I had filled. He said if I would just give it a try for the next month or so and see if I am doing any better. He suggested I do not "surf" the internet regarding effexor, because people seem to post more about the problems with it instead of the success with it. I am pretty much committed to trying this and seeing if it works. If it doesn't, I trust my dr. to help me taper down. Right now, I have to find something to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're right, my whole problem is I have become obsessed with the Internet. I have been arguing with myself all day about what to do. The truth is I feel a lot better lately probably because of the Effexor, so I should just listen to my own body. I also don't experience side effects the way a lot of people do, and I haven't had any withdrawal problems with other meds in the past, so i don't know why I am freaking.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disturbed by that one geez!!

Old 07-08-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

What time do you take your effexor? Morning or evening? I've been taking mine in the morning. I missed two doses of the 75mg. this week while we were at the beach, but it didn't seem to bother me.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
(female)

NVR2L8 HB User

Well everyone is different but i went through "The Hell" first hand. {REMOVED}

If you are initially doing good on it, you probably wont have any problems. I had initial side effects in the beginnings weeks which i should have taken as warning signs. I have a friend who is on it and has no problems whatsoever. I guess i am just suseptable to these drugs having side effects and withdrawals.

I am trying to taper off of Cymbalta now which is a very similar drug to effexor and I am having the same problems that I did coming off of Effexor. But this time I am wiser and know that it is me coming off the drug and notsomething else. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Keep in mind everyone is different. Effexor was the first drug I went on.

Me.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-10-2005 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Please don't post off board contact information of any kind. Please read and follow the posting rules to avoid being banned. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 07-10-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

I was only on Effexor for like a week and I went off of it. It was AWFUL! The doc said my body was too sensitive for it.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I take my effexor in the evening after work. I have also missed a couple doses, sometimes I just forget too, and like you I didn't even notice. I think some people are definitely more senstitive to meds than others. I didn't really have any side effects either. I have quit meds in the past cold turkey (I know, bad mjewell!!) and never had problems, so I guess what is bad for one person may not necessarily hurt someone else.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Hi mjewell. I wonder if I should change from morning to evening. I guess it works the same and doesn't keep you awake? I have had insomnia with the effexor, but that's not knew for me. It probably isn't the effexor. I also quit meds cold turkey and haven't had a big problem. I do worry about this one, though. How are you doing so far?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't think the time of day you take it matters. Initially I started taking it at night cause I was afraid it would make me dizzy or something at work, but doesn't really make a difference. I also have had a few restless and sweaty nights. I've NEVER had problems sleeping so I'm pretty sure it's because of the Effexor, however I have only had three sleepless nights since I've been taking it (about a month now).

I did cut my dose back down to 75mg and I am going to stay there for a while and see how I do. I really want to try and take the smallest dose possible so that when I do try to taper off it won't be a big deal. I am really starting to believe that living healthy makes a huge difference in how I feel. For about 2 weeks I had been drinking tons of water every day, eating very healthy and exercising every day (as well as getting to bed early). Well this last weekend we had friends in town and I went to bed late every night, got up early in the morning, drank a lot of alcohol, and just wore myself down. i didn't take my b-vitamins, I ate horribly and skipped meals, and didn't stay hydrated. Guess what? had my first panic attack in several months on Sunday after 3 days of this. I am trying to get back on track today but I am exhausted and my muscles are achy.

Americandancer, do you mostly have anxiety or do you have full blown panic disorder (i.e. lots of panic attacks all the time)? How are you feeling lately?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Americandancer, I just saw your post on the anxiety board about Klonopin. Klonopin, Xanax (alprazolam) or Ativan will definteily help you sleep. I have been taking alprazolam for two years and I love it. My dr also says some people are on it for the rest of their lives. I just wanted to try an AD to see if I could reduce how much Xanax I have been taking. The last few months have been particularly rough on me and i was taking a few pills a day, much more then "as needed." But if oyu can take it and just keep it on an as needed basis, that is ideal. Doesn't have the side effects of ADs either. They might make oyu a little drowsy, but that goies away.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Hi mjewell. I do have full blown panic disorder, with lots of anxiety, if that makes sense. I guess I am trying to treat the anxiety with the ad's. I take alprazolam for the panic attacks. I usually don't worry about taking medicine, but I do worry about withdrawal from the effexor. I agree staying with the smallest dose possible will probably lesson the effect. I have read that you have to be above 200mg of effexor to get the benefit for anxiety...don't know if that is true or not. I would much prefer to take the klonopin or continue with alprazolam instead of take any ad. I only take my alprazolam as needed and it has not been very often lately. I don't think my dr. has a problem prescribing it to me, but I do worry if one day he does. It is truly a lifesaver for panic attacks. I would like to see if getting by with less sugar/caffeine, exercising and taking the alprazolam on an as needed basis will control my anxiety. What do you think? I think if I am going to stop the effexor, I need to do it now before I get too much built up in my system. When I don't get very much sleep or have too much alcohol, I definately have more attacks the next day, as you mentioned.

Last edited by americandancer; 07-11-2005 at 08:29 PM.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

mjewell, I just wanted to say that I think it is very responsible of you to know that you are taking more of the xanax than you are comfortable with and trying the effexor. I hope it works for you.
Kelly

Old 07-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Really, more than 200 mg? That is crazy because I already can tell its making a difference. Maybe that just wears off eventually if you don't contineu to up your dose. I want to go off ADs also. I would be ok with taking alpraz for the rest of my life as long as it was just occassionally and not every day.

I think a lifestyle change (healthy eating and exercise) will definteily help you. As we start feeling better from the Effexor and the healthy lifestyle, hopefully we will build up the confidence to get off the AD. Looks like we will be in it together

oh, by the way, I took both Klonopin and Ativan for a while and I didn't like them as much as alpraz. You can't feel them working right away like you can with alprazolam. Tha instant relief effect is what calms me down. I would continue with the alprazolam if I were you, especially if you don't have to take it very often.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #14

laurgan HB User

Hi,

Keep in mind that it is typical of boards like this that you will hear the negative stories. Many people who are here regularily are still fighting disorders. What you will likely not hear is the success stories as people are better and are no longer seeking advise.

With that in mind, I have been on Effexor XR with good success for about a year and a half. I was previuosly on Luvox which made me very sleepy a lot of the time. Effexor XR has no such side effects with me. I'm on 150mg per day and I take them before bed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Laurgan

Old 07-12-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Hi mjewell! We are in this together it seems. I think we have a lot of the same symptoms. I wouldn't wish this on anybody, but it is nice to have someone who understands.
laurgan, I agree. I am almost addicted to these boards trying to find some relief. It is consuming! Of course, I am not teaching this summer, so I have more time. But, I think I am looking for some kind of magic cure....something that has worked for someone else that didn't "poop out" on them, make them gain 30 pds, or cause them withdrawal issues. I don't know if that is possible. I do agree whoever has found something to help is out living their life. I'm not saying people on the board are not doing that....I just know for me, if I was much better, I wouldn't be sitting here looking for a cure. If I ever found that special something, I would come here and post about it. though!
I can't remember where I read that about the effexor being over 200mg, but it was on the board somewhere. I didn't know if that was factual or not. I think the less you need of anything, the better!

Last edited by americandancer; 07-12-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Closed Thread