It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
(male)

Photog88 HB User
Got a script for Xanax, how does it make you feel?

(((I posted this same message in the "Anxiety" forum as well.)))

Ok, here's the deal. Ive had panic attacks for the past 10 years starting when i was 18. The first five years of it was very difficult to find proper help. My dr. at the time put me on Dramamine (sp?) for dizziness. The dr. at the emergency room just kept asking me what drugs i was on to cause my blood pressure and pulse to be high. Needless to say, the first few years dealing with anxiety and panic were very frustrating because no one really seemed to know what anxiety/panic was.

Bla bla bla, finally, I found out about panic and anxiety from my own research and got tests done to know that I was really in perfect health and that it definately was Panic and Anxiety.

So from 1995-2000 I delt with my problem all by myself. I never saw any psychiatrists or really talked to anyone about it. I had the occasional panic attack and felt anxious when doing daily things and avoided doing lots of social things.

In 2000 my anxiety and panic flared up right after i graduated college and moved from NYC to San Diego. I went back to the dr and he put me on Paxil. Paxil was a life saver for me and I lived completely normal and some days didnt even think about anxiety interfearing with anything.

I decided it was time to kick paxil and taperd off over the WORST two months of my life. I try not to be bitter towards Paxil and Smith Klein for not really revealing any of the HORRIBLE side affects when coming off paxil, because for a while, Paxil was my life saver.

Anyway, For the past 3 months my anxiety, panic and depression have been the worst EVER. I went to my new dr. and he put me on Zoloft and also wrote me a scrip for Xanax. I wasnt new to SSRI's but Im scared stiff to take the Xanax. I really reseach the hell out of anything that I'll take and Im looking for some answeres about Xanax. Ive read all about what it does chemically and all the potential side affects/addiction issues. What I can not find in my research is how it will really make you feel.

I am (or was) a very active person. I am really into bodybuilding. Exercise and nutrition are very important to me and Im constantly looking to put on more and more muscle and get in the best shape possible. How does this relate to Xanax? Well, I've read and heard that Xanax usually makes you feel calm and kinda sleepy. Feeling this way will not work well when you need to get really "pumped" and have the energy to hit the weights HARD.

So my main questions are:

1 How does taking xanax make you feel, physically (tired, calm or "just fine")
2 How does Xanax make you feel mentally - does it tell your brain that "everything is OK" or is it more of just a physical feeling?
3 What immediate side affects can I expect (nausea, trembling exc.)
4 Please list any other areas of importance that I can expect.

I seem to be at an all time low in my life right now. My self esteem is very low due to the anxiety and depression, furthermore, I have lost almost 30lbs in the past 3 months from not lifting and eating right. I have ALWAYS felt better (anxiety wise) when I am in shape and have a good physical self image.

I just want to feel level again and be able to hit the weights hard again and get my business back on trac.

Sorry this was so long, i ramble

Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Got a script for Xanax, how does it make you feel?

Well, first of all I'm a 5 foot tall 105 pound Woman so to be honest I've never been into weight lifting so I don't have any idea how the Xanax will or won't affect your weight training.

I don't take Xanax anymore...I don't have panic/anxiety problems anymore...but to answer your questions.

1. The best way I can describe how it made me feel is in one word "Normal".
I have heard that it does make some people tired at first, but I'm not sure if they may be related to what dose you take...I took a very small dose.

2. Again I would use the word "Normal", I wasn't scared all the time.
I didn't feel fuzzy or dizzy I felt the way I felt before I had panic and anxiety problems.

3. I had no side effects at all, like I said above I have heard people say that when they first start taking it they are a little tired, but that never happened to me, also as I stated above that may have to do with the small dose I was on.

4. Some people will tell you that the devil himself created this drug...these are the people who have had problems with dependence or tolorance....others will tell you that it's the be all and end all for taking away a panic attack...I fall somewhere in the middle.
I don't have anything bad to say about it, because I had no problems at all with it...I took the same dose everyday for 7 years and never once did I up the dose, I never felt like I "HAD" to have it, some people say they can feel when it wears off...that never happened to me.
I weaned off of it with the help of my Doctor when I didn't have panic/anxiety problems any more and I had no withdrawl symptoms at all.
But I also know that some people do have a problem with it, so that's why I'll never say it's the best for everyone, because everyone is different.
One thing I will say, it's something my Dr. told me, he said "Just because the bottle says you can take "X" amount "X" amount of times a day doens't mean you have to take that much." "If you can take less that's wonderful, but never ever for any reason take more."
In fact I took half of the dose that I was prescribed, perhaps that's why I never had a problem with it and was able to stay at the same dose for that length of time.
He also told me that if I ever felt that I needed to take more than the prescribed amount to stop, not take more and call him.

Hope that was of some help.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran

Comptons HB User

I agree with Graciecat - xanax (like most meds) affects people differently. I'm also a small woman. I would take half a pill as needed. I never took it every day - just when anxiety was getting out of hand and I needed to get back on track. For me it just calmed me down. For others - it put them right to sleep. I would suggest that you start with half the dose - or perhaps just take one if you need it at the moment. It's not one of those drugs that has to get into your system to begin working. It works immediately - so you can take as needed. If you're having a lot of anxiety I definitely would give it a try. For me, just knowing that I have some helps me to make it through. It's been two years since I've taken one, but the bottle is still in my purse...

Old 08-03-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Agree with graciecate and Comptons on everything, especially only taking it as needed. I just want to add that for me, Xanax has been a godsend. It makes you feel very calm - I was skeptical about it too because my thought is, how can something that relaxes your body affect your mind and turn it off? My mind is what causes my anxiety after all. I don't know how it works, but it works mentally too, at least for me. It gives me an overall sense of well being and even gives me motivation and focus sometimes. It does make me a little drowsy, even after two years of taking it, but as long as you don't take it within a couple hours of your workout I would think you would be ok.

I am a runner and workout regularly, usually once I get going the tiredness goes right away and doesn't affect my workout at all.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Xanax was also a godsend for me.
1. Normal again
2. You should be able to think more clearly, or at least I could.
3. A little tired, in the beginning.
4. Like the others said, take the smallest amt. you need. Like graciecat said, just because the bottle says take X amt. 3 times a day doesn't mean you have to. You might can just get by with 1 or 1/2 the whole day.
I also know from experience that if you just started the zoloft, you will probably need the xanax. I think zoloft is fine once it gets in you system, but when I first started it, I would have really bad shakes and trembling. That is probably why he gave you the xanax to go with the zoloft.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I agree with what everything everyone has said here.I never took xanax but i took clonopin which is another benzo.Same for me on clonopin it just made me feel normal again.I got back to doing all the things I used to.Yes I felt fatigued pretty often,but once I made myself get going I was fine It was like i would forget about the tiredness.Also as someone else mentioned you may be able to just take one when you feel it is needed instead of every day.
Benzo's do usualy work very fast... for me that first pill I took made me all better in about 15 to 20.

good luck I hope you feel good again soon

Old 08-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
(male)

Photog88 HB User

Thank you everyone for replying, I really appreciate it.

Im coming to the conclusion that i will only take it when things get bad. I seem to be averaging about 2 panic attacks a week right now, so maybe I'll only need the Xanax then. My dr. wrote me a script for the lowest mg of the drug (.25mg). Im pretty big, 6'2" and I weight about 230lbs. Like I said, Im into bodybuilding and I use to be around 260lbs.

Well, next time i start to feel the ol' throat closing up and start getting the dizzy spins, perhaps I'll pop a Xanax.

oh, how long does it take to "feel" it, and how long does the effects of the drug last? Could I finally be able to make it through a flight from CA to NYC again?

Again, thanks for all your replies.

Bill

Old 08-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

The clonopin took 15 to 20 I have heard xanax is about the same some say less.If it doesnt work ask about upping your dose.As far as flying my advice would be for you to take a xanax before you go on the plane.They typicaly last 6 to 8 hours well for me it did...........remember we are all different and meds affect us differently sometimes so just keep in touch with doctor with any concerns

good luck

Old 08-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

As a big guy you may need to take two for particularly stressful times like flying, my husband is 6'4 260 and he couldn't really even feel the .5 I gave him to fly...of course he doesn't experience anxiety like we do, just a slight uneasiness about flying, so maybe he just didn't feel all that different because he wasn't anxious in the first place. Just try one before your flight and see how you feel, if you need to take another that is perfectly ok. I usually have to take 2 before a flight (I space them about an hour apart) and then sometimes another one if its a long flight.

Xanax works in about 20-30 minutes and usually for me lasts about 4-5 hours.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:26 PM   #10
Inactive

Hyperspace HB User
Wink Re: Got a script for Xanax, how does it make you feel?

"Got a script for Xanax, how does it make you feel?"

GOOD

Old 08-05-2005, 11:26 PM   #11
(male)

Photog88 HB User

Well, I met with my new dr. today (friday) for the first time on my new health insurance. We talked about the Zoloft and Xanax issues I've been having. She told me to stay on the Zoloft (even though it's not really working) unitl i meet with my new shrink next week. She also told me that 50mg of zoloft is usually the "starting" dosage, and that may be of concern

Ive never been to a psychiatrist, not too sure of what to expect; is it like in the movies with the couch and all? My dr. said that that a psych dr. could better help me with anxiety/panic/depression issues.

Well, its another Friday night and I blew off my plans agian (to go out and watch my friends band play). I guess I'll sit at home by myself and watch yet another DVD. Did anyone see "Prozac Nation" with Christina Ricci? It was depressing, but kind of comforting to watch it especially if you deal with depression. Also, "Garden State". It's about a guy who is on just about every psych drug out there and decides to come off of them. I really recommed Garden State. Check it out.

Peace...Bill

Old 08-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I haven't seen Garden State, but I have seen Prozac Nation and I thought it was awesome! It was depressing and comforting at the same time. When I saw a psychologist, we just worked on relaxation techniques and visualization (sp?) to calm down. He also did hypnosis, but I didn't like that. Good luck with your appt.!

Closed Thread