It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
(male)

209mayne HB User
Does it take you a while to recover from panic attacks?

I have only suffered 2 panic attacks due to anxiety i hope, after my second panic attack it took me one whole week to recover from it, after the attack i felt nauseated for a week, didnt feel like eating for a couple of days and when i did eat it made me feel not good, anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

chaser3968 HB User
Re: Does it take you a while to recover from panic attacks?

the effects of a panic attack on me can last for a couple of hours and i am sure its different on everybody. i have a hard time coming back to reality and getting over the physical symptoms like you have. i have found klonopin really helps. good luck to you. i hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to mayne panic attacks are unpleasant but wont harm you, lots of details on the net, any valium type med disolved under the tongue helps recovery

Old 09-26-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It depends on how severe the panic attack in question is. I literally get panic attacks every day (I don't have panic disorder, just OCD), and the particularly bad ones will affect me for the rest of the day- usually have them at school, so once I get home, I'm shaken, both figuratively and literally- my hands and legs just involuntarily shake. It's as if I can actually feel my almost worthless parasympathetic nervous system trying to calm me down, and I feel a big rush of relief, but the aftereffects (jitters) still remain...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-26-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
(male)

209mayne HB User

well my first panic attack came from fatigue and i didnt know what it was it took me a week to recover 2 months later i got a SEVERE panic attack where my heart was going at the speed of light and i literally thought i was dyin, didnt even bother calling 911 because i thought by the time they got there it was over, i thought i was gonna die, it took me a week to get better after that panic attack which lasted 30 mins max, but to fully recover from that attack took me a month, are those symptoms of ms?

Old 09-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

You mean multiple sclerosis, right? Absolutely not symptoms. MS is a degenerative neurological disease, characterized by the demyelineation of axons, causing involuntary muscle movements and paralysis- what you described is a pure panic attack.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #7
(female)

dwallech HB User

My husband has had these attacks and the effects can last from hours to days depending on the severity of the attacks. He found out through testing he lacks serotonin and has been on Paxil for a while. His attacks are very rare and do not last long if he does get one. They then upped his dosage and so far he has not had any attacks. The doctor says you need serotin for the fight of flight, and some people do not have enough or any of this in their body. My husband is so glad he went on Paxil and it has truly been such a big difference for him and his outlook on life. It took 6-8 weeks for it to have any kind of effect as it has to build up in the body in order for it to work. Hope this helps!

Old 10-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
(female)

ilovethenow HB User

I had a pretty bad one early morning last Monday. They're so EXHAUSTING! I took a klonopin and settled down enough to go to work that day (the fact that I HAD to be at work that day may have been part of the reason for the attack...), but the rest of that week, I went home every day after work and slept til the next morning. It feels so good to be able to do that!

Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
(female)

Wintermoon HB User

I have had panic attacks since I was 19 y/o - am now 52. There are differing severities of each attack. The thing that helped me the most after years of suffering and not knowing if I was dying or not, was learning to breathe correctly. Don't take deep breaths through your mouth, only through your nose. You cannot hyperventilate through your nose (the last thing you need on top of panic is to hyperventilate, right?). Push the air out through your nose (hold a kleenex underneath if you have to) and push that excess carbon dioxide out so the oxygen can take it's place. Your body is craving oxygen during an attack and it's what helps to set things right again.

I've had attacks that took me weeks to get over. It's not uncommon to be terribly shaken by them. Stay away from caffeine (including aspirin, which contains caffeine) and try to eat healthy things and drink fresh juices, both vegetable and fruit. You can do yourself a big favor by staying away from aspartame, which is in everything these days, even certain heartburn meds. Nothing is worse for the nervous system than aspartame. Sugar isn't good either, but it's safer than chemical concoctions, including Splenda, Sweet 'n Low and Equal, too.

God Bless!

Old 10-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

see a doctor recovery from a panic attack shouldnt take long, but if very scared by it yoiu can worry and fear more panic attacks for a long time

the best med for panic attacks believe it or not, is valium which can be difficult to get

Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #11
(female)

rustyx2 HB User

i have begun having panic attacks daily and was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue. when the adrenals don't work right, which many peoples don't due to poor diet and stress, it can cause an imbalance of the body. When my panic is severe it takes me a long time to get over it. i think that it is normal. it kinda makes me blue the rest of the day. aspartame panics me badly also. another thing i have found is i was sensitive to many foods and when i eat them i suffer from worse panic attacks. a simple blood test showed me what i was sensitive to and i am pretty good about staying away from these foods.

Closed Thread