It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
(female)

DxCrazy HB User
How do you manage your stress?

I am curious to know what everyone's technique for stress management is? I have experienced panic attacks for about 5 years now. I have been on Anti depressants in the past and did not like the way they made me feel so I have been trying to handle my panic attacks on my own for the past couple of years with some success.

When my panic attacks first started I would experience my hands tingling, a feeling of suffocating, feeling like I was going to die, scared to sleep because I thought I wouldn't wake up, headaches, muscle tension, indigestion, and heart palpitations. Throughout the past couple of years these symptoms have really decreased and I haven't experienced very many panic attacks until a month ago. My husband had minor surgery, we sold our house and we purchased a new one........so I have been under a little bit of stress which has now manifested its self in panic attacks!! So lately I have been exxperiencing the usual...indigestion, heart skipping a beat, and muscle tension along with a lack of sleep. I have been to the doctor's in the past about the heart palpitation but they have checked me out and said that nothing was wrong and pretty much concluded that it was from stress. Does everyone who experiences the heart palpitations take meds for it? I don't want to be placed on meds for this because the only thing I have is a feeling as though my heart skips a beat and then it is normal again. It happens on average about 10-20 times per day but not back to back I can go hours in between and not experience any and then all of the sudden have one missed beat and then be fine again. My heart never races nor do I have any other cardic symptoms and when my stress finally goes away so do the palpitations.

So if anyone can give me any suggestions on how to manage my stress better I'm willing to listen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: How do you manage your stress?

Awhile back, my palpitations were so bothersome I went for an EKG. It was normal, but my doctor gave me Atenolol (a beta-blocker) to keep my heart from racing or fluttering. It worked really well. She also gave me Zantac 150 for indigestion, and Soma for muscle tension. I changed doctors because of insurance changes and went in because of panic attacks. My current doctor tried me on Paxil, but I hated it, so now I take Xanax as needed. In fact, all the meds were taken as needed (not every day) except the Atenolol. I stopped taking Atenolol awhile back, but if my panic attacks get worse (they are under control now), I would ask for another prescription.

I would say the most useful medicine is the Xanax. Other than that, trying to simplify my life whenever I can helps, along with good breathing techniques, plenty of rest, good nutrition and drinking water all help. If your palpitations are the most bothersome, ask your doctor about a beta-blocker. If you don't want to take medicine, just remember that the palps won't hurt you and are especially common with stress and perimenopause.

Last edited by SRMom; 12-07-2005 at 02:48 PM.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #3
(female)

DxCrazy HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. I really need to learn some good breathing techniques and some other stress management techniques. As far as the palpitations go at this point they are worrisome but nothing I can't deal with when they do occur it stresses me out but hopefully they will soon stop. I just keep telling myself that this is all in my head and that I will be fine. I have been to the doctor in the past and they have assured me that nothing is wrong with my heart so this is what I keep telling myself.

Has anyone ever noticed there panic attacks are worse when they have PMS? This is usually the case with mine.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Yes, I am really prone to panic attacks a couple of days before I start and also a couple of days into my period. I'm usually fine the rest of the month. I only have migraines around my period too. I've asked the doctor about this, even tried to go on birth control to see if I could get rid of some of these hormonal symptoms, but I actually felt worse on the pills...so now I just tough it out (panic attacks) with breathing in and out deeply and slowly, or I take a Xanax if it's really bad.

Closed Thread