It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

clarissairene HB User
Do the meds docs prescribe take anxiety/ panic attacks away forever?

Hello,

So i see alot of you are getting better with the meds. My quesiton is... does it take anxiety/ Panic attacks away completely or does it just lessen them for you?

Thanks for any feed back!

Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
(female)

mackenzie61 HB User
Re: Do the meds docs prescribe take anxiety/ panic attacks away forever?

Hi,

When I took paxil for two years, my panic attacks stopped completely and I was much, much less anxious about things. I weaned myself off of it this spring, hoping that it had made a permanent change in my brain chemistry or that relaxation techniques would work better for me this time. Unfortunately, I started having panic attacks again about a month ago, so I'm back on paxil again.

I'll be interested to see what other answers you get. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

Lahaunna HB User

Like the other person that replied to this when I took Paxil it made my anxiety go away completely and I was a normal person again and who I used to be before my panic attacks started. But when I dont have insurance anymore so I am not able to afford to go to the doctor and get the medicine and I am having panic attacks again. So if anyone has any ideas how I can try and get it somehow cheaper I would be very interested to know!

Old 12-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I think it depends on the person. I don't have panic disorder- just severe situational panic attacks that occur 1-3 times per day. My main problem is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, which the panic attacks are a symptom of. Anyway, I was on Zoloft (up to 250 mg) for two-and-a-half years, and though it did help somewhat with my OCD, it did absolutely nothing for my panic attacks. Now I'm on Prozac, and again, not helping the panic attacks whatsoever. So far, the only thing that works for my panic attacks is a Klonopin, but since I take the 0.125 wafer (have 0.5 for REALLY bad attacks- the dentist...), it gets rid of my panic almost instantaneously, but if I have more than one panic attack that day, it doesn't help. I only take it in the morning for the panic attacks associated with going to my classes. I don't know why, but the SSRI's were never effective for me as far as panic attacks go...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Nothing I have taken has ever stopped the anxiety and panic completely for me, but I haven't really given anything a fair chance either. Benzos like Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin don't stop the attacks unless you are taking them several times a day. I woudln't want to do that since they are addictive, so i just take them as needed.

Anti-depressants are more effective for preventing anxiety and panic on a day to day basis but it is sometimes hard to find one that works for you.

I have taken Zoloft and Effexor (neither of which i gave the time to work properly), and now I am taking lexapro. i have been on it for about 3 months. The first month I was virtually anxiety free, but now it has come back again, and I have been panicky almost every day, so I'm not sure if the Lexapro is working for me. I'll give it another month or so (after the holidays) and see how I do. If I am still having anxiety I might go back to the dr and try something else.

My dr. makes me fill out these little mental health quizzes everytime i go in and if I score below a certain percent she says my med probably isn't working. She says when you have found the right med you should not be experiencing severe anxiety, panic or depression ever.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Mjewell, that's interesting about the mental health quizzes. What kind of questions do they ask? I wish my dr. used that approach. He still prescribes the alprazolam because he thinks even though ad's may work at reducing the amt. of anxiety and panic attacks, you can still have breakthrough anxiety and the alprazolam is for that. I can't remember...do you have anxiety only or panic disorder too? I think your dr's approach is good because then you don't have to waste so much time trying an antidepressant to see if it will work. My dr. still loves the zoloft and just keeps wanting to up the dose when I say I don't think it's working. He did that with other meds also. He also said maybe we were running out of options and I should see a counselor, but I've already done the CBT and it works, but not right in the middle of a panic attack!

Old 12-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

what's the difference between panic disorder and anxiety?

i only have symptom of dizziness...can;'t tell if it's the dizziness that's causing my panic or the panic that's a result of my dizzy spells....catscan was clear....it's my only symtpom!

Old 12-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Panic disorder is where you have an actual "attack". You feel like you have to get out of the situation you're in or away from it. I have many symptoms during an attack, mostly derealization, shaking, heart pounding...I have suffered from dizziness also, but I think it is from anxiety. You would know if you were having an actual panic attack.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

i tend to get dizzy spells when i'm out in a store or somewhere where i think i'm tied in....espeically when i'm in line.....or with the customer service person.....i can't leave when in middle of transaction...that's when i get dizzy but also when i'm just going thru aisles of grocery store...wondering if i'll have an 'attack'. my heart has been racing lately before i go to bed...then each night i get attacks wondering if i'll have the heart racing thing each night....all this seems to be panic attack or anxiety clear cut but my doc is having blood work drawn up for me to see if it's something else......he doesn't seem willing to accept it's anxiety so i don't have the benefit from any meds yet....what do you guys prefer? xanax, paxil?

thanks.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

The questions are things like "do you cry more often than you used to," "are you able to focus at work," "have you felt nervous/shaky in the last week" stuff like that. You are supposed to answer for the last week so she knows how you have been feeling in the last few days. I think it is a great approach too. I am really lucky to have found her, she is actually an obgyn, but man is she smart. I guess she is lecturing new doctors in my area about how to ask questions and learn how to treat anxiety and depression better rather than just doling out prescriptions.

Anyway, I have general anxiety AND panic attacks, lucky me. I have had 3 or 4 panic attacks in the last few weeks so I don't think the Lexapro is working anymore. I need to make an appointment with her. Unfortunately lately I have been back to taking 2 xanax a day.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
(female)

sar_nicky HB User

mine went away completely after some time.. a month or two.. but i also felt funny while on medications, so i decided to stop taking them after talking to a psychologiist about ways to help control my attacks without medications.. i rarely have them now, and when i do, i can keep them under control

Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Thanks, mjewell. I know what you're going through. She does sound like a great doctor. Let me know what she thinks if you decide to see her about the lexapro. Does she also prescribe your xanax? I am leary of changing doctors, because my family doctor understands I need the alprazolam at times and doesn't mind prescribing it. But then I read these posts of people whose doctors refuse to prescribe it, and that's pretty scary! I'm worried if I change, instead of getting a dr. who helps more, I'll get one who doesn't believe in benzos.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I am not sure the meds would ever be like a cure for anyone because our bodies tend to build up a tolerance for them and we need more and more.The lonegst I have ever been on medication for anxiety was 2 years (paxil and klonopin) they both did the job though I didnt experiance much anxiety at all for that whole 2 years.I had to deal with feeling sleepy pretty often,but overall I guess it was better then feeling anxiety ridden day in and out.

No I dont believe they are a cure I think it would be tons better to learn to condition our minds to push the anxiety away before it can over run us.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:54 PM   #14
(female)

Irish_Eyes1980 HB User

I am currently on 50mg of Sertraline (Zoloft) daily and it has drastically help with my panic attacks. I do still have break through episodes but nothing close to what I was dealing with on a daily (actually a nightly) basis before the medication. I know that there are people out there that can deal with their panic/anxiety without medications and God I wish I was one of them. It is different for everyone and some are "cured" after being on a medication for a certian amount of time and others remain on the medication forever.
Personally, It was a very hard decision for me to start the medication as I have always been a heathy person and have never really been on any medications before. The worst part for me was that I had to admit that something was wrong to the Dr and hardest of all to myself. but I am glad I did. Although I am not fully "cured" of my attacks I am definately living a better quality of life then I was before the medication.

Stay strong, you CAN deal with all of this!

Last edited by Irish_Eyes1980; 12-29-2005 at 02:00 PM.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

I started zoloft for panic anxiety disorder and the first couple weeks I have more anxiety and a few extra panic attacks but it was like I woke up one day and felt great! I have no had any panic attacks since then but I do have anxiety that can be bad the day before my period or the day after I drink alcohol (if I have liquer). It's been, I guess almost a year I've been on it. I have been thinking of going off but by the 3rd day I get head zaps and weird vibrations through my body so, I get back on it. I've read that it takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a couple of months to get over the withdrawl symptoms. I have a feeling that I'm going to be one of the people that will need AD's or xanax or something to keep it at bay. My boyfriend went on paxil CR for a while for his panic attacks and it went off it and it's been about 10 months and he's not have any panic, anxiety or fears at all. I don't know what it was but something just snapped in his head to where he didn't think or feel this way anymore. I wish I knew what it was but he say's he don't even know what it was... It just happened.
T.

Closed Thread