It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

hayleigh HB User
Is This Panic Attacks? Please Help

Hi, Can anyone please help with this question: I have recently been feeling unwell with pains in my chest on the left side, a feeling as if i cannot get my breath, tight chest, A sudden feeling of being very hot and then almost immediately a feeling of coldness accompanied by shivering.I am also getting a pins and needles sensation in my finger tips. It feels as though i am dying from a heart attack and i feel all faint and dis-orientated. When the symptoms occur i feel like i want to get away from the situation but can't. I have seen my doctor and had an ecg on my heart and they said it was all clear. But i am still worrying. I am now every day thinking of when this feeling will happen again. I have no warning it can be day or night. And it started with 1 and now im getting this 2/3 times a day. Has any one got any ideas what this is or how i can pl;ease stop it. I hate this feeling and it is starting to freak me out, especially if i go to a shop and get the symptoms i think im going to die of a heart attack in the shop or something. Any info on this would be much appreciated please.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User
Re: Is This Panic Attacks? Please Help

I've had panic disorder for the past 5-6 years and that definatley sounds like what's going on when I read your story too. Yes, it definately sounds like you're having panic attacks. As far as stopping them, some medications can stop them immediately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

hayleigh HB User

Thanks Nuttyprof. Can you recommend anything to help, Ive tried to do some deep breathing exercises which help a little, but im constantly thinking of when the next attack will happen. All i want is to get back to normal and not feel this way. Also after you have had an attack do you feel tired and have a pain in the left side of your breast .
Many thanks for your reply, at least i have some kind of answer to what this is.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleigh
Thanks Nuttyprof. Can you recommend anything to help, Ive tried to do some deep breathing exercises which help a little, but im constantly thinking of when the next attack will happen. All i want is to get back to normal and not feel this way. Also after you have had an attack do you feel tired and have a pain in the left side of your breast .
Many thanks for your reply, at least i have some kind of answer to what this is.
There are a few different kinds of medications that may help. Benzodiazepines are sometimes referred to as "immediate drugs", because they work right away and allow many people to take them on an as needed basis.

"Delayed drugs", like antidepressants can take over a month to start finally helping you with panic attacks.

I have never had any success with coginitive behavioral therapy although some panic sufferers love it and it helps them.

There are a few books out there written by Dr. Claire Weekes which can be very beneficial, especially if you keep reading them over and over. Except her books were written a while ago and I don't think they used the term "panic disorder" then. It was just simply referred to as nervous suffering or nervous breakdowns.

It could also be that you havent developed full blown panic disorder yet and maybe you never will. You could be just going through something temporary right now. But the worrying about when the next attack will come is definately very characteristic of panic disorder. The disorder is less about panic attacks and more about anticipitation about having them.

As far as pain goes, I don't have breasts because I am male but I can say Iv'e had pains from head to toe. How we interprut the pain or so called "weird sensations" our bodies are giving us is also a big component of panic disorder. You will learn if you truly have panic disorder that it can seem so complex and it starts to become very personal on a day to day basis in the ways you feel you can overcome or live with panic disorder. There really is no right or wrong way to treat it. If you do see a psychiatrist, the two classes of medications I mentioned above will be the ones most likely prescribed to you if your doctor thinks you have panic disorder.

There are, in extreme cases (or what the doctor percieves as a complicated case), situations where psychiatrists mess around or experiment with a few different types of pyschiatric drugs other than benzodiazepines and antidepressants.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
(female)

hayleigh HB User

Thanks for your reply, that really helps. I have been back to my doctor who thinks I need to see a psychiatrist, but im not to keen on this as ive heard so many different stories about this. But i will mention the meds you have talked about. Once again thankyou.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
(male)

tucker73 HB User

I've had panic attacks since the mid 1960's. I didn't take anything for them for a very long time, i didn't know what they were. Every time i checked into a Hospital they would tell me that i was fine. My symtoms are: rapid heart beat, sweaty palms, dry mouth, very cold feeling to the point of shaking,numbness in the arms and legs, lightheadedness, ringing i the ears. it doesn't scare me quite like it used to because i know now what it is. After a very bad Motorcycle accident i was given Ativan for phantom pain and i noticed the panic attacks stopped.

I'm trying to taper off it again. ( off for two months in 2004 ) but it's hard because as one person put it they would feel normal with it and lousy with out it.

Closed Thread