It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
Anyone with jaw pain with panic?

I was looking over the symptoms for Panic and I noticed that jaw pain (tension) was one of them.

For the past month I've been experiencing chest tightness WITH jaw pain when I am relaxed and simply out of the blue. I think I will need to go to yet another cardiologist (the 1st one thinks I have anxiety only and nothing's wrong). I've been down this road before, but never for jaw pain AND chest pain, just chest.

The jaw pain could be associated with two lower teeth that are receeding, so this is why I am so confused. Is it my teeth, are my arteries blocked or is it panic tension?

Okay, my question. Does anyone here also experince jaw pain with chest tightness when they are in panic mode?

Thanks for any replies!

Second can a panic attack come on when you are relaxed and for no "real reason". I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I have panic issues and have been taking Xanax from time to time. The Xanax helps with the pain/tension but the pain has ony been lasting for a little while anyway and usually goes away, so I can't tell if it's tension or real heart issues.

When this happens I just get all upset when I start feeling this way and get all worked up and a xanax is sometimes the only thing that calms me.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

anxiouslady HB User
Re: Anyone with jaw pain with panic?

Hi Live_Life_To_Love,
You're not alone in the jaw pain and panic department. I have serious health anxiety issues that cause me to constantly worry about my heart. I'm always convinced a heart attack is just around the corner.
Because of having such high anxiety, I began to clench my teeth. Wasn't even aware that I was doing it and it was happening mostly while I slept. As a result I've ended up with tmj. My jaw hurts a whole lot, the left side. Sometimes its so bad that I have to take a break while chewing food. At first when the jaw pain would hit, I would automatically start going through the symptoms of a heart attack in my head and before you know it, I had all of them. Chest pain, numbness, jaw pain, etc. The panic would then set in and it was all downhill from there. I have come to terms with my jaw pain but it still occassionally freaks me out if i'm not careful about talking myself down.
Your lower teeth could definitely be causing the problem. It could even be a bad upper tooth. I had massive facial and jaw pain back in October. Couldn't find anything wrong with the tooth on the outside. I had had some dental work done on that particular tooth (one of my top ones on the left side) 2 years previous so I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Went to the dentist and an x-ray revealed that the tooth was abcessed. The dentist had filled the cavity when in fact it should have had a root canal. The pain that the one upper tooth created was so bad that it radiated through my bottom jaw like crazy. Teeth can cause so much trouble.
Also, I am very familiar with panic attacks coming on for no reason at all, while being completely relaxed. Its called free floating anxiety which means that there really isn't a specific trigger and it tends to come out of the blue. The same thing happened to me quite often when I first started dealing with anxiety. The only med I take is Clonazepam (similar to your Xanax) to stop a panic attack from becoming full blown. At first I had a lot of panic attacks because I was in such denial about the fact that I had this disorder. I found that once I stood up and accepted the fact that I suffer from panic I was able to accept that the panic attacks could come at any time (even though I didn't want them to). Slowly but surely its gotten easier. Its been a little over a month since I had my last full blown panic attack and I have not even needed the Clonazepam at all. I still keep it with me at all times just to feel that I have a little back up.
Anyways sorry for the long post. Hope that my same feelings help you feel a little better about what you are going through.
Take care,

anxiouslady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Anxious lady -

Thanks for your post. It really made me feel better.

I had another episode today while driving. My jaw started to hurt, my chest got tight, my armpit (left) was aching. I had to pull over and have my husband drive. I have to add that I was in a very good mood and happy so I was a bit worried when I started to feel bad because this has been happening alot and more often lately and why today when everything was wonderful in my life? So, I popped a Advil (thinking if it helped than I don't have a problem with my heart). Well, it helped. The pain went away after 1/2 hour.

Thanks for your info about the TMJ.

But, I still wonder if actual "free floating" panic for no reason can cause jaw pain/tension and if anyone has had this type of pain that is not associated with bad teeth or something simliar to that?

And if it is panic related for me, why is it only the left side. Left armpit, left/center chest...the only thing that is not left but center but spreads is the jaw. Now, could it be that when I feel the jaw pain, I get anxious and them my chest gets tight and the armpit follows?

I've been living in fear latley. And it doesn't help that my doctors think nothing is wrong because I have panic issues. I keep telling them that when I feel something strange within my body that's when I panic. Isn't that normal? Especially when the pain in possibly associated with your heart.

Ahhhh...what can I do. I guess make yet another apoitment to see a cardiologist (a new one) and hope that nothing is really wrong. But I just don't know.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Live_Life_To_Love,
I know just how you're feeling. I too am tired of going to docs only to have them take once glance at my chart, notice that i have a panic disorder, and then dismiss everything I feel as being panic related.
Its funny you should mention that all of your aches are coming from the left side. Its the exact same thing with me. Pain and numbness in the left leg, left arm, left side of my chest, left side of my neck, ear, head, armpit you name it. I always think to myself that it has to be my heart because all of the pains are always on the left side. My therapist told me that the pains are everywhere but I am so worried about my heart that I tend to ignore the pain on the right side of my body and focus on the the left. What makes things worse is that I have fibrocystic breast disease and so I deal with a lot of pain in the breasts. It causes a large amount of panic for me because sometimes I can't tell the difference if its my breast or my heart. I hate it.
I've had panic attacks come out of the blue just like you. They've come while sitting here typing at the computer, watching tv, at the grocery store, in the house, etc. and I always question them too. Sometimes I see a trigger but other times I can't. I always think why now when I'm feeling just fine. It seems like a never ending cycle sometimes. How long have you had panic attacks? I started with them 4 months ago. I was seeing a therapist but stopped because it wasn't helping. The worst part for me is the constant worrying about my health. Anyways, hope you feel better tonight after your episode during the day today. Thanks for talking. It makes me feel better to know I'm not as alone as I feel with this.

anxiouslady

Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

see a dentist about jaw pain, clenching the jaw can make it close too far, also tooth grinding is common for anxiety sufferers when asleep

Old 01-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hry33: Thanks for responding. I am in the process of flixing my bottom two teeth that are receeding, but haven't started the process officially, I just went for a look see last week. He said the pain could be coming from those teeth. But what I don't understand is why the jaw pain and the chest pain always come at the same time? If it was my teeth then it should only be jaw?! And I don't THINK I clench my jaw or grind my teeth.

Anxious lady - Thanks for your post too. I seems we're both in the same boat and it makes me feel better. My panic has been coming and going for about a year now. It was primarily at night before bed. I would get flushed, my heart would race, my chest would get tight (I don't know if my jaw hurt though), and I would be in a state of panic. I was given Xanax for those episodes.

Now these episodes are coming throughout the day. My chest aches and then it's the jaw too or vise versa. But you know, if I take a Tylenol or Advil it seems to help.

I didn't want to tell my doctor at the last visit because I wanted to see if it could be my teeth causing the pain in the jaw. Now it's becoming more frequent and I'm scared.

I've made an appoitment with another cardiologist, I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Live_Life_To_Love,
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who started off with anxiety at night. That was how mine began and I was given Clonazepam. The attacks started happening throughout the day too as I progressed. Thankfully the Clonazepam has helped control them all.
Anyways, good luck with the cardiologist. In my opinion, I don't think advil or tylenol would be helping if it was a heart related thing but I'm sure the cardiologist will be able to put your mind to rest.
Make sure you let me know how it goes.
Take care and talk to you soon.
anxiouslady

Old 01-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Well I went to a very patient and thourough cardiologist today. He listed to me and didn't dismiss me; took me seriously and leaving his office I felt I was in great hands. My experience there was great.

He checked my heart with a EKG, ECHO and then we even did a Stress Test with Echo. All were fine. He is certain my heart is fine. There is no damage. In two days I will come back and have some of my arteries checked.

I feel so much better now. But after Thursday I will be dancing on the tables if it all comes back okay~

Old 01-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Live_Life_To_Love,
I'm so happy to hear everything went okay. How great it is that you found such a nice doctor. Hope you're dancing on the tables soon! Just think, Thursday will be here soon enough and all your worries will be relieved. Take care!

anxiouslady

Old 01-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

hi Live thats wonderful news! I am going through symptoms right now myself that have me scared its my heart too left arm pains,bit of chest,and NOW my calfs swell up sometimes sheesh ALWAYS something isnt it? I have a doctors appointment tomorrow hopely I can find something,anything out .........GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

Old 01-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

how did it go live? I went to the doctor and hopefully having the stress test with echo soon she said we would just watch the leg swelling and that the circulation in them seems good.....not really satisfied but what ya gonna do

let us know how it went

Old 01-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

I went great. He checked the arteries on my neck and one in my stomach, I guess these are the major ones. They looked perfect. I will not worry about my heart anymore. It's over! I promised this to myself and my family. Three doctors in three years cannot be wrong.

My jaw pain MUST be coming from my teeth. I am in the process of fixing them soon, so I guess this pain will come and go until they are fixed completely.

And my chest pain? Well, now I need to go to my Gastro doctor and see if my hiatal hernia could be causing this, although my Cardio said probably not?!

Maybe it all is simply panic. As much as I hate to admit it, I suffer from panic. Health panic to be exact. It's just when I feel any pain, especially when it's chromic and lasts for days, I think the worst and then my panic creeps in and I am doomed.

Thanks to everyone for posting and listening. Healthboards and the best!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

oh good glad its all fine.......i understand the health and then panic I do it also my mind gets stuck and obsesses on symptoms

Closed Thread