It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
Do you check your Blood Pressure with Panic?

Does anyone here check their blood pressure when they panic? If it's high, what do you do?

Old 02-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Do you check your Blood Pressure with Panic?

for most people it will be very high but this is normal and shouldnt be worried about

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User

Like 160/100? So if I am in panic mode and my numbers are this high I should just try to relax because I won't die if my numbers keep climbing?

Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 AM   #4
(female)

aquatilly HB User

Live-Life-to-Love I am wondering the same exact thing as you and I even saw you asking this in the blood pressure section. No one seems to have an answer, we'll have to just keep asking and hope that someone will shed some light.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Hello,

I asked my primary this the other day when I saw him, because my blood pressure is usually 120/80, sometimes lower, but the other day(I was wicked nervous over something) I tested my b.p. at Brooks Pharmacy and it read 148/94!! I was like OMG!! My doctor told me that as long as it is normal when I see him twice a year in his office not to worry about it. So, I'm not going to worry, because everytime I see him it is normal.

Melly

Old 02-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I wouldnt check my PB during a panic attack as a high reading would probably scare a person, mnaking the panic attack worse

Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Wink Re: Do you check your Blood Pressure with Panic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
I wouldnt check my PB during a panic attack as a high reading would probably scare a person, mnaking the panic attack worse
You got that right! LOL

MElly

Old 02-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
(male)

SteveGn HB User

A panic attack is the "fight or flight" response kicking in (adrenaline rush) which is designed to assist you - not harm you. Of course, its never healthy for the body to be under stress, but as far as the actual panic attack harming you while it is occurring - absolutely not! The "fight or flight" response allows us to better fight off the attacking bear or run from it faster. The only problem is that there is no bear (or any other physical threat) so we are left with very uncomfortable sensations. Even the "derealization" that usually occurs during panic, is nothing more than oxygen moving from the brain to the larger muscles and vital organs in preparation for the "fight or flight." All will return to normal and no harm will be done to you. Just coming to this realization can minimize the frequency of panic and even cause them to go away completely. That has certainly been the case with me.

Of course, stress over extended periods of time obviously is not good for us - nothing new there. People who have job stress, stress at home, social stress, etc... are doing harm to their health in the long term, as would be the case also with panic/anxiety - long term! Proper diet, exercise, meditation/mindfulness can lower the anxiety/stress levels and help ward off panic, as well as keep us healthy. I wrote more on all this, plus some suggestions, under the post "ugh, how much longer" by V Dubgirl (not sure exactly but close to those words). Hope I could be of some help! Steve

Old 02-11-2006, 02:34 AM   #9
(female)

aquatilly HB User

Well checking BP causes panic attacks for a lot of people, it's not that they are checking it during a panic attack, it's that every time they check it they have a panic attack, so what are you supposed to do, have someone check it while you are asleep and it's unknown you you.

Closed Thread