It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 05:52 AM   #1
(male)

mrslim HB User
Angry Anxiety/Nervousness/Flushing/Redness

Hi all,

How wonderful to find such a place as this to share this problem. Let me try and explain my problem as best as I can. (Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong areas).

My name is Dean and I am a 23 year old male working in the IT industry. I am a confident and outgoing person. Nobody I know would say I am a nervous or shy character. For the last year I have been suffering from what I will say is a facial flushing of the chest, neck and facial area. This seems to trigger when I feel anxious or nervous in a situation. For example, me simplying sitting round a table with a group of people or being in a crowd situation. When I feel the flushing begin I begin to panic even more and things then get worse. Then I usually would receive or expect a comment from somebody along the lines of 'What is wrong with your neck mate? It is all red and rashy? Are you ok?', this usually then triggers me right off and it progressively gets worse in that situation and I feel more uncomfortable and anxious.

When I think about this happening my heartbeat also increases, often so fast and heavy that I am unable to sleep or feel relaxed. Even as I sit here typing this I can feel my insides turn to butterflies and my heart is heavy in its beat.

I think half of the problem is knowing the flushing/redness can strike in any social moment or exposure. As I sit thinking and worrying about it, it begins to happen. I then check in the mirror and see the hideous redness.

It has started to ruin my everyday life, preventing me from attending any social event such as a drink in the local pub or a meeting at work. I finally admitted defeat today when I left work, pretending I was ill because it happened so bad.

I am relieved that I have found this forum as my starting point and any advice you can give is much appreciated. I have read online about this as best I can and I see that there is treatment avaliable in different ways. I have been taking 'Kalms' at a friends recommendation which I don't really think has helped me at all. If anyone can give me any advice, pointers or helpful information then it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can conquer this problem and move on in my life.

Kind regards,

--
{REMOVED}

{Please read and follow the posting rules. Posting off board contact information of any kind violates those rules. Ms_Mod}

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-27-2006 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Don't post off board contact information of any kind. Ms_Mod

The Following User Says Thank You to mrslim For This Useful Post:
Champton24 (02-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #2

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User
Re: Anxiety/Nervousness/Flushing/Redness

Please re-read the board posting policy.

Don't provide off board contact information of any kind, also don't cross post the boards ( Post your question on one board only )
The other posts have been removed...follow your post here.

Thanks,
Ms_Mod

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-27-2006 at 06:31 AM.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
(male)

mrslim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_mod
Please re-read the board posting policy.

Don't provide off board contact information of any kind, also don't cross post the boards ( Post your question on one board only )
The other posts have been removed...follow your post here.

Thanks,
Ms_Mod
Sorry about that! I wasn't sure which section to post it in also. Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited by mrslim; 03-27-2006 at 07:10 AM.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi Slim
blushing and fear of it can be a serious morale reducing problem, rather that searching for causes, its best to treat the symptoms, IMO

start with a heavy year round suntan of the area which helps to hide it, get some beta blocker tablets from doc, inderal is one and take 1 as needed, some valium as neeeded will also help if you can get any

\avoid the vitamin niacin which can cause redness and burning of skin
read up about rosacea on the internet, which may perhaps be involved

stay wiht us

Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
(male)

mrslim HB User

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure if I made this clear in my description, but I do not suffer from blushing at all. I am not a shy person and I don't blush that easily. This is an actual flushing from my chest, up my neck and to my face caused by some kind of nervous/paranoid reaction about it happening in the 1st place.

When I am in a social situation I feel myself getting warm, then I get anxious and worry the flushing will start.. 9 out of 10 times it does and it is terrible.

I was talking to my Mother about it and she said the problem is that I expect this to happen in these situations, it is on my mind and that is what triggers off the nervousness and flushing i guess?

Also the hardest part is the more people who notice and comment on it, the more this is damaging me psychologicaly and the worse I get in each social situation.

I am finding it so hard. Hope you or anyone else can help.

Last edited by mrslim; 03-27-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi mrslim: Your mom sounds like a smart lady. I have heard that beta-blockers help with flushing from anxiety. I have taken them before for palpitations and high blood pressure, but I noticed they reduced my panic attacks too. They help to keep your heart rate steady and keep the adrenaline from flowing unnecessarily, and in turn reduce the likeliness you will have a flushing attack. If this is happening the way you describe it, you may have developed a phobia and could benefit from some psychotherapy. Xanax or another benzodiazepine might help too.

Last edited by SRMom; 03-28-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
(male)

mrslim HB User

Thank you for your reply.

I have been to my doctor who has put me on 'Diazapam' and also booked me into see the councillor.

I will let you all know how things go. Thanks for your time so far.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

oceanssoul HB User

3 years ago I had the same exact thing as you did. And the flushing in the chest neck and face would burn. Once I would relax it would go away some but not all but once the anxiety was strong it came right back.

Closed Thread