It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

ladyofkypros HB User
My daughter has severe panic attacks about the weather... please help.

My 10 year old daughter has for the last 3 years or so been having panic attacks whenever bad weather approaches. In the beginning, it would only be once an actual storm was on us or even just when a TS or Hurricane would come, but in the last year or so, she watches the weather channel constantly, goes onto a weather website at least 5 or 6 times a day. I've gotten up at 6 am and found her at the computer looking at the radar scans. She will start to shake uncontrollably, cry and pace the floors back and forth. She will beg me over and over to check the weather channel and stand in the hallways with her ears covered because I guess she is afraid that the warning beep will be going off. Please note, my daughter has NEVER been through any type of traumatic experience where the weather is concerned. We live in a part of FL that has been very fortunate where hurricanes are concerned, we usually get bypassed or just skirted. She has never been through a tornadoe, flood, or anything like that. I think her babysitter got caught in some hail one day, but it was nothing that I think would have triggered this kind of a phobia. Needless to say, hurricane season is very stressful. Any words of advice. I DO NOT want her put on meds.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-14-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MiLuckiiStarz HB User
Re: My daughter has severe panic attacks about the weather... please help.

Thats how my panic attacks started. Maybe putting her on something isnt the best idea, but from my experiences Im much worse now than I ever was and I was never put on medicine when I was younger. When we panic, our worries arent "realistic". Thats why we overreact to things, such as the weather. I used to freak out whenever there was storms and I dont live in an area with severe weather, and I would do what she does. It gets worse and worse, and you move on to be afraid of other things. Maybe a therapist might help? I know when I was young I refused to talk to one. I dont know, but I do know they get worse, they go away for a little while then come back stronger and about other things, and the symptoms get worse...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Yeah that is probably your best bet is to get your daughter into therapy.I have been on and off medications in the past they did help me loads when at my worst.I do have to say though what has helped me the most is using the power of my mind very difficult to do when your in a big rut but not impossible.I had to recondition my mind ditch the negative and bring in the positive.At first it didnt seem to do any good but I kept at it and over time my thinking changed and I got better all round.A therapist experianced with anxiety/panic would try and teach your daughter this too.Let your daughter know she isnt crazy or going insane or abnormal.Tons of people have these issues it is alright to be in therapy it doesnt mean shes weak,crazy,insane.We all need help isome time or other in our lives and someone who can understand what we are going through.You are a great mother for being so concerned.

good luck

Last edited by tnmomofive; 07-23-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
(female)

jjules HB User

That is when my I first started having panic attacks is after I was almost in a tornado missed it by 5min. I was petrified whenever the sky looked black! Then it went away for the most part but I still need to be somewhere there is a basement just in case. My panic went elsewhere from there.
Finally got on medication after suffering for way too many years. Best to help her now....Jules

Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
(female)

piperanne HB User

When I started having my panic attacks years ago, I started developing fears of the strangest things. My panic attacks started eight months after giving birth. I walked my son to my moms, trying to lose that extra baby weight. The weather started getting really bad in the middle of our walk and I didn't know where to go or what to do. I ran to my moms.......by the time I got there it turned green and the clouds started rolling. I freaked and had a panic attack. I begged my brother like a little kid to please help me. I can't believe how compassionate he was. He sat down with me and calmed me down. That is the point where I started developing fear of the weather. I would watch the weather channel constantly. If it started raining my head would go into a fog and fear would just shoot thru my body. It was sooo bad. I wasn't on meds at that time . I stood in my own faith repeating I will love bad weather one day! I sought help thru a doctor and about six months of taking my meds and til this day..........I pray a good thunderstorm will come. I love bad weather. My point being, it's very real to your daughter. She's terrified. My heart bleeds for her because I understand first hand as I'm sure a lot of people on this board do. I would definitly get her into therapy because my concern is , she's obsessing over this.........she'll most likely start obsessing over something else too! My son is the same way and it scares me also because I'd die rather than have my boys to feel the fear of a panic attack. Nip it in the bud while she's still young and she'll probably forget the fear she ever had. But if you wait and she lives this way.......it will control her. Get her help! For her sake as well as yours! Good luck!

Closed Thread