It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
(male)

speced42 HB User
Smile Panic attacks at the Dentist

Hi there I am new here , I have had alot of dental work done in the past with no real problems in going to the dentist other then butterflies , As of acouple years ago I had a bad experiance at my old dentist since then I have switched dentists and found a really good one , Now i just can't seem to bring myself to go ,I have cancelled several appointments of late. the last time i was there for a checkup i had a real bad panic attack my Bp was way up 180/95 ,sweaty,lightheaded felt like i was going to pass out ,once I am in there I am not too bad but before hand I get freaked right out, Is there any natural remedies to try to take the edge off before and during a appointment , my dentist won't perscribe any thing says i have to see my family doctor for that, ........Any advice ......... thanks

Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
Re: Panic attacks at the Dentist

I don't know of anything natural. Maybe your family doctor could give you something just to get you through the appt.? Since you said you're okay once you're in there, I'd just continue to force yourself to go. Once you've gone, you'll see you did it and the next time might be easier. I'm scared of going to the dentist myself, so I know how you feel!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

The dentist is my biggest phobia, and causes me one of my worst obsessions, so believe me, I know how you feel! Klonopin is an absolute Godsend! If you're not against taking medication, I'd highly recommend that, 0.5 mg. I have only gone to two dentist appointments on Klonopin, the last two I went to. The first time I ever used Klonopin was at the dentist; it reduced my severe panic attack to a normal, every day one. The second time, I took more of it, and I was very relaxed, and it seemed to go much faster than ever before. I obsess about cavities because I've never had one, and any time I feel pain in my mouth, I press on my teeth to find the source of pain, as a checking compulsion. It's so bad for me that the mild panic attack I was already having before reading your post spiked when I saw the mention of the dentist. I can't watch any TV shows where they even slightly mention cavities, and if the character actually goes to the dentist, forget it! I agree with the previous poster that you need to make yourself go. I've never skipped an appointment because my fear of cavities is worse than my fear of going to the dentist to see if I actually have a cavity. Try Klonopin, though. It's simply wonderful! After living for 15 years without it, I appreciate it very much...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-18-2006 at 08:38 AM.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

mattsmom105 HB User

I had gone to the dentist for many many visits where it was like my second home and I would almost fall asleep through root canals, crowns, etc.. Then, as I encountered major stresses in my life, I started getting major panic attacks in the dentist chair. My dentist was confused as to why.. He did make a note in his chart not to give me epinephrine or novacaine... instead he used xylocaine.. it has no stimulant. I would take a valium before hand.. I still had to get work done... although it wasnt fun.. and some dentists I had later gave laughing gas, and I hear now advertisements for dentists that give you sedatives.... I hope that this helps.

Closed Thread