It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Are these panic attacks? Please help!

Someone please help me. Driving home from work yesterday I thought I was going to die.
Yesterday went very well, I had a nice day, nothing traumatic or stressful happened to me that I can think of.
Well I was driving on the highway home from work and my heart started pounding so wildly and fast it felt like it was going to beat out of my chest.
Then I felt like someone put a bag over my head and I couldn't breathe and I felt like flashes like I was getting ready to pass out.
I was so scared, I started looking for somewhere to pull off of the road where I could calm down or a business I could pull into and call 911 because I really thought I was going to die. Of course the highway I took is just a small 2 lane country highway with nothing for about 10 miles so I had to keep driving.
This went on for about 2 or 3 minutes I'd say then it finally got to where I could get it somewhat of a breath without feeling like I was suffocating and my heart was still pounding but not nearly as bad.
Since then it feels like I have pressure in my chest and in my back between my shoulder blades. When I feel pressure in my shoulder blades my doctor told me thats from my allergies though draining into my chest making me feel congested.
This is the second attack I've had like this in a year.
I really really couldn't breath, like someone was holding something over my face and I was just sucking in hot air and couldn't breathe.
Also at night I've been having nightmares for no reason and I've never had nightmares all my life. I wake up after these nightmares and it feels like my throat is in convulsions, the back of my throat feels closed off and I can't breathe for a minute after waking up, its like that feeling almost you know if you're upset and crying how your throat tenses up and it feels like your throat is tightening up.
What is wrong with me? Are these panic attacks or something else?
I've also felt a little short of breathe in the shower but not nearly as bad as I've felt these other two times when I've bent over in the shower to shave my legs I get this feeling like I can't breath for a minute or two.
Someone please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
(female)

Mrs.Khan HB User
Re: Are these panic attacks? Please help!

I had a panic attack once after I had a v serious car accident .BUt i came out of it Just by forgetting about the panic attack .If u think that you are having and u can continue to have panic attacks .u definitely will .Just relax and think u r a normal human being .If u have had them 2-3 times doesnt mean u will have them for the rest of ur life .Did u ever have a care accident .y do u have more panic attacks during driving ?is there something related to driving in ur subconscious ?I found some help on the web .May b this will help if mental relaxation wont help
Almost everybody in the USA is deficient in magnesium. There are reports of magnesium being helpful in reducing panic attacks. It is cheap and worth a try--up to about 800 mg/day of elemental magnesium

Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Smile Re: Are these panic attacks? Please help!

Hi Hamilton92

After reading your post I thought to myself "boy this sounds like me"
I wanted to share a post with you that I have on the anxiety board.. I think it will ease your mind knowing that what you are experiencing and describing is most like panic attacks.. I hope the following helps you in some way, I know it's long but I think it's worth reading!!!
My Disease Called Anxiety~By Boxerlover227
Hello to everyone who decided this topic would have been of interest to you.
I decided to sit down and write about my disease, anxiety with panic disorder. So many of us here question whether or not we are alone in what we are feeling. So many of us question whether or not these are indeed symptoms of anxiety. We tell ourselves yeah I have been alittle stressed out lately but not enough to cause all these horrible physical symptoms I am experiencing. Or is it enough? My only interest in writing this is in hopes to find others out there who maybe suffers as well and perhaps "think they are alone" and maybe come to realize they are not and find some comfort in knowing this. Or perhaps you are reading this saying to yourself, boy I know how that person feels I have been down that road more than once and offer some support or advice to others on things that may or may not have helped you. I must note that everything I write today is real life experiences that I myself have had. Nothing is taken out of a text book or off of any website or documentary. They are real feelings, real symptoms, and real daily struggles. Also I must add if you are looking for a short read, this post is also not for you, as I mentioned this is years of struggles and years could not be summed up in two sentences. My true goal in writing this is to possibly help others including myself, or perhaps find or give comfort in others as well.
So everyone knows that feeling you are on an airplane and dropping altitude, you feel a falling sensation from within, it almost causes you to reach for those nice bags they offer you cause your stomach begins to feel queasy, or your in an elevator and you are going up or down, and again you are struck with that dropping, falling sensation. Only thing is you know you are not on an airplane or in an elevator you are sitting at your desk at work, or reading the paper at home, or perhaps just cooking dinner in your kitchen going about your day. So what just happened? Your mind starts going on overdrive, Did I just have a stroke? I am having a heart attack that must be it? You begin to Have hot and cold flashes, you feel pins and needles all over, your heart rate starts to speed up, your chest is hurting cause your heart is pounding so hard, you feel like you can't catch your breath, a smothering sensation, like a pillow being placed over your face, you feel the urge to crawl out of your body and run, but where? Where is your safe place? Your head feel so heavy like you just had a mask of funny gas placed over your face Your legs can't possibly hold you up anymore they are so weak and shaky, you know you are going to pass out at any moment, BUT you don't so now what?
Your in the grocery store, already you are having a hard time focusing and walking down the aisle without falling over, so you fingers are gripped to the cart for balance purposes. You approached the check out and suddenly you feel hot and cold all over, your starting to feel like you might pass out or perhaps go crazy. everyone's voices become much louder but for some strange reason you can't understand what they are saying, the fluorescent lights seemed intensely bright, you knees start to feel that shakiness you know all so well. You suddenly have the urge to leave and run to that safe place again, the sheer terror is beyond anything you could control. You shove your cart to the side inspite the need for food, and run as fast as you can out of the store. You wonder to yourself, again what just happened? Your still feeling the effects of panic. Your trembling fumbling for your keys, your still trying to catch your breath, driving away for the store approaching your home you begin to feel your heart rate slowing down. Why is this happening? I feel like I am losing my mind. Realistically I know that there was no reason for fear, but why does my body and mind seem to think there is? Suddenly, for no immediate reason, my body was overwhelmed by a surge of elemental panic. Everything seems to race out of control, I could feel my vision go off, everything faded out and became detached, and my heart felt like it wanted to jump out of my chest. Is this just panic and anxiety or is there really something physically wrong with me? There has to be something wrong, I know there is.. These are all the thoughts that follow hours, and days, and weeks after.. Which trigger the feelings all over again. Like a spinning wheel just keeps going around and around. But how do you over come this? I know next time I will breath better, I will tell myself over and over again that there is nothing to fear, I will handle it better next time....
Next time Your driving along singing to your favorite song, suddenly you are stopped at a red light, A red light that seems like an eternity to change to green, suddenly this overwhelming fear comes over you, your breathing starts to become fast and shallow, the song you were just singing along to begins to sound distorted, your beginning to feel detached, your trembling so hard you can hear your teeth chattering, your chest is hurting, your heart is pounding, you start to feel your vision blur, Your lightheaded and just know at any moment you are going to pass out.
I have to get out, those are the thoughts running through your head, You begin to feel like everything around you is closing in. You are sure this time that you are dying. The light turns green, you proceed with traffic, suddenly you are struck with a intense headache, pressure feeling to be exact.
Your still feeling the effects of what your body just went through, You keep asking yourself what just happened, If I only could make it home I will be okay. You pull up to your house and you feel a sense of being safe. You spend hours, feeling the effects of fear, terror and adrenaline that just raced through your body. You ask your self why?
You would think by now your body was so use to the surges, But in fact each and everytime the feelings and symptoms are just as strong as if you were experiencing them for the first time... Again you promise your self next time I will handle it better.
You begin to research... And research and yup you guessed it you have every single symptom or every single disease out there. You begin to obsess and believe you are plagued with everyone of these illnesses, and this in turn causes you to obsess about it day in and day out. You wake up feeling sick and go to bed feeling sick. You experience every symptom form a chronic rapid heart rate, to chills and hot flashes, upset stomach, headaches, dizziness, disattachment from yourself, even disappointment in yourself.
You stop doing all the things you once loved and enjoyed. Everything you do has become a major challenge to this beast. You start to feel as if your life is not in your control anymore. You can't control these feelings, you have tried over and over again.. You simply feel like you are going to die at the hands of this beast. BUT you don't.. You continue to live in a vicious cycle of fear, and terror along with an array of symptoms that are horrific.
There are so many treatments out there for suffers just like myself. There are medications, therapies, and most of all support groups such as this one that can help others to feel comfort in knowing that they are not by any means alone. I feel that this is the most effective for me, speaking to others who know what it feels like first hand, who understands your daily struggle, offers you support and comfort when perhaps you can't find that in the one's you spend most of your days with. My sole purpose today is to offer that support, share my terror of anxiety disorder with you all and hope that somebody out there reads this and finds some kind of comfort... Believe me feeling alone in this makes everything more of a challenge.
I must mention that there are illnesses that mimic anxiety as well as trigger anxiety, so proper diagnosis is important, Once you are diagnosed and know you suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder, The Rest OF the Battle is excepting the fact that this really is anxiety!!!
I hope reading this has help many of you. I know writing it has helped me some.. Still I continue to battle my daily struggle with anxiety disease and panic disorder.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all you suffers such as myself.

If you have any thoughts or questions Hamiltion92 Just let me know, your not alone I am a panic suffer as well.. Good Luck Boxerlover227

Last edited by boxerlover227; 10-14-2006 at 09:19 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to boxerlover227 For This Useful Post:
MaryA (01-24-2011)
Old 10-15-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
(female)

jules174 HB User

hi boxerlover227, THANKYOU... I live my life with the same anxiety, fear and panic attacks. I'm new to this healthboard but have read mostly every post, your post has helped me. I have lived off and on like this for 15yrs but at the moment I am experiencing a terrible struggle. Its like its all come back to bite me all at once. Ha and there was me thinking I was "normal" again....

Old 10-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
(female)

dink66 HB User

My initial panic attack followed about two weeks of feeling like my head was going to pop off my shoulders, blurred vision, chest tightness, difficulty breathing, racing pulse, neck and shoulder pain, poor sleep. One morning I woke to find my heart beating 130 times a minute, went to the doctor, then the ER. was given Ativan (that knocked my socks off), and was sent home. We never did determine the cause of my panic, only that anxiety disorder tends to run in my family. I have a brother who was initially diagnosed as Depressed, but now they say is Bipolar. His son is Bipolar, my Grandmother, Mother, and Sister have all had their bouts with Depression as well. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Hey Jules174~
You are truly welcome I can totally understand your fears and struggles with this disorder, I am glad my post has helped you! I am usually on the anxiety board at healthboards so if you need comfort or support I am here!
All My best Boxerlover227

Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much for posting boxerlover.
I used to have really really bad panic attacks about 5 years ago.
They came on for no reason at all just one day I left the house like I normally do to run some errands and I freaked out and panicked and thought I was going to die right in the middle of the grocery store.
I couldn't breathe, felt like I was going to pass out and had to get home.
As soon as I was in the front door of my home I started to calm down and within half an hour I was fine again.
But every time I tried to get in the car to go somewhere they came back.
I got a hold of a mobile outreach program that one of the hospitals in my area had that the counselors come to your home to talk with you and bring you meds.
They started me on Paxil and I took that for about a month and slowly weaned myself off of them and the panic attacks went away for about a year.
They came back a year later and lasted about another six months after a serious car accident.
Well I haven't had a panic attack since and thats been like I said about five years ago.
Its just this time my breathing is different. Before when I had panic attacks my breathing would speed up and I would hyperventilate making myself almost pass out but this time is really really different.
I really really can't breathe. It was as if I was sucking in nothing but hot air and I wasn't anxious about driving and felt fine just driving along listening to the radio. It helped me calm down when I rolled down the window in the car and let the cool air get in. Do you feel that way too when you get short of breath from a panic attack that you really can't breath its almost like holding your breath or someone is squeezing your windpipe and your trying to breath in at the same time?
Now since that has happened I can feel my chest and behind my shoulder blades especially tighten up and I get short of breath for a moment.
Even just lying in bed at home tonight watching tv I got that feeling for a few minutes but didn't have a panic attack.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Oh also I forgot to tell that when my panic attacks started back last month, the really bad one that I had in the car on the way home after it was over and my heart rate was slowing down and I could actually take somewhat of a breath again I got this extreme hot flash on the right side of my head and face, it felt as if it started at the back of my neck and it was like an intense rush of heat that started at the back of my neck and came around in a wave across my ear and my ear and side of my face felt like it was on fire and I got a really bad headache on that side as well.
Does that also sound like that was part of a panic attack?

Closed Thread